The Three Faces of Eve - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Three Faces of Eve Reviews

May 16, 2016
Joan Woodward nos ofrece una gran actuación (Obtuvo el premio de la Academia) interpretando a una mujer con trastorno de personalidad múltiple. Basada en hechos reales, la película también cuenta con un sólido Lee J. Cobb como el psiquiatra que intenta ayudarla.
March 27, 2015
The Three Faces Of Eve offers an interesting look into the real life story about a woman suffering from Multiple Personality Disorder, with Joanne Woodward and Lee J Cobb's top notch performances making up for the few minor historical inaccuracies.
½ October 18, 2014
Very much enjoyed it. Very realistic, but it seems a bit outdated. Very good acting.
October 1, 2014
Woodward and Cobb give great performances but the fascinating story is brought to us in a very twee way.
½ May 7, 2014
Joanne Woodward's first attempt at playing a woman with multiple personalities (and believe it or not, there are a couple) is okay although it seems to play the psychiatric condition for thrills much more than it should. Not a mature view of a disease.
May 3, 2014
Thought this movie does not fit the entire criteria of a psychological thriller it does have a very good potential of being one. But due to its nature calling it a drama filled with mystery is rather more suitable. And the best thing about The Three Face of Eve is that the viewer gets to know the plot somewhat in detail at the right beginning of the movie and the narrations made in intervals yet the curiosity of the background is never lost but improved by it. And I believe that this is one of the best movies based on true events and a biography surrounding psychology that actually starts and ends strong than a fiction.
The Three Faces of Eve is based on the true story of a woman named Chris Costner Sizemore (Best known as Eve White) who was suffering from the rare condition of multiple personalities. The whole movie is a clinical experience as the script is largely based on actual medical records provided by her psychiatrists. Only possible explanation I can provide of the plot (without revealing too much) is that it's based on the treatments which Eve went through and the sessions with her psychiatrists. Though it might sound a bit too predictable or boring as a plot for a movie it actually is deep and very interesting. And surprisingly it hits a very strong climax.
It is evidently low budget and played only with very few characters but the strength of the plot does not depend in such big numbers of investment of actors. It is purely a very fascinating case to witness for us mundane everyday people. We have seeing multiple personalities in more of movies based on thriller category than mystery category and for me this was an eye opener to certain disbeliefs that I had over such individual created by other fictional movies.
Coming back to the production the movie was after the book written by psychiatrists Corbett H. Thigpen and Hervey M. Cleckley. And it's directed by Nunnally Johnson. Joanne Woodward plays the character (or rather three characters) of Eve and without a doubt it is brilliant. To prove it she won the Oscar for best actress in 1957 for her performance in this. The Three Faces of Eve is a very character driven movie just like most of the classics are. And it makes it a movie worth watching which eventually gives the viewer a certain insight to people and their personalities. You may explain this story as clinical, scientific or sexual but whatever it is it will make you think.
½ March 16, 2014
I had never seen this one before. Woodward is great and deserved her Best Actress Oscar and it was nice to see the great character actor Lee J Cobb in a fairly substantial role. Give it a try if you like classics!
February 27, 2014
A priceless classic from start to finish. Every1 needs to add this film to their collection.
½ December 22, 2013
One of the best movies ever made for a reason.
PantaOz
½ December 4, 2013
This adaptation based on a book by psychiatrists Corbett H. Thigpen and Hervey M. Cleckley, who also helped write the screenplay was directed as a case study. Literally... from the beginning when (at that time famous) Alistair Cooke shows up to introduce the film, we know that the fact-based story will be recreated as close as possible to the real events in the life of Chris Costner Sizemore, also known as Eve White, a woman they suggested might suffer from multiple personality disorder. Sizemore's identity was concealed in interviews and this film, and was not revealed to the public until 1975.

Joanne Woodward won the Academy Award for Best Actress, making her the first actress to win an Oscar for portraying three different personalities (Eve White, Eve Black and Jane). The Three Faces of Eve also became the first film to win the Best Actress award without getting nominated in another category, and the last for nearly 31 years until Jodie Foster won the award for The Accused, the film's sole nomination. It is understandable - because only Woodward's acting was outstanding - everything else could be improved - especially the directing, camera work, photography and editing! Too many clichés left a movie about three personalities without a personality itself. I can see now how far the artistic value of the films is changed or improved. This seemed really daring at the time, now it is too simplistic to actually satisfy my cravings for a good engaging movie. It is like getting those old Atari game consoles out of the attic instead of the latest X-Box and prefer to play with it. It has a sentimental value, not much more in our modern time where movies are not black and white. On the other hand, there are some films from those times which will stand the test of the time forever, because they were never following the entertaining industry rules and formulas - they were following the urge of the artist... those are the movies which will survive through all the times and gaining value, like those old valuable paintings in the Louvre.

Joanne Woodward's acting will survive... the movie... I already forgot about it.
½ September 1, 2013
Guess the shifting of personalities were simplified for a laymen to understand it easily. While I liked the performances, I found it difficult to swallow the stuff and be mesmerized by its taste. I found this in the suggestion box for Sybil, and find it perfectly fit in there, be it for MPD or for the genuineness of their story. Cooke starts it with an ironic note of "This is a true story" comment, and was good as a narrator. The movie hasn't dated well, and I'd have liked Hitchcock to have treat this extraordinary (as for its time) story.
August 4, 2013
Está más que claro que las actuaciones son notables, sobre todo la de Joanne Woodward, que deslumbra en este filme interpretando a un personaje interesante en una película con una historia que básicamente lo parecía, y que sin embargo pudo dar mucho más de sí.
May 6, 2013
This being a true story, it actually was pretty interesting. This is definitely the best movie I've seen about this Disorder!
April 28, 2013
A well-deserved Oscar for Joanne Woodward. She was truly amazing in this film. No over the top acting, like you usually see in actors playing multiple personalities. Every personality has its nuances, but never over the top. She did AMAZING!!! Well acted, intriguing story. I was expecting the reveal for the split personality to be more dramatic, but it was still creepy enough.
March 11, 2013
Great acting, good film.
½ February 27, 2013
Read the short story.
February 6, 2013
An early, too simplistic Hollywood melodrama about split personality, well acted by Joanne Woodward in an Oscar-winning performance.
January 8, 2013
can't describe how great this movie is. everyone should see it.
December 15, 2012
I didn't like the revelation at the end (about what caused her split personalities*), but this was a a fairly straightforward--but good--look at something that's been done to death in the interim.

*SPOILER* I kept thinking it would be revealed that the split was caused by her obviously abusive husband. I forgot that this movie was made in 1957 when stuff like that was a bit more tolerated.
½ November 20, 2012
Disturbing view of mental illness-well-done by Joanne Woodward.