Treasure Planet - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Treasure Planet Reviews

½ February 10, 2018
A high action packed film with creative animation and interesting characters.
January 31, 2018
Most underrated Disney movie of all time! SUCH a phenomenal movie!
½ January 29, 2018
Don't remember much about it since I first saw it, except solar sails. Which sounds ridiculous dubbed to Czech. But I watched a video praising it, so I'll trust that.
January 13, 2018
Revolutionary animation, clever updates to a classic pirate story, great voice acting and amazing emotional bonds between central characters. B.E.N.'s hyperactive behaviour is annoying and the weakest aspect of the movie, but is justifiable.
January 11, 2018
This is an incredibly underrated film and it saddens me to see how awfully Disney treated the film when it had far more potential. In my opinion it's better then nearly, if not, everything Disney has come out with since.
January 7, 2018
Perhaps the most underrated and best among the lesser known Disney films. Outstanding, with a great tie in song provided by the Goo Goo Dolls.

Jim Hawkins as a character shines bright, and so does his voice acting. A truly original film, as far as one can do so for a 'Treasure Island' story.

See this film!
January 6, 2018
Breathtaking adventure for all ages.
½ December 20, 2017
This movie is a children adaptation of the book Treasure Island, which speaks of a treasure and the adventure of our protagonist. The story starts with the legend, of a galaxy renowned by his name, Captain Nathaniel Flint. He, appeared out of nowhere, assaulting ships, and disappeared without a trace. Hiding, in the depths of the universe lies Captain Flintīs Treasure, The Loot of a Thousand Worlds; Treasure Planet. Of Course, this is a legend in an old children storybook our little Jim Hawkins used to read as a kid.

12 years later, Jim rides a solar board in private grounds until stopped by the authorities, which show him as a worthless piece of trash. While on the Old Bembowīs roof, Jim meets and old salamander who crashes in front of him, Billy Bones. Before dying in Jimīs hands, Bones hand him a ball wrapped in cloths and a message: ĻBeware, the CyborgĻ right after saying these words, old Billy bones passes away leaving Jim and his mother, along with a family friend who happened to be there during the event, Dr. Doppler. After escaping the grasp of what appear to be a pirate raid, Jim unveils the ball entrusted to him and finds out itīs actually a metallic ball with strange carvings. While Doppler examines the sphere, he was impressed by its complexity and by how a bunch of morons are after it, given the fact that itīll take a lot of work to... but just as he was finishing his sentence, Jim was doodling with it and Ļopened it.Ļ They couldnīt believe their eyes, it was a map of the galaxy. Once you chose the departure point, it will lead you to a hidden place in the galaxy known as Treasure Planet... Guess it wasnīt just a legend after all.

After discovering this, Jim sees this as an opportunity to make amends of all his misdeeds, although, reluctant to the idea, Doppler convinces Jimīs mother to let him go, with him as his guidance. Once at the port they started looking for their boat. Dr. Doppler financed the expedition and hired some crew and a captain. After a while they found the SS Legacy, their boat. They met the captain, Amelia and her first officer, Mr. Arrow. After greeting Dr. Doppler was going to present Jim as the finder of the map, but Amelia stop him on his tracks and take them to a private room. There she explains they shouldn't be talking about a treasure in front of this ball of goons, making clear she doesn't trust the crew Dr. Doppler recruited. After putting the map in a safe in the captain chambers, Captain Amelia sends them to meet the cook, who is going to be in charge of Jim for the rest of the trip.

To their surprise, the cook was a cyborg named John Silver, and remembering Bonesī last words, Jim put his guard up. After being left alone by Mr. Arrow and Doppler, Jim notices some purps from his home planet and asks the cyborg if he ever went to Montresor; Jimīs home planet. Denying it, the cyborg claims that there are many cyborgs on that port. The launch was about to take place, so Silver dispatched Jim so he could see the launch. After the launch, Silver comes out of the kitchen and sees the captain and starts flattering her, like trying to win her trust for some reason. Captain Amelia addresses him and ask him if Jim isn't supposed to be working under his guidance, he then proceeds to assign a task to Jim, clean the decks. While doing this, he is confronted by other members of the crew and started a fight with a spider like dude called Mr. Scroop. Silver interferes and then Arrow arrives to put order and remember everyone that a fight will be punishable by confinement in a dungeon for the rest of the trip.

