Victor Victoria Reviews

Aldo G Super Reviewer
    Oct 23, 2020

This gender-bending film is the last great Blake Edwards film before he submitted to a bunch of bland comedies including a string of rehash Pink Panther films that just replayed old, stale laughs. Victor Victoria, though, was fresh for its time and offers great performances by the entire cast especially Robert Preston, James Garner and Julie Andrews.

• Jul 14, 2020

I didn't find it remotely entertaining.

I didn't find it remotely entertaining.

• Apr 17, 2020

Hilarious while also discussing ideas of gender and sexuality.

Hilarious while also discussing ideas of gender and sexuality.

• Sep 03, 2019

This is a slow paced farce with a very hard to believe premise. Julie Andrews never remotely resembles a man. The songs are dull despite having a stellar composer. The show numbers don't really add anything to the movie. I was expecting at least a clever plot but practically nothing ever happens outside of the panics in restaurants and nightclubs. The scenes stolen from classic farce movies play out so slowly like they are at half speed. The reason for the popularity of this movie are puzzling. I think it threw a bone to a community starved for attention.

• Mar 04, 2019

I love Julie Andrews, but this is too much! You would have to be mentally impaired to believe that Andrews was man. It doesn't work. Neither does the music or what is described as dance routines. This is a boring mess which does little to break any image Ms. Andrews had developed. Short-term, for a decade, maybe it did. But this is not risque material. It is quite mild, G-rated stuff you could take your children to. No one would sit through it though.

• Oct 30, 2018

The best line I have ever heard about this movie was from TCM's Robert Osbourne "If you have seen this movie, enjoy. If it's your first time you are in for a real treat"

• Sep 12, 2018

Victor/Victoria is a musical treat mostly because Julie Andrews is a showstopper every single time she sings. The only problem with her songs in this film is that she is so good it seems illogical for her to have any trouble getting a job singing. Her performance through the entire film is a delight, and I was impressed with how she played the male side of the role. At first I thought it was going to be a farce that someone could believe her as a man, but as the film progressed I could see it. Robert Preston, on the other hand, is not exactly the greatest. He adds some good comedic moments to the film and I usually like him as an actor, but believing that he would be the headliner of a club was almost more far-fetched than Julie Andrews being turned down for the job. Maybe I was just judging him more harshly for that atrocious wig he wears throughout the movie. The rest of the cast was great, including a hilarious performance from Lesley Ann Warren that is so over-the-top it was off the charts. I find the general conceit of Victor/Victoria to be somewhat enjoyable. They certainly try to get as much mileage out of the fact that the movie is about a woman pretending to be a man who pretends to be a woman. After a while the joke gets a bit stale, though. They try to shift the basis of the comedy by having a man who is forced to pretend to be gay in order to be with the woman he loves, but I was losing interest a little during this time. The better point of contention was when he was questioning her gender and what that might mean about his sexuality. Once they resolved that aspect, the movie lost some of the magic. It picked back up at the end, but I wish they were able to hold onto the initial conflict longer. I could feel Blake Edwards’ handiwork in the script and directing, particularly in the scenes where people were hiding in someone else’s home. As a fan of Blake Edwards, this is always a good thing. So there were elements of magic in Victor/Victoria, and I would watch it again any time just to hear those wonderful songs from Julie Andrews, but it’s not one of my favorite musicals.

• Dec 17, 2017

Very insightful in its social commentary but never forgetting to be funny and it truly is hilarious, Victor/Victoria also has fittingly retro, solid soundtrack and it thus succeeds as a phenomenal musical comedy set in wonderful 1930s. The casting is pretty bad, but still everyone did a great job - Lesley Ann Warren is hilarious, James Garner is charming, Robert Preston is likable and Julie Andrews steals the show in a powerhouse performance playing wonderful, elegant and charming Victoria. The movie fires on all cylinders and I've had a blast watching it.

• Oct 17, 2017

Probably my favorite film of all time since it was released.

Probably my favorite film of all time since it was released.

• Jun 06, 2017

i loved this gender bender film from being a child it deserves to be more well none