Unbreakable - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Unbreakable Reviews

½ November 21, 2017
Grounded in character work and containing two outstanding performances from Bruce Willis and Sam Jackson, Unbreakable delivers a superhero drama filled with intriguing turns and possibilities, even if its twist ending did not take time to set in for the audience.
November 9, 2017
I love that this movie is realistic and in my opinion Bruce Willis and Samuel L Jackson make the best performances of their careers in this movie.
November 3, 2017
Definitely guessed the "twist" at the end. But it was still a really interesting take on the superhero genre in a more realistic kind of way.
October 31, 2017
The third best surper hero movie
October 28, 2017
Unbreakable: Shyamalan's humanism and storytelling of the superhero genre virtually redefined the genre as a whole with story and realism. Shyamalone didn't make one of the first modern superhero films, he validated them.
October 19, 2017
Beautiful film. One of MNS's best. Bruce Willis is absolutely brilliant. The rest of the cast is amazing. This film holds up extremely well.
½ October 16, 2017
i absolutely love this movie. i love everything about it. the musical score is amazing and frequently makes the scene. the directing is awesome and so is the story. it has a very untraditional feel. the characters are so interesting. and never have character arcs been so apparent to me in a movie. (about 4 viewings)

SPOILERS

the one flaw i have with this movie is the text at the very end telling us what happens to them. i feel like it would have been much better to just leave it out, it sort of took me out of the scene which was giving me the business. the two twists were so awesome. i love how the three characters main arcs were completed one by one. bruce willis no longer sad because he's doing what he's supposed to do and saved his marriage. his son who no longer feels lost and his belief that his father is really a hero is proven true, literally and figuratively. and mr. glass finally finding his true purpose as the arch enemy to the superhero. this is a superhero movie that does not follow any of the usual things we see in those movies. i normally love when something builds up to a big action scene. but this movie's climax was so much more impactful than any action scene a superhero movie can offer. when he was fighting the rapist, i am brought to tears. it's such a perfect climax with amazing music
½ October 8, 2017
By justifying all the absurdities throughout the film with its foreboding twist ending, the climax was far too unfulfilling and perturbed to make the view redeeming.
½ October 6, 2017
Did not like this the first time I watched it. Couple years later, watched Split then rewatched this and enjoyed it much more
October 3, 2017
Unbreakable is the realist superhero film out there, less comic book like and more gritty to the point. Bruce willis is unbreakable, a every day man that never gets sick or injured. Samuel l jackson is a brittle bone sufferer obsessed with comic books. The two characters paths cross and bruce willis begins to discover whom he really is. An excellent film that really has the viewer right where it wants them.
September 23, 2017
This is my second favorite of all The My Shyamalone films. Intriguing and Suspenseful it's clear why he would make a sequel 17 years later. Pleasurable and absolute underrated Shamalyone directors his ass off.
September 23, 2017
This film was way too far ahead of its time to ever be truly appreciated for basically inventing the whole "gritty and realistic superhero" genre. Bruce Willis gives one of the best performances he's ever given, and the same can be said for Samuel L. Jackson. The visual language of the film is excellent, and the decision to film scenes in single long takes allows the film to breathe through its uncovering of the narrative hidden beneath its layers. While its twist ending doesn't have the same rewatch value as The Sixth Sense, and the decision to end the film with text on screen was egregious, the film is too good for these flaws to actually weigh it down. Must watch.
½ September 1, 2017
The best superhero movie.
August 14, 2017
I've never been particularly fond of super hero movies, especially with the endless barrage of Marvel flicks we've been getting over the past decade. Unbreakable takes the concept of hero vs. villain back to the drawing board, giving us an incredibly grounded, human story with little to no special effects. David (played by Bruce Willis) is involved in a massive train derailing and is the sole survivor of over 100 passengers. He's contacted by Elijah (played by Sam L. Jackson), who insists he has powers that he wants to investigate. The story moves at a brisk pace, and it's really interesting to see a different take on the average super hero film. That take is presented to us by the notorious (or even infamous at times) M. Night Shyamalan. Unbreakable was released in 2000, and it was the first movie in his filmography to come after The Sixth Sense. These were his glory days, which are known to have worn off back when he released The Last Airbender in 2010 and After Earth in 2013, respectively. He and Bruce Willis seem to work very well together, because he's fantastic here and in The Sixth Sense as well. Sam L. Jackson brings disability and obsession to the forefront in an engaging way that never gets dull. The ending is perhaps a little predictable, but it's executed in a satisfying way, and the script is thoroughly good. Digging up this 17 year old gem was a big breath of fresh air, taking my mind away from the overly flashy 150+ million dollar CGI festival that is known as modern Hollywood. I was so excited to learn that M. Night's newest film Split had ties to Unbreakable, not to mention that a sequel is in the works! M. Night may have been down, but he's not out for the count.
August 8, 2017
Watch to hear the score.
August 5, 2017
M. Night Shyamalan, a director i have had the pleasure of seeing become promising with The Sixth Sense (which is still my all time favourite from him) and the interestingly told but poorly executed Signs and The Village to just failing again and again with films like The Last Airbender and Lady in the Water (and creating or producing so bad it's good films like The Happening, Devil, and After Earth). And I think it's because of just how easy it's been to harp on him for making bad film after film I've grown to forget on what made him as iconic as a director when he first started out. However though, without at least not acknowledging or at least getting a good idea where he at least showed true talent as a filmmaker (both in writing, producing and especially directing). Which now leads into this little gem that, behind The Sixth Sense, showed the director at his strongest: Unbreakable. Considered on release not on par with M Night's first film but still liked for the most part, this film more recently has gotten a heavy cult-following with a lot of fans of both the director and also critics. And after what was a really random time, I finally got time to go and watch this and see if I could enjoy it as others seem to have. And I gotta say, after watching i I can say Unbreakable is not only my second favourite M. Night film to date but also a very clever and nice spin on a superhero origin story without any of the superhero elements you'd expect in it.

