Transcendence - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Transcendence Reviews

July 23, 2016
With his directorial debut, Oscar-winning cinematographer Wally Pfister doesn't instill enough life into his storytelling to support the challenging ideas of his material.
July 15, 2016
it could have been SO MUCH better. one way it could have been better was not have johnny depp as the main actor. another way is have Christopher Nolan actually direct this movie. this movie had so much potential and wasted it all on cinematography and not on acting, story, or action
July 5, 2016
This movie has captured in a simple way one of the great questions of our time: "what is the end point of a supreme intelligence, and how would people respond emotionally to a being that is cognitively superior"? I don't understand the low overall tomato score... This was one of the most thought provoking movies I've seen, and Johnny Depp and Rebecca Hall's performances were fantastic.
½ June 22, 2016
This actually was better than I thought it was going to be. Pretty interesting storyline as I can potentially see this happening in the next 20 years or so (which is a scary thought). Rebecca Hall is great in this one. Script is very well thought out and written. This is probably how the future in the Terminator franchise will actually start.
½ June 16, 2016
The ending was a little corny but overall a good tech sci-fi flick with interesting future concepts
May 28, 2016
I liked it mostly for Johnny Depp's performance. He played his role well and I enjoyed watching him play it.
May 10, 2016
Like Tron without the races! lol. The story seemed familiar (even though I cannot identify where)... Doctor loads consciousness into computer and feels the power to consolidate bundles of data and affect the physical world thru technological developments. The movie strives to ask heavy ethical questions and feels very self-important, but it largely fails and without this weight, the film seems slow and boring.
½ May 8, 2016
Thought provoking and entertaining.
May 4, 2016
was better than Lucy
April 21, 2016
What a g.d. disaster, bad casting, bad script. The director did a good job, but if he had really done his job, he wouldn't be directing this load of shite.
April 11, 2016
Transcendence is a disappointing film. It is about a scientist's drive for artificial intelligence that takes on dangerous implications when his consciousness is uploaded into one such program. Johnny Depp and Rebecca Hall give horrible performances. The script is badly written. Wally Pfister did a terrible directing this movie. I was not impressed with this motion picture.
April 9, 2016
Reminds me of Ex machina because of its slower pace. Not sure why everyone jumped on the hate bandwagon here, but I thought the movie was terrific. Maybay it will be like Bladerunner that received initially very negative reviews and then for whatever reason the public changed it's mind.
½ March 28, 2016
A Movie dealing largely with events that showcase the future problems that this world may face. Though not a particularly exciting plot, Transcendence brings up questions about how the future may look and the dangers of where the world is headed
½ March 27, 2016
The idea is somewhat interesting, but the movie is disappointing, not even the performances of Johnny Depp, Morgan Freeman and Paul Bettany can help this movie, from not being boring.
March 25, 2016
one best movie i've seen in the last 5 years!!! Amazing plot and everything makes sense, no bullshit like most movies now a days.

people who dislike are shallow people who buy into the crappy Hollywood cliche and can't accept anything new or better.

seriously , people who rated this movie down NEVER FINISHED THE MOVIE! reading their comments they asserted this movie is about "terrorists" or "computer destroying world" ... big hint they HAVE nO idea what the movie is about..... fits the theme of the movie perfectly though; " people are afraid of what they do not understand" those stupid idiotic audiences never understood what the movie is about because they either didn't finish, or didn't pay attention and didn't get the movie at all.
March 21, 2016
It could have been a great story but it failed dramatically.
½ March 16, 2016
so bad that the script must have been written via AI
March 12, 2016
Kind of a weird movie and the acting is bland.
March 10, 2016
Not great, but not awful.
March 1, 2016
Neat concept but the movie was just meh. 3 stars for Depp and Freeman.