United 93 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

United 93 Reviews

August 11, 2016
Uncomfortably tense. Insane to think that this was something that actually happened... still, it makes you think: if something this horrific happened under the last arrogant, antagonistic and moronic Republican president, imagine how much worse the next event under the next one might be, considering the present option ranks higher on all counts.
August 5, 2016
Not much needs to be said about what happened on that day, but something deserves to be said about Greengrass's treatment of the event, taking air traffic controller & military personnel & putting them in a movie such as this that will hopefully be a reminder of how ill-prepared for a national crisis. I certainly hope watching this movie was a wake up call for the FAA/Military.
July 20, 2016
Not a film that should be praised because of what it's about but it's a very gripping and powerful film, Very well acted but it's hard to watch as we all know what happens and people do need to watch this and remember that there was more than two planes that got hijacked that day.
July 14, 2016
Is one of the most powerful flms i've seen in my life. Even though you barely know the characters, you care for them and you end knowing the heroes they were.
½ July 6, 2016
An excellent thriller.
½ June 27, 2016
Flight 93 is a heartwarming and brilliant movie. This movie is based on the September 11 attacks about the fourth plane Flight 93 that went down in Shanksville, Pennsylvania. A movie about the brave passengers that fought for their lives against the hijackers is brilliant. I would very much suggest this movies.
½ June 16, 2016
Respectful but stomach-churning and emotionally stirring.
April 23, 2016
Greengrass's best movie; with his documentary-like realism used to best effect; thrusting the audience into the pure chaos and confusion of that morning.
April 7, 2016
A well shot and powerful film with a haunting and unforgettable ending
February 22, 2016
Okay, there is a lot of controversy surrounding Paul Greengrass' 2006 masterwork ''United 93'' and i get why, sure i do, but i read a great deal of ignorant commenters pulling arguments out of their asses to have a reason to hate on this movie which is just plain ridiculous. They're saying things like ''It's bad because its unrealistic, the United 93 plane was shot down, they never reached the cabin, they didnt even have telephones to call, and things like that, which pisses me off, because if anyone does the slightest bit of research in what went on in and around the United 93 plane, they can figure out this movie is very close to the truth. (How far it is legitimately known ofcourse)
Calls were made, they have exact timestamps of when, they did reach the cabin there is proof of that from the sound from the Blackbox, the plane was not shot down, but crashed as depicted, because where it crashed it left like a 28m deep crater, and you dont get that by being shot down, you create that by flying into the ground with 900 km/h.

Now i have that out of the way i just want to say that ''United 93'' is an incredible film, it is realistic, visceral, pulse-pounding, gut wrenching, heartbreaking, emotionally heavy film. People might say ''Why choose this subject matter to entertain people and make money off of'' well my reply to those is, if there is one thing this movie isnt, it is entertaining, this movie is far from entertaining, its a heavy and visceral movie experience that you wont like, but it will move you. This isnt a movie you'd want to pop in on a Friday night to have a good time with your pal's. No it defenitly isnt.
As for the money making aspect, i dont think this movie made much money and it wasnt intended to do so (Unlike 'World Trade Center' which is also a very known 9/11 movie, that is most sertainly a bad film, United 93 is a harrowing chronicle and has scarcely a hint of Hollywood. ) , it treated it subject matter meticulously and paid respect to the victims of the horrible attacks.

United 93 is by far the best movie about terrorism, and certainly the best movie tackeling the heavy subject of the 9/11 attacks.
February 10, 2016
Movies that deal with real-life national tragedies can help to heal, but can also reopen old wounds. For the effect to be more the former than the latter, there usually has to be a significant amount of time between such painful events and their re-creation on screen. With just a few notable exceptions, there were hardly any movies made about the Vietnam War until about a dozen years after the U.S. military's withdrawal. After the attack on Pearl Harbor (except for 1940s propaganda films), the time frame was similar. After the Kennedy Assassination, it was 30 years (not counting documentaries). In light of this pattern, it's all the more remarkable that writer, co-producer and director Paul Greengrass was able to release such a powerful, yet respectful dramatization of the 9/11 terrorist attacks with his film "United 93" (R, 1:51) less than five years after the heartbreakingly momentous events that the film portrays.

This film is a docudrama which focuses on the story of United Flight #93, which was the only of the four airplanes hijacked on September 11, 2001 that did not reach its destination - due to the heroic attempt by the passengers to take control of the plane away from its four hijackers. Greengrass took a number of extraordinary measures to make this film as accurate, authentic and respectful as possible. His script relies heavily on first-person accounts of 9/11, radio transmissions and phone calls from United 93's passengers and crew as the hijacking was happening. The filmmakers received the cooperation of most of the families of the innocent victims on that flight (including providing personal information about their loved ones), and representatives from many of those families attended the film's premiere in New York City on April 26, 2006. (A portion of the film's profits went towards the construction of a permanent 9/11 memorial in the rural southern Pennsylvania field where the plane crashed. The film eventually contributed over one million dollars to the Flight 93 National Memorial which was dedicated on September 10, 2011.)

