Tombstone - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tombstone Reviews

June 23, 2017
Difficulty one of the best movies of both Kurt Russell and Val Kilmer!
June 4, 2017
One of the best Western movies! Love it and will never get tired of watching it.
June 3, 2017
A fun movie with good performances,(Especially from Val Kilmer). However, the performances are the only recovery this movie contains which save it from its flawed and choppy screenplay.
½ May 31, 2017
My second favorite Western behind Unforgiven. The biggest strength is an underrated cast and performances which I thought were spot-on. I loved the dialogue and interaction between the characters, both the good guys and bad guys. The drama and tension are drawn up beautifully in a realistic way to the climax, which is actually in the middle of the movie. The technical aspects of the filming were also handled very well. The only reason I did not give it 5 stars is the protracted ending that drags on after such a dramatic climax. This undoubtedly is an attempt to honor epic western film tradition, but I really prefer the deep, realistic feel of the first half of the film. If you like a thrilling drama built up the right way, a good cast performing at their best with excellent dialogue, immersion into a Western period piece, a good mixture of epic feel mixed with a healthy dose of realism, and gun-slinging violence then I highly recommend this movie.
May 31, 2017
One of the best ever. Doc Holliday is played perfectly. The strain was more than he could bear.
March 20, 2017
I love this movie. Me, my friends James, Pat and Sean can recite the entire movie. Kilmer was robbed of a Oscar nom and Russell, Paxton, and Elliot are excellent as the Earp brothers. A perfect movie.
February 26, 2017
the greatest western ever, end of story!
February 21, 2017
One of my two favorite movies ever. There are so many lines to quote you end up lip-synching the whole movie. Val Kilmer was robbed of an Oscar for his part. His role and character, Doc Holiday was one of most original in all of moviedom. He dominates every scene. I think what I like was the portrayal of the West and the characters. You get to like each of the characters, even the bad guys like Johnny Ringo, Curly Bill and especially the loathsome, Ike. The best movies have good guys you like and bad guys that are memorable. I thought the casting and acting was 100% and there are over a dozen characters that play important roles. It is a large cast for a movie. It is an old movie but one of the few I can watch over and over and often find some little nuance I missed before to enjoy.
February 9, 2017
Second to Unforgiven, it is one of my favorite westerns. The only character that I did not like was Bill Paxton. Everybody else fell right into place, Val was on of the best Doc Holiday's that I have seen. I own the DVD
½ February 7, 2017
This film is based on events in Tombstone, Arizona (America), including the Gunfight at the O.K. Corral and the Earp Vendetta Ride, during the 1880s. It depicts a number of western outlaws and lawmen, such as Wyatt Earp, William Brocius, Johnny Ringo, and Doc Holliday. Don't take this one too seriously - it's a western with humour sprinkled in as well as drama and action.
February 4, 2017
My #1 movie of all time.... it know it is a pretty obscure one. "I'm Your huckleberry..."
January 25, 2017
Tombstone is magificent the more I watch it, the better it gets.
½ January 15, 2017
I know alot of people that say this is one of there favorite movies if not there single most favorite movie. I had yet to have seen this movie until the other night, and I now realize why it's important to have other friends that actually understand what great movies are. Sure this is a fun movie, but it really doesn't have a whole lot of substance to it. It was cool to find out that this movie was based on some real people and the characters were pretty cool. It was like a western version of a team up superhero movie. Overall, it was cool but I didn't think it was as good as other people made it out to be.
January 8, 2017
I think I've figured out the formula to making a financially successful western, you must make your characters unique enough to the point that the audience doesn't realize that all Westerns are all essentially the same thing. Tombstone doesn't do that. Everything about this movie just screams, been there done that, and even in a fun way. Maybe this could be used as a case study for future screenwriters to know how to not due a Western.
January 3, 2017
Man, I love this movie, such a great western/adventure. Man oh man the cast! A bit grittier nature would have perfected this, but it's still a great time. If the rumors are true, it'd fascinating to get that "directors" cut...
½ December 20, 2016
A movie that, from start, to finish, captures and embraces you with a classic western story, with the proper doses of action, character development and suspensful moments, all superbly combined with the presence of an amazing cast.
December 6, 2016
Prolly one of the best renditions of the OK Corral.
November 25, 2016
uninspiring first half and ridiculous second half
½ November 8, 2016
This film has some amazing acting and roles, especially Kilmer. Otherwise, it's a trainwreck and I don't understand its fandom...
November 5, 2016
I can't even explain why, but this is my favorite movie of all time. I can watch it over and over.

Some of the best quotes ever.

Doc Holliday: "I'm your huckleberry."

Wyatt Earp: "So run, you cur... RUN! Tell all the other curs the law's comin'!
You tell 'em I'M coming... and hell's coming with me, you hear? Hell's coming with me!"

Billy Clanton: "Why, it's the drunk piano player. You're so drunk, you can't hit nothin'. In fact, you're probably seeing double."
[Billy Clanton draws a knife]
Doc Holliday: [takes out a second gun] "I have two guns, one for each of ya."

Doc: "A man like Ringo has got a great big hole, right in the middle of him. He can never kill enough, or steal enough, or inflict enough pain to ever fill it."

Doc: "Oh. Johnny, I apologize; I forgot you were there. You may go now."

Doc: "Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself."

Val Kilmer is so sexy - all of the actors were perfectly cast. You won't regret watching it! Or re-watching it.