The Twilight Samurai (Tasogare Seibei) Reviews

• Feb 11, 2021

Japanese period film directed by a Japanese cinema veteran that enthralls with it's premise and evolving plot but lacks a truly satisfying conclusion.

• Apr 04, 2020

it follows the life of one humble low income samurai. it has good pacing and i love how the narration was done. one such as myself can empathize with the protagonist and his family as i have been there (still in there) trying to make ends meet as the sole provider of his family. although it is a samurai movie, this is not one of bloodshed and violence, it is a drama. if you have a hard working father who loves you and provides for your family, i would recommend watching this so you'd have some idea what daily living means for us fathers. it shows what hardships fathers have and what joys we feel.

• Aug 14, 2019

one of the best samurai movies ever

one of the best samurai movies ever

• May 05, 2019

One of my all time favorite samurai films. This has it all. great characters, heart rending story of poverty, love, historical transition, as well as two of the best realistic sword fights on screen. An instant classic.

• Feb 04, 2019

We're used to samurai being portrayed as superhuman warriors, but here's a very different take, and a very different kind of hero, who couldn't be more reluctant to unsheathe his sword. Hiroyuki Sanada's performance in the title role is mesmerising - he's so ridiculously likeable that I found myself hoping NOT to see full-throttle sword fighting because I didn't want him to get hurt. I wouldn't recommend the film to those watch samurai films for the fighting as there's hardly any of that kind of action - instead there's a very real, interesting character, who happens to be a samurai, and whose fate is far more interesting than any number of beautifully choreographed battles.

• Jan 15, 2019

No chop-socky nonsense, no flying fighters, just an excellent film.

No chop-socky nonsense, no flying fighters, just an excellent film.

• Dec 02, 2017

Touching and powerful yet humble. A story about a samurai who knows who he is and what he values. His unique perspective allows him to find happiness in the wake of personal tragedy and within the confines of feudalistic Japanese hierarchy. I can't articulate just how heroic this character is. The swordwork really serves the story well and is as always, a treat to watch from Sanada Sensei.

• Jul 28, 2017

Not an epic, but a simple story of love, suffering, family, death full of humanism. You will be pleasantly surprised. "A serious fight, the killing of a man, requires animal ferocity and calm disregard for one's own life. I have neither of those within me now."

• May 06, 2016

This film along with The Hidden Blade (same director) are two of the best samurai movies out there. When I say samurai movie, I mean one that is not only historically accurate, but the story is deep and moving. If you rather watch action rubbish, then go google some ninja vs samurai crap.

• Mar 22, 2016

There's nothing more heartbreaking than to see a samurai at the end of his rope. Though the concept of the Bamboo Sword is similar to the film 'Harakiri'.