Tigers Are Not Afraid (Vuelven) Reviews

• Oct 10, 2019

"Tigers Are Not Afraid" is at once heartbreaking, horrifying, and brilliant. The movie follows Estrella, a young girl caught in the middle of the Mexican drug war who, after being taught about fairy tales in school, is given three wishes. But on her return home, she finds her mother missing and must strike out on her own, meeting up with a group of boys whose families have also gone missing or been killed. As she uses her wishes, she finds that they each come with a catch. Now in possession of a gangster's phone and being tracked by the gang's leader, the group must run for their lives, all while Estrella continues to see fantastical images and encounters with the dead. Comparing this film to "Pan's Labyrinth" or even "The Monkey's Paw" is not unfair, both in terms of how the story is told and the general theme, that of escaping into fantasy to distance oneself from the horrors of the world, and of being careful what you wish for. The imagery is not quite as fantastical as "Pan's Labyrinth" and is actually more akin to that of a modern horror film than a fantasy epic. The acting is decently done, especially for a movie that focuses primarily on the children. You can feel an enormous uncertainty expressed by these kids, which matches the feeling of children being cast out into the world on their own with no idea where to go or what to do. At the same time, watching what these kids go through is not easy. This can be a difficult film with challenging themes and imagery. I know that there are some out there that may not be able to stomach some of the themes and events depicted, so be warned. But if you can, it's a rewarding experience, which is a testament to the film and the talents of those involved. If the audience doesn't FEEL a film like this, then it wouldn't be worth your time. With the kind of emotion this film invokes, though, it's definitely a must see, in my opinion.

• Oct 07, 2019

wow! I dont scare easily but this movie made me jump a few times and did give me goosebumps. also we should help more kids in mexico. we should sent american bad ass delta force kill squads to get bad men like these.

• Oct 05, 2019

It's so sad movie. For these children the world is so cruel.

It's so sad movie. For these children the world is so cruel.

• Oct 04, 2019

A dark, twisted fantasy film unlike anything I've *ever* seen before blending Mexico-set narcotics crime drama, horror, & children's fairy tales w/ hallucinogenic direction & brilliance in social-consciousness narrative. Masterpiece; the best film of 2019. 9.7/10.

• left
    Oct 03, 2019

I personally loved it! It made me cry!

I personally loved it! It made me cry!

• Sep 25, 2019

Kind of a mess. Watch The Devil's Backbone instead.

Kind of a mess. Watch The Devil's Backbone instead.

• Sep 25, 2019

Raw, fearless, heartbreaking, powerful, and unforgettable, ‘Tigers Are Not Afraid' tells a story that takes a lot of courage, honesty and strength and this movie shows that that was put to the furthest degree. This is a film that needed to be told and it was told with a ton of extra help including deep passion in surroundings, heavy writing, and unbelievable acting talent- some of the best I've seen all year in fact.

• Sep 24, 2019

TIGERS ARE NOT AFRAID RATING: 3.6/5 So right off the bat, let me say that this movie is definitely not like Guillermo Del Toro's Pan's Labyrinth. Yeah, there's kids, the movie is in Spanish, and there's a supernatural element, but that's where the similarities pretty much stop. If anything, this is a modern day adaptation of The Monkeys Paw more than anything else. This movie pretty much lives and dies depending on whether you like these homeless kids, because the special effects just aren't enough to really keep your interest since they're used so sparingly. That being said, the kids aren't bad. They're homeless because their families have been either murdered or kidnapped by the cartel, and they have no one else but each other. They have a camaraderie that carries them through the life they endure, which mainly entails scavenging and avoiding being kidnapped by the cartel. The main character joins these kids because her mom ends up missing one day, after she gets home from school and she doesn't know where else to turn. You'd think she'd tell her school teacher but instead, she turns to the homeless kids she sees in the neighborhood, and the story kicks into gear from there. If i had to say anything bad about the film, it's that i don't think the lead actress is as strong as the supporting cast, nor as interesting. The boys kinda run circles around her as having more depth and charisma. Outside the monkey's paw she carries, which is 3 pieces of chalk for 3 wishes here, she doesn't really offer much else as a character. Her first wish opens her up to small supernatural omens which she can't make sense of until the end. It's a little predictable in that way, but then the kids get into legitimate danger with the cartel, adding a new element that stops things from getting too predictable. Oh, and occasionally the English subtitles wouldn't quite capture what was really said in Spanish, so some jokes didn't translate over, but the gist of it was there. Overall, the film's okay. Nowhere near the level of Pan's Labyrinth, but still enjoyable for what it is. You definitely don't have to rush to see this, but if one day you find yourself with some free time on your hands, i don't think it's a movie you'd regret watching.

• Sep 20, 2019

Absolutely beautiful movie! A testimony to the strenght in children when confronted with situations they should never have to deal with in the 1st place. Also the music score by Vince Pope adds a layer of sweet emotions that go hand in hand with the story told by Issa Lopez.

• Sep 16, 2019

It's an ok/good movie that had a lot of potential based on the premise. Unfortunately it's not scary and the characters sometimes make ridiculous decisions, which cheapens the movie's impact. The acting is really good and the kids should be commended. I was hoping for more based on the recommendations I saw for it. But I did like the dark subject matter and the movie going places where most filmmakers don't wander.