This Is Spinal Tap Reviews

• 5d ago

A classic, scathing lampoon of every successful rock band that's ever been guilty of taking themselves too seriously. Rob Reiner directs (and plays an important supporting role) but it seems like all he really needed to do was point a camera in the right direction, then edit several hours' worth of golden improvisational delight into a concise, intelligible ninety-minute package. It's a roaring parade of nonstop laughs, some blunt and easy, others sharp and witty. Famous bits like Christopher Guest's "this one goes to eleven" have been played to death but still elicit smiles, while deeper cuts, such as the band's reaction to contemporary critics or their infamous Stonehenge performance, land as if they were brand new. And the music is great, too, not just as a cutting satire, but as a convincing love letter to the days when power rock was all the rage and flocks of buzzed, well-feathered teens would still pack a stadium to hear the loudest noise on the planet. An enduring masterpiece.

• 6d ago

"This is Spinal Tap" is definitely not a poop sandwich. Turn it up to 11 and press play. The movie only gets better each time it's watched.

• Aug 01, 2019

So real its scarey.In fact if you did a documentary on some old british heavy metal band it really wouldn't much different this movie.

• Jul 12, 2019

Big Bottom is the greatest rock song in history.

Big Bottom is the greatest rock song in history.

• Jun 27, 2019

This Is Spinal Tap is a 1984 Mock-rockumentary directed by Rob Reiner. The film stars Christopher Guest as Nigel Tufnel, Michael McKean as David St. Hubbins and Harry Shearer as Derek Smalls. The story follows a director Marty DiBergi who wants to make a Rockumentary on a rock band (Spinal Tap) who are going on tour in the USA. The premise I personally loved, and I thought that it was pulled off extremely well. The acting was very strong especially the three main members of Spinal Tap (Nigel, David and Derek), I felt that they fit the characters perfectly and all gave a great performance. The characters in my opinion were also portrayed really well, and were extremely entertaining to watch on screen. The characters also had good chemistry and bounced off of each other really well, especially Spinal Tap and their manager Ian Faith. The film also had some really strong editing and cinematography, to make it feel like a real documentary. The sets and costumes in my opinion were also done really well, especially whenever Spinal Tap would be on stage. Personally I don't care very much for rock music, but luckily in this film its done in a mocking but still loving way. The comedy in my opinion is hands down the strongest aspect of the film, especially from how it mocks the musicians and music of the rocking world. The film I also found to be really enjoyable, and I hope to watch it again soon. Over all I give it a 9/10

• Jun 22, 2019

Hilarious rockumentary/mockumentary. It smartly skewers the Heavy Metal scene, without mocking it in mean-spirited fashion. Soo many quotable lines. This one goes to 11.

• May 07, 2019

If you watch it tonight, it will rock you tonight.

If you watch it tonight, it will rock you tonight.

• May 02, 2019

This movie is fucking brilliant. The way Rob Reiner was able to make it seem candid like an actual documentary while making it hilarious is genius. There's a lot of what seems like genuine reactions to scenes in the movie that make it that much funnier. The whole backstage sandwich and food scene was hilarious. The whole hand held carmen feel to it makes it that much more believable that it is indeed a documentary. The song they play are actually good. You get the feeling that a lot of the interactions and scenes in this movie are improvised which makes for the best comedy if it's done right. And they definitely do it right here. Damn, that black TSA girl was foxy. The whole Stonehenge bit was so funny. The acting was so good and they played there roles brilliantly. Plenty of dead pan and dry humor. I loved it.

• Mar 08, 2019

Easily the most dull, boring, unfunny comedy to every be released. Go watch Norbit instead, you can thank me later.

• Jan 22, 2019

Every scene and every line is obnoxiously stupid, over the top, and endlessly repeatable. The music, though obviously a parody of the British glam metal scene of the 80's, expertly making fun of the greats such as Def Leppard while still paying tribute to the influence of the band.