Tomorrow - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tomorrow Reviews

½ September 20, 2014
Shot in Mississippi by director Joseph Anthony, Tomorrow didn't have much critique or was seen by many people until nearly ten years after its release. The film winds up being more of an art house film than it lets on if you're aware of the storyline, which is about the caretaker of an old sawmill who decides to shelter a drifting pregnant woman, falling in love with her in the process. The film was also based on a play adapted from a short story by William Faulkner, and it shows in the look of the film. It's pretty sparse as far as production expense, and there's a very minimalist quality to it. For me, I found the characters to be pretty much there, but it felt like I was seeing them through the eyes of a stage director. They never really reach any emotional depths, or any highs, for that matter. That being said, I think Robert Duvall does give a significant performance. The other characters in the film do a good job, but it's Duvall who we're invested in here, and he doesn't let you down. The story is also quite easy to follow, although it does contain some needless bookend material that's feels counterintuitive to the story that's been told in between. Still, there's an interesting story to be found here. I wouldn't call it totally successful as a film, but as a story, it should draw you in well enough if you can pay attention.
½ October 27, 2012
A sad tale told in a realistic way but slow to develop with a conclusion that seemed rushed. Depressing enough to be a tragic episode of Little House on the Prarie.
August 19, 2012
TOMORROW is a very young Robert Duvall at his most powerful; it is Robert Faulkner (story by); it is Ansel Adams (stunning but stark black-and-white cinematography). Though from a Faulkner story, it could as easily have been by Flannery O'Connor or Eudora Welty-- it has some of that raw power and charm. Duvall is on record as saying he considers this one of his finest performances, in this reviewer's judgment even exceeding that in Tender Mercies. This is a great (as in superlative and timeless) movie, building with exquisite slowness, like a Bruckner symphony, to build a meditative cinematic masterpiece. Still mostly undiscovered, it will have a renascence someday. Recommended in the highest terms.
½ January 21, 2012
a good movie, the last narrative was strong. however, very slooooow moving and boring at times. acting and script was very rigid at times, especially the main lady. robert duvall was good.
December 2, 2010
Thursday, December 2, 2010

(1972) Tomorrow
DRAMA

William Faulner story based on a play by Horton Foote about a simpleton, Jackson played by Robert DuVall's first major starring role on a featuture film looking for solitude adapting to a shack amongst the backwoods. While living alone by himself isolated amongst the woods, he comes across an uneducated pregnant woman! From their he builds a rapport and decides to take her under his wing! Great performances was what was needed to pull this off and it delivered! This can also be a reflection about those hard times where uneducated men go searching for work and a identity! Somewhat small budget movie with excellent perfomances!

3 out of 4
January 6, 2010
Robert Duvall as the original Karl Childers...mmm hmmm. Based on a book by William Faulkner and I guess it was also a play. Filmed in grainy black and white this story is about a poor dude willing to give his unequivocal love to a pregnant woman he finds outside his shack. Kept me interested throughout the entire film....the ending is superb!
½ September 10, 2009
Beautiful. You've never seen Robert Duvall this way. The location shooting and acting are superb. A simple story of the simple human kindness and gentleness... Two thumbs way up.
April 21, 2009
A bleak story of love and loss in Faulkner's south, by way of Horton Foote and the great Robert Duvall. In the same year he worked wonders as Tom Hagen for Coppola, Duvall gave this amazing performance that is sure to remind you of Slingblade's Karl Childers. Fentry is a care-taker at a sawmill closed for the winter who takes in a pregnant woman who quickly becomes the love of his life. Understated performances match the austere surroundings and B&W cinematography that reminds you of so much Depression-era photography by Lange or Evans. The only problems this has is the awkward framing device that comes from Faulkner but is never really integrated into the rest of the story, and the frequent feel that the film is too faithful to the play and ignoring the opportunities that film provides.
March 15, 2009
This is a slow developing character study of Jackson Fentry (Robert Duvall) a handyman/farmer and Sarah Eubanks (Olga Bellin) a verbose pregnant lady who's been abandoned by her husband. Duvall does a brilliant job of portraying Fentry and his performance is why I'd recommend this movie. However, the story (based on a Faulkner short story I've never read)is lacking. I wish the story had been told in the present instead of the bulk of the film being a flash back since I kept wondering why this story made him a bad juror. Bellin did a good job too, however I could never figure out why she left her home on foot being very pregnant in the dead of winter. The movie also felt a lot like a play with 95% of the scenes taking place in Fentry's barn/home. As an aside, I love Sling Blade and it seems apparent that Billy Bob Thornton took quite a bit of Karl's character from Duvall's performance.
½ March 11, 2009
A good retelling of Faulkner's story of a lonely watchman at a lumber mill who takes in a pregnent women
February 20, 2009
This Movie always crushes me. Based on a short story by Wm. Faulkner. Robert Duvall is incredible.
½ November 28, 2008
I liked this movie a lot. There is a certain thing Duvall does with his voice (which shows you that Billy Bob Thorton won an oscar because he saw this movie), but I got used to it. The actress who played the pregnant woman I didn't like, but the writing didn't help. The thing that saves this movie is Duvall who is great and the final voice over is really nice.
November 18, 2008
Cried my eyes out. Enough said.
½ July 18, 2008
Only Robert Duvall can combine a perfect gentleman with a hill-billy.
June 27, 2008
Duvall is totally a faulkner character.
½ May 17, 2008
This film adaption of the story Tomorrow and Tomorrow by writer William Faulkner (a favorite of mine) stars Robert Duvall in the lead character of Jackson Fentry, a lonely solitary man in Mississippi working as a caretaker until the day a pregnant woman finds her way to his door and changes his life. A simple yet beautiful story by Faulkner that was done quite well in this low budget film from nearly 40 yrs ago. If a fan of Faulkner's work or of Duvall and interested in his earlier work this odd but enjoyable little film might be for you.
May 5, 2008
My personal favorite Robert Duvall film. Another Horton Foote screenplay from a Faulkner story
April 9, 2008
This wasn't bad but I didn't quite understand the ending.
April 9, 2008
I didn't see this until 36 years after it was first made. The kindness and gentleness of Robert Duvall's character was touching.
April 9, 2008
Stark black and white cinematography gives this film a timeless feeling... Beautiful acting by Duvall.