Topsy-Turvy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Topsy-Turvy Reviews

May 18, 2018
I am a little surprised at some of the negative reviews as this is a delight from beginning to end. As some have noted it is long but worth the duration. Big pluses are the central performances, notably Jim Broadbent and the fabulous sets. Just for fun see if you can work out which part is played by Andy Serkis without looking it up. The man is a chameleon.
August 26, 2017
It's certainly a bizarre spectacle that's feuded by the realist direction of Mike Leigh and exercises an overblown Britishness which takes over the whole film. Granted, this is a British film about Victorian Britain but the stylistic direction Leigh takes may alienate viewers as it aims for a niche audience who probably already have some previous knowledge of 'The Mikado' and Gilbert and Sullivan productions. Nevertheless, Topsy-Turvy doesn't fail in its ambitions and carries through its 2 1/2 hour run time with good humour and glorious music. It's certainly not for everyone but for those who want something a bit more "high brow", this is rather scrumptious!

7.5/10
November 13, 2016
Full of life and humor, "Topsy-Turvy" is a bouncy backstage look at the creation of a legendary 19th century operetta.
November 5, 2016
The story of Gilbert & Sullivan and the inspiration behind The Mikado!!
½ March 7, 2016
The narrow focus is quite effective as looking at the creation of "The Mikado" gives a lot of insight into not just Gilbert and Sullivan's creative process but how theatre as a whole functioned in the late 19th century. I really wish Leigh would make more bio-pics/period pieces, between this and "Mr. Turner" he's proven himself to be infinitely more adept at the formula than a lot of other filmmakers.
July 4, 2015
Incredibly boring.

Set in the 1880s, the story of how, during a creative dry spell, the partnership of the legendary musical/theatrical writers Gilbert and Sullivan almost dissolves, before they turn it all around and write the Mikado.

Maybe you have to be into theatre, and musicals in particular, and/or enjoy a history piece on Gilbert and Sullivan, but the movie is very uninteresting. Moves at a snail's pace, goes for 2 1/2 hours, and nothing really happens. What does happen, you know already, from the provided synopsis.

Director Mike Leigh could at least have made it shorter, rather than an endurance test.
½ May 5, 2015
It looks gorgeous, sounds adequate, brushes over the historical details lightly, and gives nothing back at the end of two-and-a-half hours. If you are a Gilbert and Sullivan fan, this will shed no new light on their lives or The Mikado.
½ November 16, 2014
Great music. A little overlong
May 11, 2014
I'm surprised it took me so long to review this, as I am a lifelong G&S fan who discovered them and their fairy tale operas when I was just 13. This movie was like a dream come true for me as I felt like I'd known all the characters for many years, and I was watching old friends. The storytelling was astonishingly accurate for Hollywood; factual and enormously entertaining. Mike Leigh managed to capture the magic of Gilbert & Sullivan's work and the spell of enchantment it held over even the people who performed it. And yet, as the title suggests, nothing is quite what it seems to be. The genial Sullivan is a gambling, womanizing prima donna, unhappy with the very music he's gotten rich from.. The brilliant Gilbert is plagued by a fear of not pleasing anyone. The star of their company uses drugs, the leading lady has a drinking problem, and others have their own insecurities--and yet in spite of it all, they created a world of sheer magic. It is one of those films I can watch over and over and never get tired of.
½ September 10, 2013
Not everyone's cup of tea.
July 11, 2013
A tribute to anyone who ever picked up a score, a pen, a paintbrush or a grease pencil - or a movie camera.
½ May 19, 2013
Upon watching one of Leigh's films for the first time, one can hear the unspoken ideas pronounced perfectly loud and eloquently, through the veins beneath the surface of the skin - in every performance, in every moment, in every cut. We are seduced by it all, but first and foremost, by the vision of the master, unforced and still untamed.
April 5, 2013
" . . .Three little MAIDS . . . from school." Too long for a single night's viewing but highly entertaining if you love watching best scenes from The Mikado in the glory of their original staging. Watch it for no other reason than the costumes, wallpaper, and lush Victorian furnishings. It may disappoint some viewers that the film glosses over Arthur Sullivan's homosexuality.
February 21, 2013
just some great acting but very long
February 8, 2013
«Three little maids from school are we!» A delightful look at one of the most famous stage world's team: Gilbert & Sullivan.
February 6, 2013
This film is a light-hearted, delightful and rather charming comedy biopic of a small part of the lives and careers of the famous duo, W. S. Gilbert and Arthur Sullivan. It tells of their fall after their opera 'Princess Ida' and their eventual rise to fame again with their next project 'The Mikado', a tale set in Japan with a British libretto. This Academy-Award winning film, which won for Best Makeup and Best Costume Design, is well-acted and seemingly lavish and colourful. The pace was a tad bit slow but the British humour present are enough to amuse and keep me engaged. The parts which catch my attention the most are the scenes from the duo's operas, which were so masterfully staged and well-choreographed. The highlights for me are 'Three Little Maids from School' and the grande finale of the comic opera, as well as 'The Moon and I'. Overall, a splendid little amusing piece of entertainment.
Critique Threatt
½ January 3, 2013
This is a great film. Mike Leigh ranks among the best of great filmmakers. Topsy-Turvy is easily one of his best most cherished pictures. It's a theater picture but it's more then a theater picture. Leigh puts all his passions into this since he too was a theater director. I really got to see an inside glimpse of the hardwork and dedication the men and women endure in order to conquer a great night. The sets and colors, makeup, and cinematography is a sight too seem some may find this a little bit too long due to the length but I couldn't help but be enjoyed by one of the finest masters at work.
½ November 15, 2012
Mike Leigh's most lavish production, as well as his most entertaining. Great movie.
½ July 18, 2012
Only Mike Leigh could make this film.