United 93 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

United 93 Reviews

June 23, 2017
Paul Greengrass does a great job handling this very sensitive subject matter. I believe as American you almost have a duty to your country to at least see this film once. It is very respectful to everyone involved. Be ready because this film is a tearjerker.
June 21, 2017
This is one of the most tear jerking movie I have ever seen. This movie is good at portraying what happened on the plane, or at least what we thought happened. This movie is not recommended for those who are bothered by this kind of stuff. This movie is just good because it respects the issue and doesn't add something that didn't happen at all. Bring a tissue box when you go to see it. I thought the directing was good in this movie. This movie hit me really hard emotionally. I really felt what people felt on this day. A
May 6, 2017
Love this movie so good buying the movie but warning very sad
February 21, 2017
Grade - B+
Nobody makes films like Paul Greengrass. He brings a raw realism to everything he does. Here, with 'United 93', he focuses on the four hijack missions that took place on September 11th 2001, specifically the one that didn't reach its target. It's emotional, unbearably intense and profoundly unnerving. Not a movie that you'll enjoy, but one that you must see.
January 29, 2017
This real time account of the terrorist attacks on United 93 bypasses exploitive action and violence and provides a fresh sobering perspective on how 9/11 played out in front of the front liners.
½ January 1, 2017
United 93 is a very mature look at the flight that crashed over a cornfield during 9/11. It must be noted that nobody knows for sure what happened, but there is evidence of the passengers interfering with plans to possibly hit the White House. The movie started out very slow for me at first, but the continued layers added on about the other events that occurred before the United 93 crash made me more and more interested, despite my knowledge of what happened on 9/11. The last 30-45 minutes was in my opinion a masterpiece, the emotions and tension was flowing off the screen and on to me. Despite not being very familiar with any of the cast besides Olivia Thribly, (from Dredd) I really bought all the performances and really thought everyone did a fantastic job in their roles. Like I said, the final act was as perfect as I thought the ending could have been and that alone made my rating on this soar
December 26, 2016
This is a gripping, dark, well-acted movie that treats the subject matter with respect, and is shot and presented so realistically, one can truly experience the horrors of 9/11.
December 11, 2016
Juste débilement bon. Sur le gros nerf tout le long, même si on sait pas mal comment ça va finir, tsé. Chapeau à Paul Greengrass.
November 20, 2016
This is one of, if not the most intense film I have ever seen in my entire life. I know I say that many films have intense endings or how some certain action scenes are intense, this whole movie was intense. From start to finish. This is up there with Mad Max Fury Road on the basis of how fast your heart pumps while viewing it. Unlike Mad Max, though, this is based on a true story. Now, did everything that happened on the plane in the film really happen? Nobody will ever know, but that's what is so scary about it. Now, I was only 6 years old when America was attacked by terrorists on that day and I don't even remember how I became aware that such attacks even took place. However, I couldn't sit down while watching this movie. During the last 20 minutes, I was pacing around my room watching the screen. That NEVER happens. If a movie literally cannot contain me to a couch or chair, then it's doing something right. As for the film itself, I feel like Paul Greengrass was the perfect choice to make this film. His expertise of the "shaky-cam" and his wonderful techniques of shooting scenes where government and aircraft officials are all on phones and intercoms in boardrooms all really push the movie forward. Also, there are no real recognizable stars in this film, at least any with big names. This really pushed the message that these people, were just people. Not action heroes or movie stars, regular people like you and me. They were the ones to stand up and try to make a difference. If you had cast a Leonardo DiCaprio or someone with a big movie star persona, sure it would have worked but it would come across as way more Hollywood and less gritty and real. Overall, this is a must watch! Now, I don't know what it felt like to witness 9/11 first hand or even witness it on television as it was happening so I will not know how people will react to this film. After hearing war vets left Saving Private Ryan, I can only imagine people, especially New Yorkers, watching this film after having the vivid memory of the real event. With that being said, this film was extraordinary!
½ November 12, 2016
A dramatised account of United 93, one of the four flights hijacked on 9/11. We see the events of that fateful day unfold from several perspectives - the passengers, crew and hijackers of United 93, several air traffic controllers in a few major control centres and from the perspective of the military, in particular US air defence at NORAD.

Intense, realistic and utterly compelling. Mixing dramatisations of actual events, eg the air traffic control scenes, with best guess estimates of what happened in United 93 we have a movie that is part-docu-drama, part-fiction (though probably quite close to the truth). This gives the movie a great grittiness.

Very well set up too. The scenes of passengers and crew getting on the plane are like any flight. This makes the movie even more engaging, as it shows it the characters were just everyday people going about their everyday lives, until fate changed that.

Even when action is called for, there's no gung ho, Bruce Willis-like heroics. It's all pretty realistic and engaging.

The sense of realism and real people is helped by having a cast of largely unknowns. Many of the air traffic controllers and some of the USAF personnel are played by themselves. No Hollywood pretentiousness and glamour.

And then there's the tension. Director Paul Greengrass builds the intensity well, and ends the movie at the height of it, i.e. perfectly.

Even though you know how it is going to end, you can't look away for a second, it is that compelling.

Superb movie.
½ September 19, 2016
This is a film that leaves ego at the door and tells one of the most harrowing stories imaginable. The respect and vision of this film are impeccable. It begins and ends with prayer. Oh, God, what we do to each other.
September 11, 2016
It took me ten years to be able to see this movie, but I'm glad I did. After the awful docudrama "Flight 93" on USA that came out earlier in 2006, I was hesitant to watch this. But this movie is a definitive 9/11 story, with none of the jingoism or melodrama that could have been shown. Paul Greengrass did an amazing job with this movie, a movie that will keep its impact for years. This is heroism.
September 11, 2016
Words cannot describe the amount of pain, sorry and fear I felt when experiencing this near masterpiece. It is one of the most brilliantly crafted films I've seen in a while and few films have made me tear up as much as this one. I legitimately near threw up from how ill these events made me feel.
August 11, 2016
Uncomfortably tense. Insane to think that this was something that actually happened... still, it makes you think: if something this horrific happened under the last arrogant, antagonistic and moronic Republican president, imagine how much worse the next event under the next one might be, considering the present option ranks higher on all counts.
August 5, 2016
Not much needs to be said about what happened on that day, but something deserves to be said about Greengrass's treatment of the event, taking air traffic controller & military personnel & putting them in a movie such as this that will hopefully be a reminder of how ill-prepared for a national crisis. I certainly hope watching this movie was a wake up call for the FAA/Military.
jamrcla
July 20, 2016
Not a film that should be praised because of what it's about but it's a very gripping and powerful film, Very well acted but it's hard to watch as we all know what happens and people do need to watch this and remember that there was more than two planes that got hijacked that day.
July 14, 2016
Is one of the most powerful flms i've seen in my life. Even though you barely know the characters, you care for them and you end knowing the heroes they were.
½ July 6, 2016
An excellent thriller.
½ June 27, 2016
Flight 93 is a heartwarming and brilliant movie. This movie is based on the September 11 attacks about the fourth plane Flight 93 that went down in Shanksville, Pennsylvania. A movie about the brave passengers that fought for their lives against the hijackers is brilliant. I would very much suggest this movies.
½ June 16, 2016
Respectful but stomach-churning and emotionally stirring.