Toys Reviews

• Oct 07, 2019

I still remember seeing Toys decades ago, because at the time Robin Williams could do no wrong in my eyes, and I was anxiously seeking out every one of his movies that I could find. I also remember not being a fan of Toys at all, and this being on the list of movies (along with things like Hook, Jack, and Patch Adams) that convinced me he wasn’t bulletproof. Watching it again now, I am left utterly baffled at what Barry Levinson and Valerie Curtin were thinking. This film is beyond nonsense, and clearly that’s intentional, but the problem is that it’s not funny nonsense. The movie is going big and broad to try and build a ridiculous world that contains only a small semblance of logic, but they take it too far in every single way. Even when they allow Robin Williams to riff and improvise some comedy, it is almost 100% disastrous. Perhaps the most blatantly unfunny aspect is Joan Cusack who simply says insane things for no particular reason, and I think we’re supposed to be laughing, but there’s never a punchline or even a comedic delivery. Toys is so scatterbrained that it feels like someone threw a bunch of ideas into a woodchipper and then pasted them together randomly to create a script. There are several times a scene will just start for no particular reason, and end with no connection to what happens next. There is the hint of plot hiding among all the insanity, but even that doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. I’d say that it feels like the movie was made by watching a group of small children playing with their toys and simulating the nonsense those kids came up with, but that doesn’t explain the sex scene and some of the crazy violence. I will say that there are moments in this movie that I laughed despite myself. It’s not that the comedy was effective, in fact it’s the opposite, the attempt at comedy was so bad that I laughed at the incompetence. It’s like watching someone totally bomb on an open mic night at the comedy club and yet they don’t realize they stink. They might not be delivering quality jokes, but at some point, you just have to laugh because they keep trying.

• Jul 21, 2019

Great film. Very unique. Its a shame most people dont seem to get it. Definitely deserves more love and less hate. Im honestly surprised it hasn't become a cult classic and has instead become popular to hate on.

• Jun 20, 2019

Toys is a strange little movie. And that's why I enjoyed it.

Toys is a strange little movie. And that's why I enjoyed it.

• Nov 10, 2018

quirky, whimsical, beautiful sets

quirky, whimsical, beautiful sets

• Sep 24, 2018

In my opinion, this film is massively underrated, maybe simply because my taste is different than most other people's. First of all, it's meant to be absurd and I can surely say that not everyone enjoys surreal, weird stuff. The beauty of this film is its aesthetics, there's creepy toys, there's crazy interiors and hauntingly empty landscapes that look like surrealist paintings, all filled with bizarre childlike characters. When you add music by Hans Zimmer and Trevor Horn on top (for those who like 80's sound), and you have a pleasure for the eyes.

• Sep 02, 2018

Barry Levinson's labour of love about the battle royal of a war toy-making militarist and his peaceable toy designer nephew is a vividly variegated muddle aspiring to be a fun riot.

• Aug 31, 2018

One of worst movies ever seen.. story didnt work,

One of worst movies ever seen.. story didnt work,

• May 26, 2018

Not that good and the ratings should be rated R l A lot of unseen good stuff for kids

• Mar 22, 2018

one of the worst movies i have ever seen. not funny at all. dont waste the time. .

• Dec 17, 2017

I don't understand the hate. A surrealistic dream poem that is so pertinent in our currently militarized over masculinized society.