Unbreakable - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Unbreakable Reviews

½ October 8, 2016
A worthy attempt for a follow up to The Sixth Sense. Original concept. A slow burn. Rating: 7 / 10
½ September 30, 2016
good cast. gets a bit ridiculous toward the end.
September 26, 2016
Take the plot too literally and it doesn't make much sense. Once you realise it is a comic book movie you then you see how the premise is brilliantly executed.
½ September 13, 2016
I had higher expectations, though it's still a pretty kick-ass film.
July 28, 2016
I want to like this movie more than I do. Good performances and cool camera work, but a lot of it is really contrived and dumb
½ July 25, 2016
The twist here is your watching a super hero film, and you'd never know it. Also for any of this movie to matter we're eventually going to need a sequel Mr. Glass vs Unbreakable or whatever; some prequel sprinkled throughout, yeah that could be good, flesh out the universe, bump up the budget... I'm ready for that.
July 22, 2016
Easily M. Night Shyamalan's best movie (Sixth Sense is good, but not this good), 'Unbreakable' has 2 great central performances, a great score by James Newton Howard, and a story that was really before its time, that would have performed better if released today.
½ July 17, 2016
What if a superhero movie was somehow boring? If you've ever wondered that then watch this movie.
July 17, 2016
Unbreakable is a memorable film that follows Bruce Willis as a man with the power to never be hurt physically from anything. Even though it's technically a superhero film, Unbreakable is so much more than that, focusing on how Willis is dealing with the revelation of this, while trying to save his marriage. I would've liked to see more action that what I got, but Unbreakable is a great film with a memorable ending
July 12, 2016
an original plot twist and a somewhat enjoyable story. small amounts of violence when we hope to have more. wouldn't pay for this movie but could be a good enjoyment to sit and watch with friends and family.
½ June 23, 2016
This is a superhero movie in hiding. Ultimately, however, it is an exciting story about a man who has inhuman power and doesn't know how to use it. This is the most compelling aspect of "Unbreakable." David Dunn has know idea what his purpose in life is. This hopelessness is portrayed so effectively by Bruce Willis who gives a performance rivaling his performance from "The Sixth Sense" a year earlier. Samuel L. Jackson's "Elijah" just might be more intriguing, however. He is a man who has struggled with a disease his whole life, and looks to fictional comic books for his hope in life. When Dunn survives a train derailment that no human should, Elijah becomes interested in developing this mysterious power. Overall, "Unbreakable" is a thrilling tale that is directed in a simple, yet engaging fashion, well-written and acted characters, and a veil of complete mystery throughout that pays off in the best way possible. It is thoroughly entertaining: 4.5/5
½ June 22, 2016
A poorly executed story that spends the entire movie waiting for the protagonist to come to the conclusion the audience has known the entire time. Then, once the Shyamalan "twist" is revealed, the movie ends, and we're uneventfully told the antagonist simply goes to jail.
June 6, 2016
I think Tarantino said it best when he said something along the lines of " It is one of the masterpieces of our generation." Truly one of the most underrated movies our modern era and the lack of credit it gets disturbs me. Performances are immaculate and the plot and execution are absolutely fantastic. This is one of my favorite movies of all time hands down. A must see.
June 5, 2016
I freely admit that I am unfamiliar with M. Night Shyamalan‚??s work. Today, he is considered a punchline meaning ‚??bad director,‚?? but he was once respected for his quality films. I do not believe this to be one of them.

The movie feels forever trapped in the first act. There is no rising action for a very long time, and I really don‚??t get the sense anyone gets an arc (except Bruce Willis‚?? lead character). There‚??s no conflict that drives the movie, and little chemistry between the leads. The ending feels very unsatisfying, and the movie as a whole feels like a collection of scenes rather than a cohesive story.

Bruce Willis doesn‚??t grab me here at all. His storylines seem to go nowhere, and I don‚??t know what motivates him. Same goes for Samuel L. Jackson, or really any of the cast. I don‚??t know why they are doing what they are doing, and I feel lost and confused throughout the entire ‚??plot.‚??

While there are some directing choices that are done well, nothing grabs me. To steal a line from film critic Jeremy Jahns, you‚??ll forget about this movie in T-minus 1 day.
May 21, 2016
Very underrated follow up to Shyamalan's masterpiece and long before his star lost its shine. This is one of my favourite Willis performances, contains one of my favourite scores and is a quality film.
½ April 26, 2016
I liked the movie because m night made a super hero that isn't real but made him fit in with the real world . This movie has amazing writing I have watched to many times to count . The fillmings pretty good . It's got good twists and it's Will keep you on the edge of your seat till the end .
½ April 25, 2016
One of if not M Night Shamalayans best. It's a super hero movie, though some may not see it. The acting is phenomenal, especially from Samuel L Jackson and Bruce Willis, and the cinematography was great. I loved three wide angle shots. Great flick
April 14, 2016
A smartly written, well acted, and beautifully shot film to behold, Unbreakable is one of the best comic book movies that isn't actually based on a comic book.
April 12, 2016
This movie was well-directed, with a chilling atmosphere and interesting camera angles. I was interested throughout, but it was like I was waiting for something to happen and it never did. I praise Shyamalan for his ambition and orginality, but this is a pretentious and ultimately disappointing movie. I could tell there was something wrong with the script. Some dialogues were stupid and some scenes were just unnecessary. The movie lacked character development or a good story. I loved the Sixth Sense, but this movie failed to win my favor,