Tombstone - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tombstone Reviews

August 22, 2017
One of the best westerns ever. All-star cast that perfectly painted a masterpiece.
August 20, 2017
Western about a society that is besieged by outlaws and the 4 lawmen who take up arms to protect everyone. Very much a good vs. evil movie set in the 1800's but with Hollywood action and flair. Great quotes. Great acting. Val Kilmer should have won many awards for his portrayal of Doc Holiday.
August 18, 2017
Amazing performance from Val Kilmer in this film
½ August 15, 2017
Wyatt Earp, Doc Holliday and Earp's two brothers try early retirement, but can't seem to escape the notoriety of their gunslinging past. It's a bit on the shallow, simplistic side, but machismo levels are off the charts and the strong personalities are endlessly entertaining, bouncing around and ricocheting off one another like careless lead sprayed on a dusty street. Earp gets the marquee treatment, but there's no masking that Holliday is the story's real star. Played with an overdose of charisma by Val Kilmer, Doc is a vastly intriguing character; damaged both mentally and physically, he spends the entire film in some combination of deep intoxication and sweaty near-death, brought on by the later stages of tuberculosis. Doesn't matter. He still gets the best lines, the most memorable scenes and the densest, most complete individual storyline. A staggering, winking car-wreck of a man who's simply impossible to look away from, I'd throw him up against any of cinema's all-time greats. The surrounding film is secondary. We get a heavy dose of gunfights, shady characters and gentlemen who look cool in an absurd mustache and a duster, par for the course given the era and genre. But Doc, man, Doc elevates this film from a stylish also-ran to an absolute classic.
August 14, 2017
Tombstone is a movie with excellent characters, and great action. It is a bit of a slower movie at times, but it is still good.
August 14, 2017
Exceptional film. Thru tragedy, friendship, and cause -- life and death abounding, good conquers evil and love prevails. All cast excellent. Val Kilmer, a true professional of knowing the human heart . ( 5 STAR )
August 8, 2017
True classic. Doc Holiday alone is worth the watch.
June 23, 2017
Difficulty one of the best movies of both Kurt Russell and Val Kilmer!
June 4, 2017
One of the best Western movies! Love it and will never get tired of watching it.
June 3, 2017
A fun movie with good performances,(Especially from Val Kilmer). However, the performances are the only recovery this movie contains which save it from its flawed and choppy screenplay.
½ May 31, 2017
My second favorite Western behind Unforgiven. The biggest strength is an underrated cast and performances which I thought were spot-on. I loved the dialogue and interaction between the characters, both the good guys and bad guys. The drama and tension are drawn up beautifully in a realistic way to the climax, which is actually in the middle of the movie. The technical aspects of the filming were also handled very well. The only reason I did not give it 5 stars is the protracted ending that drags on after such a dramatic climax. This undoubtedly is an attempt to honor epic western film tradition, but I really prefer the deep, realistic feel of the first half of the film. If you like a thrilling drama built up the right way, a good cast performing at their best with excellent dialogue, immersion into a Western period piece, a good mixture of epic feel mixed with a healthy dose of realism, and gun-slinging violence then I highly recommend this movie.
May 31, 2017
One of the best ever. Doc Holliday is played perfectly. The strain was more than he could bear.
March 20, 2017
I love this movie. Me, my friends James, Pat and Sean can recite the entire movie. Kilmer was robbed of a Oscar nom and Russell, Paxton, and Elliot are excellent as the Earp brothers. A perfect movie.
February 26, 2017
the greatest western ever, end of story!
February 21, 2017
One of my two favorite movies ever. There are so many lines to quote you end up lip-synching the whole movie. Val Kilmer was robbed of an Oscar for his part. His role and character, Doc Holiday was one of most original in all of moviedom. He dominates every scene. I think what I like was the portrayal of the West and the characters. You get to like each of the characters, even the bad guys like Johnny Ringo, Curly Bill and especially the loathsome, Ike. The best movies have good guys you like and bad guys that are memorable. I thought the casting and acting was 100% and there are over a dozen characters that play important roles. It is a large cast for a movie. It is an old movie but one of the few I can watch over and over and often find some little nuance I missed before to enjoy.
February 9, 2017
Second to Unforgiven, it is one of my favorite westerns. The only character that I did not like was Bill Paxton. Everybody else fell right into place, Val was on of the best Doc Holiday's that I have seen. I own the DVD
½ February 7, 2017
This film is based on events in Tombstone, Arizona (America), including the Gunfight at the O.K. Corral and the Earp Vendetta Ride, during the 1880s. It depicts a number of western outlaws and lawmen, such as Wyatt Earp, William Brocius, Johnny Ringo, and Doc Holliday. Don't take this one too seriously - it's a western with humour sprinkled in as well as drama and action.
February 4, 2017
My #1 movie of all time.... it know it is a pretty obscure one. "I'm Your huckleberry..."
January 25, 2017
Tombstone is magificent the more I watch it, the better it gets.
½ January 15, 2017
I know alot of people that say this is one of there favorite movies if not there single most favorite movie. I had yet to have seen this movie until the other night, and I now realize why it's important to have other friends that actually understand what great movies are. Sure this is a fun movie, but it really doesn't have a whole lot of substance to it. It was cool to find out that this movie was based on some real people and the characters were pretty cool. It was like a western version of a team up superhero movie. Overall, it was cool but I didn't think it was as good as other people made it out to be.