After the little transgression, Silver asks Jim if his father didn't show him how to pick his fights, to which he responds that he never had a father to show him. Then Silver proposes that heīll teach him everything he needs to know to be a grown man; a charade to keep him busy and mind his own business, but ends up making Silver to have a soft spot for him. The theme song of the movie ĻIīm still hereĻ By John Resznick plays while showcasing moments of Silver and Jimīs moments together. After the song, their bond is noticeable, more so in a black hole incident, where Silver almost falls form the ship and Jim holds his lifeline. Arrow is sent to the blackhole by Mr. Scroop. Due to this bond, many of Silver's crew are staggering regarding his leadership, to which he simply says that everything is a charade to keep the boy busy. Jim hears everything and starts running to tell the captain, but he finds himself with Silver blocking his path by chance. They have a skirmish which leads to them abandoning the ship, them being Captain Amelia, Dr. Doppler, and Jim. Just before leaving, Jim and Silver have another skirmish in which they battle for a friend in common, Morph, which had the map to the treasure. Morph is Silverīs little pet, he befriends Jim due to the bonding they were doing during their trip. Jim takes the map and leaves John in the ship with his thugs; they arrived at Treasure Planet. There, before landing, they are shot and crash more or less. Captain Amelia commands Jim to look for a hideout, this is where he meets B.E.N.

B.E.N. stands for Bio Electro Navigator. He appears as a needy robot who was abandoned, but he is in fact the missing piece to solve the puzzle of the treasureīs whereabouts. While trying to hide, they go to B.E.N.īs house which provide cover from the other pirates, although B.E.N. in his innocence, saw other fellows and thought of them as friends, giving away their position. Cornered they have no option but to engage in a truce, John tries to convince Jim about his true feelings for him, but Jim doesn't believe him. Also, Jim has nothing to offer, since the map he has, is in fact Morph, who transformed as the map, and hid the real one on the mother ship. Jim went to the mothership to look for the treasure map, along with B.E-N- and Morph.

What would happen next is what I would call the climax and the more interesting part of all the movie. Did they found the treasure? Or Did the pirates found it first? is there any battle? Well, all those questions keep coming to our mind while we watch the movie. The movie keep the spectator on suspense all the movie long so you wonīt get bored at any point. Its keep an interest on every single part. That's why I liked so much this movie. It also has a lot of special effects and creativity about how could look like our future, what is shows all the importance the producers gave to the movie to look the most futurist possible. The sounds and visuals makes you feel like you are actually in that future world, where we will live on another planet or in an out of space place. Even though is a fantasy story created for children, it also involves topics that easier to understand by an adult, such as family problems, dreams unaccomplished, trust and daily life problems, that's why I consider is the most wonderful movie for children and adults. Anyone with an open mind to new things it would like to see this movie created in the 2000īs with illusions of what our future could look like.
½ October 9, 2017
The problems I have with this film is that there might be a song or two that feels a tad out of place and the whole thing about it being set in the future and yet still having old fashioned clothing creates something very unfitting for whats trying to be a different take on the classic Treasure Island story. Also, some of the CGI can feel quite out of place at times. Most visuals are usually very nice to look at and the animation is great but theres a good amount of CG and again, it just feels unfitting and not well rendered.
What I think is good in this movie though, aside from the animation and still some nice visuals, is the characters and their relationships. Its an overall enjoyable film with maybe a mix bag in quality.
September 13, 2017
It's got cool spaceships, spacewhales, giant mushrooms on secret planets - this is a movie designed for me as a kid, and apparently me as an adult as well. Loved it. It also has a cool little father/son plot, which I enjoyed. Getting soft in my old age.
½ September 1, 2017
Fantastic movie. Absolutely holds up and the graphics actually shocked me with how good they were for the time. I'm sure I'm echoing what a lot of people have said, but I only write this to add to that point. Give it another watch for a nice nostalgic night.
August 1, 2017
I think this film is very underrated as it is very entertaining and enjoyable! A must see for Disney fans who are interested in something other than princesses!
July 5, 2017
So underrated! Granted, the idea of taking the story of Treasure Island, and dragging it into a futuristic setting is a rather weird one, but they manage to take this odd sounding concept and do something inventive with it.
½ June 27, 2017
Doesn't have the tightest story or the best characters but was a fun enough time to be watchable.
½ June 1, 2017
Boundlessly fun and suitably exploratory, Treasure Planet may not have much depth, but it is greatly entertaining none-the-less.
June 1, 2017
Fantastic story that most people can very much relate to including myself.
I watched this as a child and still now as I'm older than ever I still can't help but to watch this amazing animation.
½ May 16, 2017
The bromance between Jim Hawkins and John Silver is interesting and charming, the visuals are frequently mesmerizing and the film features a fine mix of new and old ideas. But it has too much action, it is badly paced and the supporting characters are not as memorable. It was also influenced by Star Wars a bit too much. So Treasure Planet is in the end a solid and admirable sci-fi effort, but a very flawed one indeed.
½ May 12, 2017
Outstanding visuals, and engaging story

Disney should seriously look back at this amazing movie.
April 18, 2017
i loved it. The universe is amazing, it's creative and to top it all of, nostalgia.