Video Games: The Movie Reviews

• Apr 19, 2019

too bad so many top critics don't get it: obviously they are not gamers. This feature length documentary is far from perfect and moving back and forth across the timeline for switching stories and perspective can be confusing at times, nonetheless it is a solid effort and recommended to understand a bit more about this fascinating world.

• Jul 15, 2018

Whoa RT. This is our first disagreement. This movie is fucking amazing. WTF? I've seen it 20+ times.

• Jul 24, 2017

3 out of 5 stars. Cool look at the history of video games!

3 out of 5 stars. Cool look at the history of video games!

• Apr 23, 2017

Interesting but confusingly jumps back and forth between time periods with little clear theme.

• Dec 04, 2016

Yes, this movie may come across to some as nothing but a commercial for the video game industry but even though it doesn't get into a lot of conflict and deep ito the subculture it has something to offer. For the non-gamer or the average person who casually has played some games, it offers a glimpse into why gaming is so popular and shows how we got where we are. The interviews with the Godfathers of gaming make it feel personal and real. Sean Astin does a great job narrating. It's a fun even though simple look at gaming's history.

• Sep 16, 2016

Video Games: The Movie(2014) Starring: Sean Austin, Wil Wheaton, Zach Braff, Alison Haislip, Donald Faison, Chloe Dykstra, Chris Hardwick, Clare Grant, Nolan Bushnell, Jim Brown Directed By:Jeremy Snead Review To watch a documentary you have to love or enjoy the topic. I am a gamer I love playing video games, I'm more for movies yes but I do enjoy a good game every once in a while. I own an XBOX 360 soon to be XBOX ONE and a Nintendo WII. But for some reason I did not find this documentary all that enjoyable. Narrated by Sean Astin and featuring in-depth interviews with the godfathers who started it all, the icons of game design, and the geek gurus who are leading us into the future, "Video Games: The Movie" is a celebration of gaming from Atari to Xbox and an eye-opening look at what lies ahead. The documentary should have been something special but it comes as an excuse to be an informative book of something you could have read online about the history about virtual technology and video games. I wasn't too big on the documentary for this, but it is great to see the images of the nostalgic games of the past and the great ones of the present. I did enjoy however the the talks about gaming of the future and where it's going, innovative talk like that always is something I like to hear. I don't review a lot of documentaries so I can't necessarily say if all the elements of a good documentary is present, but I give Video Games: The Movie a two out of five.

• Aug 30, 2016

A good overview, but doesn't provide anything overly compelling or new about the industry.

• Jun 10, 2016

It was fun to watch but too short to actually learn something. This could probably be better as a 3 or 4 part series to fully go through the 30 plus years of gaming.

• Jan 09, 2016

This movie doesn't really cover much or have much of a point at all. It also loses a lot of credibility by putting an idiot like Wil Wheaton in it. It still has a few interesting moments, but ultimately, no one has anything important to say, and no one seemed to care about talking about it. Especially Wil Wheaton...what a putz!

• Dec 05, 2015

See this if you are a gamer then you can appreciate the art. pixels, beeps, bloops and game over screen better than most.