Tokyo Godfathers Reviews

• Sep 08, 2020

Wikipedia describes Satoshi Kon's third film as an "anime holiday, adventure, comedy-drama"—a clumsy chimera of a classification not unlike the patchwork faux-Holy Family at the story's center. Foregoing the cinematic psychedelia and self-conscious metatextuality of his other works for a tender humanist glimpse into the familial, financial, and emotional struggles of urbanism's most marginalized and invisible citizens, Kon sacrifices none of his characteristic idiosyncrasy or psychological insight. The audience is reminded time and again, by the main troika no less, that they are just "homeless bums" and not "action-movie heroes," having subjectively ingrained Capitalism's constant devaluation and disenfranchisement of the destitute, and so having to learn to take stock in the singular joy of the loving relationships they share with one another, by no means guaranteed to any of the wealthier (that other kind of godfather, in particular) people that they run across in their adventures. That, of course, is the meaning of the film's nativity setting, which treats the kings as merely side characters and centers the plights and flights of the dispossessed instead.

• Sep 03, 2020

Very interesting intriguing anime movie. This movie has heart and soul and this is the kind of anime movie that I've been looking for. It makes sense, nothing is dumb and if you want to start watching anime movies watch this first.

• Jul 25, 2020

Homeless people in Japan are out of sight, out of mind. Fascinating to see a movie that gives a human dimension. It's possible to find sympathy for the main characters and even empathy. You'll find yourself caring about them and I personally found the story of their lives even more engrossing than the main plot. There are a lot of emotional hooks and while many events may appear as a little too convenient, viewers have to suspend disbelief and tell themselves that miracles are afoot. Overall a superb film and dreadfully underrated.

• Jul 07, 2020

this could have well been called a story about multiple small miracles

this could have well been called a story about multiple small miracles

• Jun 14, 2020

Ci sono 3 cose che mi sono piaciute di questo film. La prima è che dipinge la città di Tokyo con delle tinte davvero cupe e realistiche cosa a cui, noi occidentali, non siamo per niente abituati, infatti molti di noi hanno ancora un'immagine idealizzata del Giappone; decisamente affascinante ma forse troppo lontana dalla realtà. La seconda è la scrittura dei personaggi: sembra che dietro ci sia un accurato studio sulla vita dei clochard della metropoli, i tre protagonisti sono decisamente memorabili. La terza e ultima è il fatto che si tratti di un film che rientra a pieno titolo tra i "Christmas movies" però non sembrerebbe tale (a parte per la neve) perché, effettivamente, quanto mai potrebbero percepirlo un Natale dei barboni?

• Jun 01, 2020

Very interesting intriguing anime movie. This movie has heart and soul and this is the kind of anime movie that I’ve been looking for. It makes sense, nothing is dumb and if you want to start watching anime movies watch this first.

• Apr 09, 2020

Fun romp of a movie, silliness can get overboard at times but following these characters was a treat.

• Apr 09, 2020

Honestly, thought this movie was SO swag. This movie was slippin' and a slidin', peepin' and a hidin', skeetin' and a vibin'. Not gonna lie, man, thought this movie was the Godfather Part II at first! But my swag got the best of me, and apparently, I was wrong, man! Have a great one, guys. Catch me on my hoverboard at the local Pizza Hut!

• Apr 04, 2020

This is a great movie. It is funny, exciting, and the characters are nice and you get to like them. the problem is it is often Silly, and makes homelessness seem less serious than it is. I mean, it is ok to have fun with it and it is an anime movie, but it was a bit too Zip Zop Zoobity Bop! If you get that reference then you know what I'm talking about with this movie. I really like this film, but certain silly elements and a bad music score overall underwhelms you to multiple viewings over time. It has some Great animation at times, and it gets at serious issues with life, abandonment, purpose, and how a life can go wrong even when you are a good person. It is Definitely worth a watch, however, and is still a great and memorable film. I'm not sure why this says 2020, because this is Not a 2020 film.

• Mar 12, 2020

Just got to see this one remastered with a new english dub (i know i know) in theaters and I was pleasantly surprised! Taking place on Christmas Eve through a few days the movie follows three homeless people. Gin (Jon Avner) an older man who has a regretful past, Miyuki (Victoria Grace) a run away 15 year old girl and Hana (Shakina Nayfack) a trans women who wishes she could have been a mother. The three of them stumble across an abandoned baby when digging through the trash along with a bag which includes a key. Gin and Miyuki think they should turn the baby into the police, but Hana is persistent that they should try and find the baby's parents and figure out why she was abandoned. What happens next becomes a huge adventure with the three of them running in on a mobsters wedding, an assassination attempt and even a huge car chase through the streets of Tokyo. I really enjoyed this one. I wanted to see it for quite some time and glad to have caught it in theaters. The movie has a lot of heart to it and you figure out the back story of the three main characters. Each has a pretty tragic story and by the end I really cared about what happened to them. The bantering between them all is great and they really have good chemistry. The animation here is wonderful too. The city of Tokyo is alive and it's just not he glamorous shots you're used to seeing. The film shows the "ugly" side of things with trash piling on streets and run down apartment buildings. It's a solid film from the late director Satoshi Kon and Shogo Furuya. Definitely, recommend checking this one out!