The Ugly Truth - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Ugly Truth Reviews

September 14, 2016
This movie IS a romantic comedy. So of course it "relies on romantic comedy formula." As far as romcom's go, this is a really good one. It's funny, cute and heart warming, just as we expect romcom's to be. Gerard Butler is irresistibland Katherine Heigl is as cute as ever. I am not always in the mood for this genre but when I am, this is exactly the kind of movie I'm looking for.
½ August 23, 2016
The ugly truth is predictable from start to finish and relies on an oversimplified view of men and women. Females all wants wine and red roses, men all want a woman who gets on all fours. There is truth in that, of course, but to have it portrayed as this movie does, well, that doesn't really work. The scenes are lazy, there is a lack of built up and the jokes are lame. Furthermore, it is all done according to a heavily scripted formula and without even the smallest hint of depth. It's not all bad. The casting was actually done perfectly. I like the female actrice Heigl, a beautiful woman, someone who you can immediately picture being interested in guys with depth. I also like Butler, the guy perfectly cast to play the bad boy. All other casting was fine. Too bad they did not get a better script.
May 15, 2016
What happened to my co-star Katherine Heigl? Why would she choose this? There's about one laugh here, and it's in the first ten minutes. From there, you enter Tortureville. The insight, and it's actually good, into the differences between males/females is washed away with a predictable, lame, boring sitcom plot that drags & drags & drags.
April 21, 2016
Sometimes our favorites can be pretty not-great... The Ugly Truth is one of those for me. I acknowledge and recognize its faults, but consider it to be an enjoyable movie experience despite them. I recommend looking past the ratings on this one and you will either love it or hate it... But why not take the risk? ;)
April 20, 2016
fairly average chick-flick with very few funny moments. Quite predictable and cheesy. Assembly line stuff.
April 4, 2016
Fun, entertaining, and sexy, The Ugly Truth may not be the most original, but still has it's fair share of fun moments.
February 28, 2016
Far raunchier than average rom-com, "The Ugly Truth's" vulgar exploration into the ever raging battle-of-the-sexes is crude, obvious and utterly predictable but also completely true.

Delving into the language and interpretation barrier between men and women is a hot topic constantly explored but to no avail. Luckily, unlike the myriad of self help books focused on this very topic this movie offers no answers, just absolutely hilarious situations.

Control-freak Abby (Katherine Heigl) is an uber-efficient award winning producer of a Sacramento morning show whose ratings are at an all time low. In love, her overbearing and clingy persona has left her a frigid lonely heart, unable to find romance as her checklist of perfect mate qualities and over prepared typed conversation topics for a first date, simply drives men away screaming.

Chauvinistic Mike (Gerard Butler) is a cable-talk-show host who offers "reality check" relationship advice to women on late night TV. Mike offers crass, blunt and downright insulting advice to female callers making him a sudden sensation that drives a rating bonanza.

In an attempt to prevent the axe of Abby's slumping show, Stuart her boss (Nick Searcy) secretly hire's the trash talking Mike to present his own outrageous live and uncensored daily segment.

Revolted by his very existence and determined to expose him as a sham, Abby enlists the shows two married but feuding co-anchors Georgia (Cheryl Hines) and Larry (John Michael Higgins) to put the outspoken Mike in his place.

However, proving his theories of men and women's interactions is easy when Mike instantly sees through the couple's fake happy façade. As simply stated by Mike, Larry has been emasculated and unable to "get it up" since Georgia leapfrogged over his career hence leaving him angry and her sexually frustrated. Mike's solution: lots of rough sex.

Angry by not only his advice but the fact that he was right, Abby is determined to get rid of him. Under the guise of burying the professional hatchet (but hopeful to poke gapping holes in his indisputable confidence) Abby, still somewhat curious about the merit of his methods strikes a deal.

Smitten after a chance meeting with the "perfect guy" Dr. Colin (Eric Winter) her new neighbor the night before, Abby must use Mike's neanderthal methods of luring a man with long hair, tight jeans, playing naughty girl tricks and never passing judgment to make him fall in lover, however if it doesn't work Mike must quit.

