U.S. Marshals Reviews

• Sep 28, 2020

I found this as good as The Fugitive with some very similar type scenes such as a plane crash instead of a train crash where the prisoner escapes from & you find the person being chased after is not guilty of the crime he supposedly was to have committed!

• Jul 06, 2020

The focus on Tommy Lee Jones is appreciated but the script is far too predictable.

• Jun 15, 2020

The follow-up to The Fugitive doesn't reach the level of the original. Tommy Lee Jones is fantastic but the film lacks a certain Harrison Ford.

• May 01, 2020

Tommy Lee Jones reprising his roll from the Fugitive is the only reason to watch this movie. Wesley Snipes as the fugitive and Robert Downey Jr. as the additional sidekick are OK, but they could have been interchangeable with any of a dozen different actors. For those who needed a little something more after the Fugitive, this is that little something more, and not much else.

• Feb 22, 2020

One of my favorite!!

One of my favorite!!

• Nov 28, 2019

I'm glad that they attempted a sequel to the Samuel Gerard character from the Fugitive. Unfortunately, too much of this one was far-fetched.

• Jul 23, 2019

This was pretty good. Good action and good story. The leads rocked it in this thriller.

• Jul 22, 2019

Tommy Lee Jones is great. The film does seem a lot less compelling compared to The fugitive.

• May 08, 2019

I have never seen The Fugitive (1993) which I understand is far better than this film and contains an iconic Tommy Lee Jones performance but I saw U.S Marshals on Netflix and I decided to watch it because my dad liked the look of it. I didn't hate it when I re-watched it but my tolerance for films with little to no character development has dropped heavily after seeing Heat (1995) and The Long Goodbye (1973) both of which are intense character studies as well as containing great action scenes. This is a movie that will still entertain your family and it requires very little engagement allowing you to multi-task while watching it or have a long discussion with your mother while you tune out the underwritten dialogue. Samuel Gerard, Tommy Lee Jones, is ordered to track down federal fugitive Mark Warren, Wesley Snipes, with the help of a new partner John Royce, Robert Downey Jr., as we discover that this fugitive may be innocent. Warren is in love with Marie Bineaux, Irene Jacob, who is interrogated by the marshals and several members of Gerard's team are shot and killed. The third act twist, spoiler: Royce is a double agent who has murdered several of Gerard's fellow team members, climaxes in a factory. The best scenes in the film are those between Warren and Bineaux as Snipes and Jacob are able to develop a believable connection very quickly and the sweetness of their romance is a nice break from the otherwise male centered action film that this tries to be. He catches her while breathless at her job in the department store and he believes in him immediately when he explains the reason for his being a fugitive. The dialogue was better written here than in most of the film and even though they only appear very briefly I had a real appreciation for them as part of the story. Jones' performance in the lead role was still decent but we've come to accept him as always playing this character. Although I prefer Coal Miner's Daughter (1980)-era Jones he does bring a sternness and a gravitas to the character that is needed in an otherwise average production. The actors that surround Jones seem less enthused about their roles, I don't blame them, with Tom Wood and Kate Nelligan appearing very blank in their important supporting parts. Downey Jr. is a well used villain but I would have preferred to have seen Charlie Sheen or Nicolas Cage, definitely too big at this point, in this role. Better films to watch that each person involved in this film has made are out there. For example, Jones starred in Eyes of Laura Mars (1978) and The Big Town (1987), Snipes was fantastic in White Men Can't Jump (1992), Jacob is a bona fide leading lady in The Double Life of Veronique (1991) and Three Colors: Red (1994) and the film's director also edited Lisztomania (1975). Watch those before stepping near this but I can't imagine this film disappointing fans of The Fugitive (1993) too much. I understand that the push-pull between Jones and Harrison Ford was important in the predecessor to this film and here they may have been trying to replicate this dynamic with both Snipes and Downey Jr. as an adversary and a protà (C)gà (C) of sorts, respectively. Judging by Jones' lack of chemistry with both of these actors I would hope that he and Ford have a camaraderie on the level of Robert De Niro and Al Pacino in Heat considering the acclaim that The Fugitive gets from fans and critics alike. I'm not saying I love this film and I can't give it a positive rating because it is not a film that I would recommend without a specific criteria but it's not terrible. The Island of Dr. Moreau (1996) is a truly terrible action flick featuring great actors and although Jones is deserving of his legend status and is great at what he does he is not enough to make the film great. Finding a film for the whole family to enjoy can be difficult and this could be the one if you are trying to appeal to the men in your family.

• Apr 10, 2019

The talented cast just can't help this standard thriller stand out. 2/5 - Forgettable