An especially remarkable aspect of this film's production is the effort put forth in the name of authenticity while casting the film and directing the performers. The filmmakers hired little-known professional actors (although some, such as Olivia Thirlby, have since become more recognizable to fans of movies and TV). During filming, the actors playing the passengers and those playing the hijackers were housed in separate hotels and were not allowed to eat meals together or socialize with each other off of the set. The pilots and flight attendants in the movie are played by actual airline pilots and flight attendants. The civilian air traffic controllers and airport tower staff, as well as some of the military personnel in the movie, are played by a combination of people who actually do those jobs and some who participated in the events depicted in the film. The largest role filled by someone playing himself was that of Ben Sliney, the FAA National Operations Manager on 9/11. It was his first day in his new job.

After some brief introductory scenes, most of the story plays out in real time, from the perspective of that doomed United Airlines flight. As the terrorists make final preparations for their suicide mission, the crew and then the passengers board the plane and Sliney and others arrive at work, Greengrass pulls the camera back and lets the actors improvise dialog. This all gives us just enough of a sense of time and place, as well as who these people were, and reminds us that 9/11 started off as a very ordinary day.

As the major events of 9/11 begin to unfold, we see normal activity in FAA and in military facilities, in an airport control tower in Newark and in air traffic control centers in New York, Boston and Cleveland - the center monitoring United 93 at the time that we now know it was being taken over and re-routed by the hijackers. The script keeps its focus on the ordinary people involved in these events, but, mostly on the individuals and events aboard United 93. We don't see any famous faces and the only airplane that we see from the inside is that of the film's title. We observe the major events of that day as they unfolded in each of these locations, with all the shock, horror, confusion and heroism from that day.

"United 93" is simply a tremendous achievement in filmmaking. The movie's script, cinematography and performances combine to create authenticity on screen and tension in the viewer, but the film never becomes exploitive. Greengrass and his cast seamlessly blend the performances to the extent that it is nearly impossible to tell the difference between the professional actors, those paying tribute to a variety of heroic individuals and the people recreating their own experiences from that horrible day. The viewer is made to feel as if he or she is right there - in the room or on the plane as these things are actually happening. As the story careens towards its horrifying real-life conclusion, many people watching the movie find themselves desperately hoping, even actively willing, that the story will end differently than how we know it does. THAT'S impressive filmmaking - and a fitting tribute to the nearly 2,000 innocent lives we lost on September 11, 2001. "United 93" is a film that I will never forget, depicting a day and a story that none of us should ever forget.
January 10, 2016
I have never seen a movie that has been so craftily directed giving so much attention to minute details. The natural flow of the actors involved and a tense gripping environment till the very end is a pleasure for the eyes but above all it has outdone every other movie in one beautiful thing: cherishing the heartbreaking sacrifices of the passengers of flight 93.
In my opinion, this is the greatest directed and edited movie I have ever seen
½ January 2, 2016
Highly entertaining, though I wish this film has never been made.
December 17, 2015
Ok film about a tragic event in history
December 12, 2015
Although the beginning of the movie is slow and dull, the pace gradually builds to an intense and passionate finish when the passengers reclaim the plane. The acting is competent and realistic, but nothing amazing until the final few minutes.
November 9, 2015
Tough to watch but great movie.
½ November 6, 2015
Tells a great, true story with respect to the real story while having great acting, suspense, and emotional moments.
November 2, 2015
Paul Greengrass's United 93 is a fantastic movie that is the best, and most tragic, that's related to 9/11. I can see why they used different and new actors that you never heard of as this is pretty much an reenactment film, and the acting is really great. The writing is very well-written and never felt like exposition as this this is what people would actually say. It's very smart, and it gets very intense at times. It's actually nice to see what's going on outside of the Twin Towers as it gives a perspective of what are they going to do. The climax is the most tense part in which you have no idea if they would survive or not, even though everyone knew what happened that day. United 93 is a riveted movie that makes me wish that it made just as enough money as Oliver Stone's World Trade Center.
½ October 17, 2015
This is a harrowing, respectful portrayal of the events of 9/11 that builds the tension remarkably. The bravery of the passengers on United 93 is astonishing and painful. I found myself wishing for an alternate ending, even though I knew there wouldn't be one.
½ October 6, 2015
It's about as much fun to watch as a punch to the gut, but Paul Greengrass successfully crafts a drama that is respectful and engaging, despite the end outcome already being known.