Following his knuckle-dragging advice to the letter, Abby performs in a series of hilarious moments and situations. Sexualizing her wardrobe, playing kinky jokes with her food and putting her vibrating underwear on the line works like a charm, and Abby lands her man (and performs a delightful ditzy dance).

However, will misogynistic Mike's bravado and antics falter once he proves his relationship theories? And will he in turn be forced to face "The Ugly Truth" once Abby is happy?

Hollywood's mediocre movie execs have been desperately on the hunt for a replacement rom-com leading lady since the late 80's, hoping to find strong enough to fill the aging shoes of the dazzling smile and star quality of Julia Roberts (and the 90's Jennifer Aniston simply couldn't cut it). But have they found one in Katherine Heigl?

Trading a thigh-high plastic boot clad hooker, for a crisply-brittle and efficient television producer who's sexy naïveté leaves her donning a pair vibrating underwear during a business dinner yielding a five-minute orgasm (reminiscent of Meg Ryan's When Harry Meet Sally restaurant fake orgasm scene) is a good start.

Opposing Heigl is the mildly groomed but still gruff Gerard Butler. Squeezed between the blow-job jokes writers contrived to make Mike secretly cuddly with a soulful side introducing him as a role model to his 14 year old nephew. Butler conveys the romantic disappointment expected of this style of character nicely and injects extra bite and banter the lacking script.

The Verdict: In a nutshell; the mechanical rom-com formula of opposites attract awkwardly seesaws blandly between running gags of raunch and romance utilizing clichés and charisma through various workplace complications leading to self realizations and personal growth.

But as my work colleagues eloquently put "that is a far too intellectual look at an asinine rom-com just say it is funny first date film!" and I have to agree.

Published: The Queanbeyan Age
Date of Publication: 31/07/2009
February 1, 2016
I really dont know how the hell I can end up liking this movie cause Katherine Heigl is so annoying and terrible and Gerard Butler is an awful actor and its a romance movie. now dont get me wrong its not amazing but I guess cause I had such low expectations for it it wasnt bad. I will pretty much watch any movie and give any movie a chance, kinda glad I did so with this one
January 27, 2016
I don't hate ti. I think it's funny
½ December 28, 2015
They don't like each other s naturally they're in love.
October 13, 2015
This was a fun and entertaining film. There were times when I found the film too crass, but other than that it was a cool romantic comedy.
October 3, 2015
Funny bits but I felt some parts shouldn't have been added.
October 1, 2015
Apparently I'm supposed to see this.
September 7, 2015
The perfect rom com! Katherine Heigl is at her most adorable, Gerard Butler is at his hottest, and they're both fun to watch from start to predictable finish.
½ August 28, 2015
The Ugly Truth is funny and entertaining but it has a predictable romance-comedy story that I've seen before in other Hollywood movie. Katherine Heigl and Gerard Butler portrayed lovable characters and funny as well but the movie relied heavily on the romance-comedy theme of the story rather than having an effective story and solid script dialogues. The result is was not a totally convincing story and I find it having a very shallow conflict. The start has gained my interest for setting the plot and the theme of comedy by having effective funny scenes but towards the end it became predictable and mediocre rom-com movie. The Ugly Truth is directed by Robert Luketic.
July 30, 2015
This movie may teach some people how to think, when it come to getting someone lol.
½ July 27, 2015
So when you see a movie trailer for a new romantic comedy and you're like meh, it looks alright but for some reason it draws you in enough where you need to see it, so then you go to the theater, you go in not expecting much or knowing exactly what you think will happen, but then you laugh, and laugh, and laugh and you realize that the movie is much better than you thought it was going to be, it's a pleasant surprise, that is what this movie is, a very pleasant surprise, another must see.
May 29, 2015
Great movie. I love how they disposed each other at first and then fell in love.
May 21, 2015
Cute and funny! Definitely a great rental.
May 10, 2015