Tyrannosaur - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tyrannosaur Reviews

April 23, 2016
One of the most emotionally brutal films that I've ever seen- 'Tyrannosaur' flourishes thanks to a trio of great performances by Colman, Mullan, & Marsan.

It's Lars Von Trier-level miserable here- completely unrelenting and deeply upsetting at times. It would be easy to resent the film for this and dismiss it but the cast give such compelling and rich performances that you allow yourself to become invested and you, basically, let the film make you feel like crap.

Set in bleak suburban England, literally everything about this picture is bleak and unpleasant. Enough of this is justified, however, through the movie's focus on emotional abuse, as much as physical abuse. The film's look at masculine aggression in particular is extremely impactful and completely justifies sitting through it.

It's a side point but, I must say that I really liked how the title of the film came up in the story- I was hoping that it would and it's brief mention actually resonated with me a lot so, bravo,

Anyway- not for the faint hearted- 'Tyrannosaur' will leave you feeling sick but not every film is sunshine and rainbows, nor is every life, unfortunately, as is shown here.
½ November 16, 2015
This British film so strangely named as the terrible dinosaur, gave me a rough, hard view about loneliness, hollow relationships and another issues about human relations. Joseph's character perfectly performed by Peter Mullan
½ September 5, 2015
POWERFUL | RIVETING | UNREAL (97-out-of-100)
August 30, 2015
Most heart wrenching emotionally draining yet glued to screen movie I've watched in the recent past. Moving play write and performance with a fiery ending. R rating is probably too easy on this, unless it stands for Raw.
½ June 3, 2015
Bleak but ultimately uplifting - the 2 leads admirable do the whole range of emotions.
½ May 10, 2015
TYRANNOSAUR is no easy film to take in. It is a window into a very harsh, unforgiving environment populated with with people that have a lot of personal pain. It is also brutally honest in its assessment of the world as a violent place that pushes us to our limits. Still, it isn't all depressing because of chance encounters in which we meet people who seem to be very different from us on the surface, masking pain that is very similar to our own. This is the type of story that TYRANNOSAUR tells, and all from first-time feature director Paddy Considine. He gets strikingly real performances out of his actors and shows a firm directorial hand. There is hardly anything to gripe about here, save a couple of moments of animal cruelty which could turn off a lot of people. I must admit that I was somewhat revolted in those scenes, but they still felt organic to the story. One major theme explored is what people do when pushed to their limits, and there are many instances throughout the film in which this is shown. I don't really want to spoil anything specific, so if a dark psychological drama is something you're into then this will probably be one of the best you'll see.
½ May 7, 2015
One of the best hidden gems I have ever found.
½ April 19, 2015
Ultra realistic, dark, gritty British drama.
½ April 2, 2015
Two dog deaths, and a rape, no thanks.
April 1, 2015
Not endorsed by Visit Yorkshire. Brutal, real, utterly believable and absolutely horrific. On a par with The Road, but with a better ending.
½ February 12, 2015
This film is both brutal and tender at times. It explores the idea that two people from seemingly different worlds can both be experiencing a painful reality underneath the facade and can form a bond,based on their shared heartache. The leads both bring full game to the parts, as both characters fall apart at the seams. The piece is well-written, in that it leaves room for the viewer to form their own opinions and has space for interpretation. It also explores the age old question of what drives people to commit violent acts. A thought-provoking and moving feature.
½ January 7, 2015
A nice reminder people are people underneath the shitbagginess.
December 24, 2014
With its fine performances, taut pacing and heart-wrenching storytelling, Tyrannosaur is brutal, yet ultimately hopeful and emotional drama about one man's quest for redemption.
November 29, 2014
Jeez, that was bleak.
½ November 7, 2014
Another good British film
November 2, 2014
Another proper British grim tale. I am not complaining here, I like them.
September 29, 2014
Great film but dont think Disney will doing a remake tho.
September 22, 2014
Bleak, brutal and brilliant. Superb performances all round.
September 18, 2014
"Tyrannosaur" is a dark, brutal, yet powerful film about a bad man seeking redemption. This is a film I have wanted to see for some time. It really showcases the talent of British filmmaking. It is directed brilliantly by Paddy Considine, and stunningly acted by Peter Mullan. Mullan's scenes are immensely powerful. There isn't much to say about the film. In short, its a very powerful story. You are drawn in by the performances and feel really for the characters.
Dark, story and character driven, "Tyrannosaur" is a tyrific film.
September 16, 2014
An emotional, dark, gritty movie, superbly written, directed and acted.
Underneath the violence, abuse and suffering is a wonderful love story between two lonely, imprisoned people.