And while some elements like some timed coincidences in the plot, the twist while incredibly emotional and well done still felt really predictable despite being well executed, a scene involving David and a gun that felt really too out of character and kind of took me away from the film for a moment and Bruce Willis performance while still solid on his own felt a bit flat and a little monotone and kind of disappointed me given how fantastic he was in Sixth Sense, these are just scare negatives in what's overall a fantastic and very creative idea on the 'Superhero' idea. And this comes thanks to a great cast who do their job very well, incredibly well implemented and creative camerawork from M. Night Shyamalan that remind me why I used to love him back in the day and what made him unique, well constructed and surprisingly poignant writing that balances out tone and storytelling with delivering exposition or things about our characters through normal conversations and not through an entire scene with expository dialogue which for M. Night is incredibly refreshing to see and is something I personally admire in films, a very well layered and intriguing story that in a lot of ways reminds me of George Romero's Martin where they try to put a spin on the typical tropes of a genre with a modern day twist, James Howard Newton delivering his best on the soundtrack, and has a standout performance and character from Samuel L. Jackson that I'm so glad they took the time to develop and make him relatable.

So overall, Unbreakable is indeed the best of what M. Night could deliver and i'm really glad I got the chance to watch fully. And considering the release of Split, which I was already spoiled it's tie into this film, I'm curious to see how the director decides to follow all this up with 'Glass' but more importantly also makes me curious if Split can come back to this type of Shyamalan that many critics and audiences loved all the way back.

Score: 8.5 / 10
½ July 30, 2017
M. Night Shyamalan's criminally underrated film starring Bruce Willis often takes heat for two very specific reasons.
1.) It's too boring
2.) The twist isn't surprising enough
I do understand where people who raise the first complaint are coming from, as the film does move quite slowly and even drags on at times during the second act. however, the second criticism is one that baffles me to this day. It is arguably this mindset that helped M. Night's career plummet into the underworld (only to be sort of revived by Split, almost), as he was pressured into not only including a twist at the end of all of his films, but one that was crazier and more unexpected than The Sixth Sense, a nearly impossible feat. Unbreakable shouldn't be defined by its twist, but rather the intriguing concept and complex characters. It's far from a perfect film, but certainly a very good one which I would recommend.
July 4, 2017
M. Night Shamylan's absolute best film and one of the most underrated superhero films of all time. I fucking love it.
½ June 27, 2017
One of Shayamalan's most underrated movies. Very suspenceful, has a great script and plot twist.