This Boy's Life - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

This Boy's Life Reviews

August 9, 2016
True story about the life of Tobias Wolf, who in his teens moves with his mom and new step dad to rural Oregon, where his new family awaits. The teen is soon surprised to learn that his new home has strict discipline enforced by his new stepfather and will soon endure physical and verbal abuse by the hands of his stepfather as well. DeNiro is remarkable as the arrogant breadwinner and DiCaprio (in his first featured role) is equally mesmerizing as he portrays a young man, although troubled, is genuine and frightened of his new lifestyle, This drama is no classic by any means but it is a compelling biopic.
August 4, 2016
DiCaprio, De Niro and Barkin are all three giving the performances of their lives in this drama filled story about a single mother and her son strolling through an abusing nature of life, of course all given by the legendary Robert De Niro. Take it from me, if you haven't seen this movie, please, do us all a favor, including myself, SEE THIS ONE.
½ July 16, 2016
Love This movie. Ellen Barkin is gorgeous, sexy, (I usually don't use that word for women since I am one), but she is that and much more. So under rated.
One of the BEST Actresses, besides her perfect looks. Am turned off by most Liberal Hollywood, to the degree that I have boycotted most of them. But if the movie is as good as this one I might give in and watch again! Trump2016
June 11, 2016
Un primerizo Di Caprio en un drama madre-hijo sin desperdicio . sobre el como sobrellevar la pubertad y la adolescencia bajo la sombra de un padrastro republicano, abusivo y castrante. De Niro tambien hace un buen trabajo, e intenten localizar a Tobey "SpiderMan" Maguire.
January 17, 2016
Starts off pretty strong, but eventually gets a little tired. You've got the trope 1950's promiscuous, single mom who goes from one terrible boyfriend to the next. The dead beat step dad and the reckless bad kid. It's all really well acted and all. But I'll probably never watch it again. Maybe if you grew up in that era or in a home like that you can relate more, but I can only watch so many movies that like to paint the 50's and 60's like this.
½ October 7, 2015
really good film, leo has always been such a good actor
½ May 19, 2015
A very cute film with a star making performance in one of DiCaprio's first leading roles. Ellen Barkin is wonderful and shows what an underused talent she is these days. De Niro is remarkable in this, one of his best performances from a movie in the last 20 years. Great writing, costumes, and hair design.
April 15, 2015
Not too bad. I mean it kept me watching and the acting was excellent. De Niro was a dick and DiCaprio was sympathetic.
January 30, 2015
What a bummer of a movie. The movie should be called adults that make stupid decisions and some bratty kids.
December 9, 2014
So great. I'm really glad we could see DiCaprio and De Niro pairing up to produce one hell of a movie. The book by Tobias Wolff is an awesome real-life experience, also.
August 11, 2014
slow, but great acting job by deniro. you can kinda see Leo's acting chops start to develop
August 10, 2014
This movie reveals to me that Leonardo Dicaprio was a born ready actor ... Guys don't miss this movie !
½ August 5, 2014
Interesting look at this kid's life. Really great acting from the whole cast. Leo DiCaprio is wonderful as Tobias (often going by the name Jack in here though.) Even from a young age the raw, natural talent shines through. Such a great actor. And DeNiro is terrifying but in an almost comical way as his tough-guy, domineering stepdad.
½ July 12, 2014
Something about this doesn't quite work as well as it should. There's still some good performances but overall it's a bit dull and a only scratches the surface.
½ June 30, 2014
Good period drama, tough roles.
June 10, 2014
Painful to watch at times as we see the main character, Toby (played by the consistently talented Leonardo DiCaprio), suffer through verbal and physical abuse from his stepfather, Dwight (Robert De Niro). This film presents a realistic portrayal of a marriage gone wrong and how familial abuse is unfortunately more common than we think it is.
½ May 18, 2014
Dicaprio's movie debut, This Boy's life similar to many movies during this time period shows family problems from multiple perspectives.
The highly talented cast sure helps portray the lives of the 3 main characters.
This somewhat of a biopic is a great movie on its own but if not for that watch it just to see De Niro beat the fuck out of teenage Dicaprio and vice versa! And of course just to see Ellen Barkin too.
May 16, 2014
A drama, whose story was already told a hundred times, this time with great performances. Still nothing special.
½ May 15, 2014
How DeNiro was not even nominated for an oscar as best supporting actor as the abusive stepfather in "This Boy's Life" is an out rage.
½ May 15, 2014