Trumbo Reviews

• May 08, 2019

Very well-constructed story with clever use of authentic & re-created footage; the acting is solid & engaging - it didn’t take long for me to forget I was watching Bryan Cranston & believe I was watching Dalton Trumbo himself.

• Mar 29, 2019

Mesmerizing. One man holding so true to his belief that he subtracted himself from the equation so completely that the universe brought him back to his own name full circle. A masterpiece.

• Mar 09, 2019

The real Trumbo was a hard-core communist film-writer who defended genocides in Ukraine, China, and Cambodia and supported a violent overthrow of the US government. He was (rightfully) fired from the film-making industry. Yet this film portrays Trumbo as a noble victim, standing up for his belief in "equality". Whose life story will the director whitewash next? Kim Jung Il? Pol Pot?

• Feb 02, 2019

Bryan almost disappears in this role. Louis C.K.'s performance is even likable. This could be re-watchable. I mean, Diane Lane and John Goodman.

• Nov 03, 2018

One of the best biographies I've seen yet. It's a very interesting and entertaining film about devotion and doing what you think is right, and a well made and well shot story of one of the most infamous personalities in Hollywood. The old looking setups are also cool, but what basically makes this movie is the charismatic lead performance by Bryan Cranston, it's great, no wonder he was nominated for an Oscar. Overall, I really enjoyed this film, it's to bad that it was a box office failure, because it's excellent. Recommended!!

• Oct 18, 2018

Trumbo is an excellent film. It is about Dalton Trumbo who was Hollywood's top screenwriter in 1947 until he was jailed and blacklisted for his beliefs. Bryan Cranston and Diane Lane give amazing performances. The screenplay is well written. Jay Roach did a great job directing. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama. Trumbo is a must see.

• Oct 16, 2018

drunk in its sober and dry mannerism.. Trumbo Roach's biographical drama is drunk in its sober and dry mannerism that never appreciates its own mythology. The set of characters that the plot and concept fiddles with, is immensely electrifying especially in its latter stages but Roach seems distracted in here and his eye is on a blurred out vision of accuracy. And this is what's disappointing since the accuracy isn't cinematic or glorifying enough to chisel out the final anticipated product. The narration is undoubtedly gripping and adaptive but it isn't as layered as they might think. But all these issues are piled upon the sensational performance that Cranston oozes in each frame. His raging, complex and logical expressive nature might be subtle on Layman's terms but is actually a melody to encounter it. The major issue holding it back, would be the continuity. Each event or episode may or may not attain its closure in its allotted span, but it surely changes up the tone that makes it shatter into bits and pieces where the responsible person is the director in charge who fails to blend the entire tale into one big act. The supporting characters are well crafted in here i.e. from Lane to Fanning or Louis C.K. to Mirren, each of them gets their stand alone moments with three dimensional perspective and aptly cooked vision for them. The dialogues are layered and the conversations are pragmatic that can stay with you for a longer time and with a delivery like Cranston's it definitely elevates the momentum. And it's every man for himself at the end, that drags this somewhat sloppy script to as his character does to the script, "make it better". Trumbo is a triumph on terms of performance but Cranston was not the only one that was on the stand, the rest of the work might be contempt for being guilty.

• Aug 01, 2018

Bryan Cranston is terrific in his role as the blacklisted screenwriter.

Bryan Cranston is terrific in his role as the blacklisted screenwriter.

• Jun 19, 2018

Knowing that my birth was not even a decade removed from the end of such an idiotic time in our political history makes watching a movie like "Trumbo" somewhat difficult. Not only am I aghast at how people could have treated other people in the manner the movie represents, but I also cannot believe that investigations continued 3 years into my own life. These kind of activities now would be halted very quickly. That being said, while at times a bit slow, the story is captivating and the performances riveting. It was interesting to see Jay Roach do something so serious, even in its comedic moments. Louis CK continues to show his range in the most dramatic role in which I've seen him. Helen Mirren, whom I love, had me legitimately hating her. Michael Stuhlbarg as Edward G Robinson is phenomenal, as is Dean O'Gorman as Kirk Douglas. However, the most amazing performance is from Bryan Cranston himself, who continues to prove what an incredible actor he is. It's almost shameful that he has to compete with the like of Matt Damon, who does absolutely nothing special in "The Martian," yet is up for the same award. While many have Leo pegged to win for "The Revenant," Bryan has to be a close second.

• Apr 13, 2018

Really good movie with lots of stars in it!!! Cranston was great!!!

Really good movie with lots of stars in it!!! Cranston was great!!!