Troy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Troy Reviews

November 11, 2017
I'm giving this a review now after so long because I've recently re-read the Illiad. This isn't entirely accurate to the source material, but does a good job of characterizing Achilles and his rival Hector along with the family members closest to them. One drawback is that it's not as passionately Greek as the Homer epic (and not in verse).

The sweeping action is as good as the individual battles, and single combat is exciting with every thrust and parry. Plus, we get to see examples of spear fighting, which is rare in the cinematic [ancient world / medieval] universe.

Now that it's been over 12 years, I think we're ready for the Odyssey. Just ask Penelope.
½ October 31, 2017
One of the greatest war stories ever told with Brad Pitt portraying Achilles. Excellent casting of the rest of the characters. The story telling of the movie I think could have been a little better, but the action and soundtrack make up for it.
October 27, 2017
Brad Pitt and Eric Bana are incredible in this film. It's a real sword and Sandals modern epic which would have looked good in any era. It may or may not reflect what really happened but it's still a great film.
October 21, 2017
There are no historically verifiable accounts of the Trojoan wars, hence any critique of accuracy is silly. This film has some phenomenal acting in places, stunningly beautiful fight choreography and dialogue in places, and amazing sets. The critical panning of it is hard to understand let alone defend. I'd say it's a must see for anyone that has the patience for epic stories, and I recommend the director's cut.
August 21, 2017
2017-08-21 watched for second time
August 19, 2017
A great movie, great setting, great actors, great plot in more grounded tone, many critics didn't love the movie but for me, it is really good film. Don't love it but I really like it a lot. For me, the only weak spot is Orlando Bloom's performance but it is still serviceable. Totally recommend this
July 22, 2017
Brad Pitt...is NOT Greek.
½ July 2, 2017
Familiar and predictable, but it does provide a very human look at the war that lasted ten years, breathing life into the glorious battles and the warriors who fought them.
½ June 26, 2017
A fun epic movie with some awesome battle sequences, but it lacks heart, character and emotion.
June 25, 2017
Shit was dope to me ????
June 16, 2017
I was surprised this movie didn't get higher ratings. It has everything you could ask for in a dramatic film. It has an amazing cast starring Brad Pitt and Eric Bana who did an absolutely great job with their roles. The action scenes are phenomenal and make you think you are in the moment of ancient Greece with breathtaking CGI. Along with romantic and tragic stories on both ends, I like how they protray these stories so you really feel the emotions for the good (Troy) and the bad (Greece). Now there are holes in the picture when you compare it to The Illiad, but what great historic motion picture doesn't have them!!
June 10, 2017
Whether it's true to the source material or not doesn't matter to me here. One of the worst theater-going experiences I've ever had. Poor acting and nearly three hours that did nothing but drag.
June 6, 2017
Marvelous and ahead of it's time.
June 1, 2017
A grand film that brings to life the epic of Troy through the lenses of the tale's larger-than-life heroes.
½ May 30, 2017
Complex and near epic depiction of the Trojan War. I can take or leave Brad Pitt in much of his work however in this film he excels. The supporting cast was incredible. Definitely recommend.
May 3, 2017
"Achilles! Achilles! Achilles!"
April 19, 2017
Rousing and spectacular epic fun!
½ March 31, 2017
This movie is very good at making you connect to the characters and the awesome action giving for an overall compelling experience.
½ March 27, 2017
Troy is a good show of special effects, battle scenes and an epic atmosphere that makes it an enjoyable experience.
However, it fails to want to "adapt" the story of the Iliad in addition to presenting some flat characters that come and go without pain or glory in the film.
½ March 26, 2017
Hard to follow. All characters look the same.