Unbreakable - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Unbreakable Reviews

½ September 1, 2017
The best superhero movie.
August 14, 2017
I've never been particularly fond of super hero movies, especially with the endless barrage of Marvel flicks we've been getting over the past decade. Unbreakable takes the concept of hero vs. villain back to the drawing board, giving us an incredibly grounded, human story with little to no special effects. David (played by Bruce Willis) is involved in a massive train derailing and is the sole survivor of over 100 passengers. He's contacted by Elijah (played by Sam L. Jackson), who insists he has powers that he wants to investigate. The story moves at a brisk pace, and it's really interesting to see a different take on the average super hero film. That take is presented to us by the notorious (or even infamous at times) M. Night Shyamalan. Unbreakable was released in 2000, and it was the first movie in his filmography to come after The Sixth Sense. These were his glory days, which are known to have worn off back when he released The Last Airbender in 2010 and After Earth in 2013, respectively. He and Bruce Willis seem to work very well together, because he's fantastic here and in The Sixth Sense as well. Sam L. Jackson brings disability and obsession to the forefront in an engaging way that never gets dull. The ending is perhaps a little predictable, but it's executed in a satisfying way, and the script is thoroughly good. Digging up this 17 year old gem was a big breath of fresh air, taking my mind away from the overly flashy 150+ million dollar CGI festival that is known as modern Hollywood. I was so excited to learn that M. Night's newest film Split had ties to Unbreakable, not to mention that a sequel is in the works! M. Night may have been down, but he's not out for the count.
August 8, 2017
Watch to hear the score.
August 6, 2017
This is my second favorite of all The My Shyamalone films. Intriguing and Suspenseful it's clear why he would make a sequel 17 years later.
August 5, 2017
M. Night Shyamalan, a director i have had the pleasure of seeing become promising with The Sixth Sense (which is still my all time favourite from him) and the interestingly told but poorly executed Signs and The Village to just failing again and again with films like The Last Airbender and Lady in the Water (and creating or producing so bad it's good films like The Happening, Devil, and After Earth). And I think it's because of just how easy it's been to harp on him for making bad film after film I've grown to forget on what made him as iconic as a director when he first started out. However though, without at least not acknowledging or at least getting a good idea where he at least showed true talent as a filmmaker (both in writing, producing and especially directing). Which now leads into this little gem that, behind The Sixth Sense, showed the director at his strongest: Unbreakable. Considered on release not on par with M Night's first film but still liked for the most part, this film more recently has gotten a heavy cult-following with a lot of fans of both the director and also critics. And after what was a really random time, I finally got time to go and watch this and see if I could enjoy it as others seem to have. And I gotta say, after watching i I can say Unbreakable is not only my second favourite M. Night film to date but also a very clever and nice spin on a superhero origin story without any of the superhero elements you'd expect in it.

And while some elements like some timed coincidences in the plot, the twist while incredibly emotional and well done still felt really predictable despite being well executed, a scene involving David and a gun that felt really too out of character and kind of took me away from the film for a moment and Bruce Willis performance while still solid on his own felt a bit flat and a little monotone and kind of disappointed me given how fantastic he was in Sixth Sense, these are just scare negatives in what's overall a fantastic and very creative idea on the 'Superhero' idea. And this comes thanks to a great cast who do their job very well, incredibly well implemented and creative camerawork from M. Night Shyamalan that remind me why I used to love him back in the day and what made him unique, well constructed and surprisingly poignant writing that balances out tone and storytelling with delivering exposition or things about our characters through normal conversations and not through an entire scene with expository dialogue which for M. Night is incredibly refreshing to see and is something I personally admire in films, a very well layered and intriguing story that in a lot of ways reminds me of George Romero's Martin where they try to put a spin on the typical tropes of a genre with a modern day twist, James Howard Newton delivering his best on the soundtrack, and has a standout performance and character from Samuel L. Jackson that I'm so glad they took the time to develop and make him relatable.

So overall, Unbreakable is indeed the best of what M. Night could deliver and i'm really glad I got the chance to watch fully. And considering the release of Split, which I was already spoiled it's tie into this film, I'm curious to see how the director decides to follow all this up with 'Glass' but more importantly also makes me curious if Split can come back to this type of Shyamalan that many critics and audiences loved all the way back.

Score: 8.5 / 10
½ July 30, 2017
M. Night Shyamalan's criminally underrated film starring Bruce Willis often takes heat for two very specific reasons.
1.) It's too boring
2.) The twist isn't surprising enough
I do understand where people who raise the first complaint are coming from, as the film does move quite slowly and even drags on at times during the second act. however, the second criticism is one that baffles me to this day. It is arguably this mindset that helped M. Night's career plummet into the underworld (only to be sort of revived by Split, almost), as he was pressured into not only including a twist at the end of all of his films, but one that was crazier and more unexpected than The Sixth Sense, a nearly impossible feat. Unbreakable shouldn't be defined by its twist, but rather the intriguing concept and complex characters. It's far from a perfect film, but certainly a very good one which I would recommend.
July 4, 2017
M. Night Shamylan's absolute best film and one of the most underrated superhero films of all time. I fucking love it.
June 28, 2017
The Direction in which M Night Goes is fonimanl and best of all it's better than the sixth sense.
½ June 27, 2017
One of Shayamalan's most underrated movies. Very suspenceful, has a great script and plot twist.
June 26, 2017
It's a fantastic and different approach to the superhero movies genre that in the future would become very popular. However, "Unbreakable" is much more than that and, even today, it lets the audience thinking about it! Samuel L. Jackson and Bruce Willis are a hell of a team! It's a must-see!
June 24, 2017
Enjoyed this movie. Different for M. Night.
June 20, 2017
Loved it. Would be 5 without the few slow pace parts of movie.
June 19, 2017
Good actors & moodily filmed. But half a dozen story arcs thrown randomly out but never brought to fruition. Fundamental facts inconsistent. Even the hero epitome needlessly (& un-comic like) horrifying in context. Pick one story & tell it!

[spoiler]
The hero's rain poncho as cowl/cape was the most cool part of the flick.
June 16, 2017
Personally my favorite Shyamalan film, Unbreakable is a great watch, having both character development and heart to make it one of Shyamalan best films to date!
½ June 16, 2017
(To start my lead up to the release of "Split", im watching all of Shyamalan's films.) This film was so great. I enjoyed it just as much as i enjoyed The Sixth Sense. This is another Classic Shyamalan film. It has Bruce Willis survive a train crash. He starts being confronted by a man who spent a third of his life reading comic books. Samuel L Jackson believes that Bruce Willis is a super hero. Jackson and Willis did such a great job in this film. They played the characters real well. The score is also amazing. The cinematography is beautiful. This film is filled with beautiful shots. M Night Shyamalan did an amazing job writing, producing, and Directing this film. The twist is so perfect to the plot also. A definite watch for everyone.

Rating: 9.7/10
June 7, 2017
17 years after its release, Unbreakable certainly seems amateurish and awkwardly paced. This does not stop it from being an entertaining study of superhero mythos. Easily Shyamalan's best work up until Split.
½ June 2, 2017
liked the premise but the twists were getting old even then mnight also this was the beginning for me of Bruce phoning in his part
May 31, 2017
It was decent, nothing extraordinary, lots of unanswered questions, weird ending, little bit slow, but it was ok.