VFW Reviews

• Jul 04, 2020

VFW is an old-school Grindhouse movie to the highest degree. It features insane camera work, Crazy plot , over the top action and blood, and cheesy acting. If that’s what you’re looking for this movie delivers. Unfortunately that can be a fault as a lot of the action in the movie is cut so quickly it’s really hard to see what’s going on. There’s a lot of cheesy lines and corny acting in this movie and on the surface it’s not a good movie but if you’re looking for a cheesy time that knows it’s a cheesy movie it delivers.

• Jun 25, 2020

So I do like to get a random film in every now and again. This one happens to be a film that came out recently, I don't think it got a theatrical release but it was fun and entertaining none the less. The film is called VFW and it stars a fantastic cast of some of our older and favorite actors. Stephen Lang (Avatar, Into the Badlands) plays Fred Parras the Bartender and owner of the local VFW (Veterans of Foreign Wars). William Sadler (Die Hard 2, Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey) plays one of his platoon mates Walter Reed, Fred Williamson (Inglorious Bastards (the original), From Dusk Til Dawn) plays another of his platoon Abe Hawkins, I actually know Fred he is a great guy and fantastic actor. Martin Kove (Karate Kid, Cobra Kai) plays Fred's closest friend Lou Clayton from Vietnam, and finally David Patrick Kelley (The Warriors, The Crow, John Wick) plays Doug McCarthy another close friend of Fred's. We also get a nice guest appearance from George Wendt (Cheers, The George Wendt Show) he plays one of their fellow VFW friends. I'm going to jump right into it I thoroughly enjoyed this film, it had everything that an old timer action film needs. Blood, Gore, Action, Catchy One Liners you don't want to forget and a pretty decent story for what it is. It was Directed by new film maker Joe Begos (Bliss, Almost Human) and overall I think he did a great job with it. The film opens with a drug Lord, Boz played by Travis Hammer (Independence Day: Resurgence, The Last Ship) at his base of operation with a bunch of junkies that have pretty much become his Zombie Pets. They aren't actual zombies but they will do whatever it takes to get their next fix of the drug he produces and sells. So Boz is given some information by his little brother that makes him wonder just how far he can go, so he calls out a junkie Lucy and teases her with the drugs. He then decides to throw them over the balcony, then she then proceeds to throw herself over and SPLAT she dies. After this happens Lucy's sister Lizard finds out and decides to steal the rest of Bozs supply and go on the run. Lizard is being chased by Bozs gang when she decides to take cover in the VFW across the street, she gets inside and manages to hide the drugs in the toilet. The guys are gathered around drinking and telling stories to this younger soldier that has shown up back from the war, when Bozs goons break in and attack them all. These goons are so drugged up that they are very Zombie like which I thought was a nice edition to the film, the effects and gore are fantastic and the acting is on point. Basically what it comes down to is a group of old timer war veterans getting held up in their VFW, protecting this girl from a drug dealer that wants her dead. I really enjoyed watching this, it had plenty of action and one liners, also I always love Fred's work as well as Lang's. It's a a wild ride of a film, sort of B status but still good fun. I'd give this film a solid 9 out of 10 as far as an entertainment rating, and if you haven't seen it then I highly recommend the watch, you can find it streaming on the Hoopla service or rent/buy it on Amazon Prime Video, Apple TV, VUDU or Fandango.

• Jun 12, 2020

Absolute garbage, terrible acting and I have no idea what the story was. Wasted nearly an hour of my life on this absolutely horrendous bad film. Please don't do the same

• Jun 12, 2020

It's like the Expendables for old character actors. Such a kick-ass siege film throwback. It's a lot more bloody than the likes of Rio Bravo or Assault On Precinct 13, but it's a blast and the camaraderie between the old guys feels real and is engaging to watch. This is a great Grindhouse movie. Probably the best from Begos yet.

• Jun 10, 2020

This film could be viewed in two different spotlights. If you're looking at it from the point of "was it a good movie?", no, it's not. Terrible acting (especially during the fighting scenes), no storyline and worst of all the special effects- note, they weren't very special. All culminating in one of the worst films I have ever seen. However. You could also view this film as the "Kill Bill" type of cheap graphic horror who's objective is not to be a good film but just a funny watch. Personally, even looking through this lens, it's still awful. But I can understand how people would find it entertaining like the "Final Destination" series of films. So, to sum up: if you're looking for a film to drink to every time a person dies, go for it. If you're looking for a good film, stay far far away.

• Jun 09, 2020

VFW was almost ruined by the really irritating synthesized sound track that rarely let up. The basic plot was well supported by a good cast that only occasionally were allowed to shine while the blood fest was allowed to overshadow any deeper exploration of old veterans making a stand against something that was against their moral code. It felt like an opportunity was lost quite easily in favour of dumbing the story down to; girl killed because of drugs, sister steals drugs and runs into veteran's bar, baddie comes after to get drugs unleashing crazed horde of drug users who are subsequently killed in ever more bloody ways and so on... did none of these people have a cell phone to call the cops? When the power went out and they turned on the generator, could they not find the bar phone? With all the alcohol in the bar, did none of them think about making some Molotov Cocktails? A shame really as the premise had promise that was sadly not realised.

• Jun 09, 2020

It's no wonder the cast photos can't be seen, who'd want to be associated with this. Mad Max meets Escape To New York meets Precinct 13, but with no budget, at all. Way too much improv for my liking, so barely any lines have been chewed over. "Original Music by Stephen Moore" ?! I hope Carpenters lawyers haven't had the chance to testify to that !

• Jun 02, 2020

Joe Begos, whose debut film was, at least for me, one of the last year's highlights, returns with this 80s action film homage and while this isn't as intense as "Bliss" was, it's still a solid piece of film-making that cements his reputation as a reliable and exciting new director.

• May 16, 2020

This was GREAT! Any John Carpenter fan would agree

This was GREAT! Any John Carpenter fan would agree

• May 09, 2020

A superfluous amount of exploitation gore and if you're looking for that, this is probably your thing. I do enjoy that stuff but I kinda wish it reveled more in the absurd nature of it. Instead it feels as serious as a Rambo movie which ultimately becomes pretty dull.