Tokyo Godfathers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tokyo Godfathers Reviews

September 10, 2016
Beautiful story. Amazing characters. Perfect direction.
½ July 31, 2016
Very good movie,even if it does get a bit corny with one or two scenes. That said, it's very heartwarming and the characters are all fun and loveable. You find yourself wanting to know them more and wanting to see them succeed. This is when anime is at its finest, in my opinion: when the story isn't flashy and the focus is the characters, and these are great characters. Definitely recommend this to anyone.
July 20, 2016
Few people are aware that the ideas behind both INCEPTION and BLACK SWAN were taken from Japanese Anime titled PAPRIKA and PERFECT BLUE. Both of those anime were directed by a person named Satoshi Kon. For that reason, I decided to look up other films that this man had made, and found TOKYO GODFATHERS listed amongst his most popular. It's is about a makeshift family of bums that find a thrown out baby in the trash and decide to keep it. They go on a little adventure to find it's parents. Overall, I wasn't impressed at all. I watch a lot of anime nowadays and this was pretty boring compared to most. Very dull, with a few characteristics of what most would perceive as an actual cartoon. That's one of the features that made this bad. Good anime is usually more complicated and serious-toned than most American live-action movies. TOKYO GODFATHERS was too uneventful with some fanciful moments took away the somber atmosphere. On a side note, PAPRIKA and PERFECT BLUE are fantastic thought provoking Anime.
½ June 14, 2016
I keep hearing this is Satoshi Kon's "worst film" ,but going into this without seeing "Perfect Blue" or "Millenium Actress" I found that I really enjoy this movie. I got this as a Christmas present to myself and I was really satisfied as it is a really good movie for the holiday season...albeit one that might not be for the whole family on account on its language and occasional violence ,but that's nothing against the film. I'm just saying don't watch it with young kids just because it's a cartoon.
May 31, 2016
An unappreciated film that never been released on Blu-ray. What the hell are you thinking. What a cinematic experience of this film is by is true art of animation. Watched it in it's true and home language set. I definitely do appreciate how this film, you should too.

Grade
A perfect 10
May 24, 2016
This seems to be many peoples least favorite Satoshi Kon film, and I'll be honest, I love this one, it might be my favorite Kon film. Not only are the visuals some of the best I've seen in any of his feature films, but I think it's near a perfect movie. Tokyo Godfathers cleverly mixes in the dark and dramatic with warmth and humor into it as well with fantastic and surprisingly very believable characters, an interesting plot, and again, incredible visuals. I'm not sure if this is Satoshi Kon's best film, but of all the movies he has made, Tokyo Godfathers is the one that I wish I could make.
March 3, 2016
real funny. but its trying to be too funny too often while dealing with serious topics, & so doesn't deal with those life topics that well; nor resolve them except in an unrealistic & lucky manner.
½ March 2, 2016
A Japanese anime captures the bitter-sweet poignancy of what it means to be 'christmasy' better than anything in the cut-and-paste Western canon.
December 28, 2015
I was expecting something deeper from the characters. Turned out, it was the major let-down. The story, recycled. Depth, none. The only thing that made this watchable was the last part, which was really fun. Another thing to take note is the light tone it set from the very beginning that it carried throughout the movie, which is good. I just hoped they could add more depth to their potentially-interesting characters.
December 28, 2015
Hermoso anime , buena ense˝anza :) .
December 23, 2015
It a movie about three homeless people who find a baby in the trash and try to bring it back to her parents. Plus its a Christmas movie. Whats not to love?
½ December 19, 2015
A cast of lovable characters that feel as real as flesh and bone, Tokyo Godfathers strings together a narrative that builds to its many emotional moments.
August 24, 2015
Something akin to Studio Ghibli as it is just so different from the sea of endless Mechas, Demon/Vampire hunters, and Martial Artists.

With great storytelling, characters, humor and sappy moments, it almost feels as real as a live action film. The animation is top notch quality. Awesome use of muted tones to set the mood of the environment.
June 26, 2015
A bizarre film really. A christmas story about 3 tramps that find an abandoned baby and go on a subsequent adventure. It's gritty and violent, so not a good choice for a family christmas film but a good one for open minded adults. I found that it drooped a bit in the latter stages. The animation was interesting as I'm fairly sure that a lot of the background shots were actual photograhps of tokyo mixed in, which I thought was quite original.
June 5, 2015
An out-of-this-world anime film!
I did appreciate it and felt well entertained while watching it on an airplane flight recently.

I'm always amazed at the European/western elements anime films sometimes contain. This one is a take on the christmas story.
The characters and the story is complex and meandering, like an improvisation, but it does all make sense in the end.

What I did not like about the movie is the stereotyping of "the lowest of the low" which the three homeless people represent - the catholic "sinners in need of the mercy of forgiving".
I am especially having problems with the effeminate homeless drag queen character.
It seems to be inspired by "Spider Woman" but it's really quite an awful clichee that's spooled off here.

But the film does have its share of great moments, great visual impressions of a wintery cityscape, enough epic plot twists and a warm heart after all.

While it wasn't my favorite anime ever I was struck by its remarkable complexity and appreciated seeing it.
June 4, 2015
My favorite Satoshi Kon movie and my favorite Christmas movie. This is some of slickest dialogue you'll hear anywhere in anime. Add Kon's expertise in character development, storytelling, and surreal imagery and you get one incredible film.
April 2, 2015
Wonderful animation, amusing characters and a beautiful story-line full of depth and meaning! Loved every minute!
March 11, 2015
Funny, weird, beautiful, and sad. It's a well-told story. Personally, it's my favorite of Satoshi Kon's work; he was one of the greats of film, IMO, who died way, way too young. Such a shame we won't get to see what else he could have done.
½ March 7, 2015
A bit of an oddball among animated films, but beautifully done and masterfully put together. With a charming storyline following a runaway teen, a homeless drunk, and a loveable transvestite working together to return an abandoned infant.
December 25, 2014
Awesome film! From the heartwarming story to the amazing characters, one of the best anime films I've seen 5/5 and two thumbs up!