A View to a Kill - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A View to a Kill Reviews

January 4, 2017
150516: 14th Bond Film. This film seems so dated now. Except for the final battle on the Bay Bridge, I found the special effects pretty bad as well. I have just never been a big fan of the James Bond films. I am going to see this series through just so I can try the more modern ones. Perhaps my opinion will change.
½ December 11, 2016
Probably the most distracting thing about this movie is Roger Moore's here. The story is a bit of a Goldfinger rip-off in terms of plot but the action is mostly good, the villain excellent, as is bonds sidekick in the first half of the movie. The whole thing is well paced, has a great finale but John Glen's direction is a bit pedestrian. There are some dreadfully obvious stuntmen seen either in bad wigs or full face to the camera too which could easily have been dealt with. Nevertheless, it's a decent movie with a great title song so its gets 3 and a half stars from me.
½ December 1, 2016
Second rate Bond effort has the secret agent foiling a mad industrialist with plans to trigger an earthquake to destroy Silicon Valley. Moore's run feels like it had run its course and it was his last turn as Bond. Title song by Duran Duran was one of the few Bond series songs that remains worth listening to.
November 25, 2016
I don't know why so many don't like this. Its very funny, action-packed, a great performance from Christopher Walken
½ November 19, 2016
A View to a Kill is shot down by bad acting, preposterous plotting and not-so-great action sequences.
November 5, 2016
10/30/2016: Meh. A decent opening action sequence, but pretty boring the rest of the way.
½ October 31, 2016
WHAT I LIKED: Like it's predecessor, 'A View to a Kill' has a build-up that largely works thanks to a great villain and high-stakes plot, not to mention a more 'on' than 'off' performance from Moore.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: It does begin to get extremely over the top, cringey and unbearable half way through. In fact, by the end, it feels like more of a mindless action flick than a good Bond movie.
VERDICT: It may be gripping to start, but it gets truly ridiculous. Roger Moore goes out with more of a physical bang than a good one.
October 29, 2016
The theme and accompanying score is great and the two villains are memorable but the most obvious criticism is that Roger Moore, near 60, was not the right choice for Bond this time around. With doubles doing all of Moore's actions and the uncomfortable bedding of 4 different women half his age, it's a particularly embarrassing and routine Bond outing.
½ September 21, 2016
The James Bond films have always been a fascinating snap shot of the time and places they are made. 1985's A View To A Kill had no choice but to be ridiculous. It's mindless escapism at it's finest.

Duran Duran did the theme song. Christopher Walken is the villain. Grace Jones is his muscle. These are the ingredients of A View To A Kill. What could you expect, Schindler's List?

The James Bond formula doesn't depend on the drama of whether or not he'll survive to end, but rather the exotic locations the mission takes him to, the gadgets that fire up the imagination of the child in every adult male, the silly named henchmen standing in his way (this time around it's Grace Jones's May Day) and the one liners.

Oh, don't forget the Bond girls. Those are the details that set each film apart. That's why you watch the next Bond film knowing full well 007 is gonna make it with a broad as the credits roll.

A View To A Kill might just be the most over the top Bond film. It's certainly how Roger Moore should've taken his final bow seeing so his rendition of 007 was the most over the top. We also say goodbye to the wonderful Lois Maxwell who played Moneypenny for the last time.

This film was truly the end of an era. Roger held down the fort longer than any other Bond. To many 70s kids, he was the guy. Sure, it's preposterous and overlong, but for better or worse, A View To A Kill sums up the Roger Moore James Bond experience perfectly.
½ September 7, 2016
For me the worst of the Bond movies. Moore is now way past the age of a super spy. The hard thing about it was Walken played a pretty good villain. Wasted his talent with this one. Would have been a good one for Dalton to have started on. But it is just a what if.
½ September 3, 2016
A View to a Kill is the 14th film in the James Bond series and a very solid one at that. Though Roger Moore has aged significantly since his first time playing 007, his performance as the suave James Bond is spot-on, as is Christopher Walken's as the sadistic Max Zorin. The action is very well done and the music is spectacular. It's a thrilling endeavor from beginning to end.
½ August 11, 2016
Even more preposterous, even more camp, A View to a Kill may lack the originality and thrills that launched the franchise into greatness, however still is above all else entertaining. What I consider the final 'silly' Bond movie... excluding Die Another Day.
½ July 31, 2016
55 out of 100. Has its moments but is overall, boring
½ July 31, 2016
Undoubtedly one of the best bond films ever made in my eyes. It sees Roger Moore's reign end on a high and arguably signalled the end of a successful era following Moore and Connery's stints as the seemingly invincible spy. With a crazy yet lovable villain in Zorin, a unique Bond girl in Mayday, and with all the other trimmings that signal classic 007 such as Moneypenny and Q, this really does live long in memory. The storyline is perhaps not the easiest to follow with its IT related microchip concept but when there's the level of amusement and action that this has, who's going to quibble over such small matters as that?! With picturesque stunts involving the Eiffel Tower and Golden Gate Bridge, this really does provide the views for a kill and the only floor I can find is the annoying contribution of the other (wetter) Bond girl Stacey Sutton. Literally her only lines are to mutter the words 'James' in either a moment of passion, or when she's gotten into another stupid near death experience. She actually sounds like she's losing her voice by the end of it. Still I feel she provides the ever present need for the eye candy, making up for the unique Grace Jones who is certainly not the usual style. There really is an abundance of talent and memorable moments in this, making it a constant source of conversation when debating classic movie moments with family and friends. What's more is that the innuendos are also still rife, with my personal favourite spoken by Jenny Flex as she relates her passion for an early morning ride to Bond's self proclaimed trait of being an early riser. It's all just pure genius.
July 27, 2016
2 out of 10:

A View to a Kill has so many bad jokes and humor. And plus, the action has no excitement what so ever. This has gotta be the worst Bond so far. Hopefully the next one will improve.
July 24, 2016
So bad it's kinda good. I always laugh at the fact that the people behind this Bond film actually took it seriously when making it. Little did they know the horrible outcome it would have.
July 24, 2016
Farewell, Roger Moore. It's been fun. He is too old for the part in this one. Christopher Walken makes any movie better. The soundtrack is finally up to speed with how long I've been alive. Lot's of cool action on the Golden Gate Bridge, etc.
July 23, 2016
Another massively underrated Bond film, A View To A Kill is a more than adequate swan song for the best James Bond.
July 10, 2016
A fun send off of the Moore era
May 23, 2016
No doubt the worst Bond film out there.