A View to a Kill - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A View to a Kill Reviews

July 18, 2017
By far Roger Moore's worse Bond movie. Worse than Moonraker. The only thing this movie has going for it is Christopher Walken. If he's on screen I'm enjoying it but whenever he's off screen this movie sucks.
½ July 17, 2017
Grace Jones is interesting in A View to a Kill, but Tanya Roberts is just horrible and painful to listen to. The plot is silly and campy per usual for this series in the eighties and it is just such a mediocre affair that isn't the worst Bond entry, but it is one of the weaker ones.
June 26, 2017
It is to bad that Roger Moore had to go off with this movie. He was too old and is to comical. I did like the song though.

4.2/10
June 4, 2017
Moore's final film for the most part alternates between boring and ludicrous, it has the worst excesses of that era, but whereas before it worked because they played it seriously, whilst still having a knowing sense of fun, here it feels like the filmmakers are laughing at the series rather than with it. There are some good moments and Moore still takes it seriously enough to keep it from being the very worst of the series, but he can't stop it from all seeming rather uninspired.
May 28, 2017
...not the greatest swan song (because I thought he would be bond for good as a kid), but in retrospect, not nearly as bad as people claim. Too old at 57 to be Bond? Wasn't Harrison Ford in is late sixties when he made The fourth Indiana Jones film (and it was good, too).
May 24, 2017
Why Rog? Why?...When your tenure as Bond could have happily ended after a decade of service floating in that boat at the end of Octopussy as you..er got your end away WITH Octopussy, rogering her into the subcontinental sunset to the orgasmic sax groan of 'All Time High' but no, you had to spoil it. You had to keep using the lube after the expiry date! And so we have A View To A Kill. Not the worst Bond ever- well, that is if you like the idea of a 58 year old man having more sex than Woodstock and being adept at cooking Quiche Lorraine. With the one-off exception of 'For Your Eyes Only', the Bond films have reached the end of their use-by date slipping into self-parody. If only Cubby Broccoli could have kept that delicate balance that made The Spy Who Loved Me such a focused movie. Instead, the next Bond had to be bigger, better and so on. This capitalistic mentally could only get ludicrous before it got better. Hence, A View To A Kill. It's a movie not without merit. Christopher Walken plays the boyish villain Max Zorin whose psychotic predisposition is the direct result of an evil Nazi geneticist. Patrick Macnee is Lord Tibbet, Bond's valet servant and singer Grace Jones plays the very limbre and unconventional Mayday.There are some impressive stunts and the Eiffel Tower, streets of San Francisco and Paris all make great locations. Infact, Bond swinging from the mooring rope of a giant blimp approaching the Golden Gate Bridge to the soaring John Barry score, is without doubt one of the finest endings in the Roger Moore era. As a film though it's possibly worse than Sean Connery's last Bond stint 'Never Say Never Again'. It is atleast helped in some way by the rousing John Barry score which is one of his best. Kudos to Duran Duran for the envigorating title song but the Walter PPK clearly had to be handed down and a fresh approach was needed for the Bond series to move forward.
April 25, 2017
This is the 14th part to the first James Bound series. It is better then all the ones made before it. I do not know why people do not like it. It is a great film. Living daylights which is the 15th James bound movie is better.
½ April 9, 2017
The fourteenth James Bond film and the third of five directed by John Glen (For Your Eyes Only/Octopussy/The Living Daylights/License To Kill). This is also Roger Moore's last appearance as 007, looking really old and tired.

The plot is really a bad rehash of Connery's "Goldfinger". Millionaire industrialist Max Zorin (Christopher Walken, the best thing about this movie), is trying to corner the microchip industry by destroying Silicon Valley with a bomb set on a critical spot on the San Andreas Fault line. James Bond is sent in to thwart his attempt.

This, in my opinion is the worst James Bond film of them all. Horrible story, and really bad Bond women in Tanya Roberts (yawn!) and Grace Jones (gag!). It is a slap in the face to Roger Moore's legacy as 007 that he ends his reign with this film, and sleeps with Grace Jones!
March 20, 2017
Roger Moore's final outing as 007 not only shows how aged he was at the time and the film's sluggish pace and absurd plot don't help the matter either.
½ January 28, 2017
Christopher Walken makes for a great villain but even he can't distract us from a tired and burnt out performance by our leading man. A rather disappointing swansong for the Roger Moore era of Bond films.
January 4, 2017
150516: 14th Bond Film. This film seems so dated now. Except for the final battle on the Bay Bridge, I found the special effects pretty bad as well. I have just never been a big fan of the James Bond films. I am going to see this series through just so I can try the more modern ones. Perhaps my opinion will change.
½ December 11, 2016
Probably the most distracting thing about this movie is Roger Moore's here. The story is a bit of a Goldfinger rip-off in terms of plot but the action is mostly good, the villain excellent, as is bonds sidekick in the first half of the movie. The whole thing is well paced, has a great finale but John Glen's direction is a bit pedestrian. There are some dreadfully obvious stuntmen seen either in bad wigs or full face to the camera too which could easily have been dealt with. Nevertheless, it's a decent movie with a great title song so its gets 3 and a half stars from me.
½ December 1, 2016
Second rate Bond effort has the secret agent foiling a mad industrialist with plans to trigger an earthquake to destroy Silicon Valley. Moore's run feels like it had run its course and it was his last turn as Bond. Title song by Duran Duran was one of the few Bond series songs that remains worth listening to.
November 25, 2016
I don't know why so many don't like this. Its very funny, action-packed, a great performance from Christopher Walken
½ November 19, 2016
A View to a Kill is shot down by bad acting, preposterous plotting and not-so-great action sequences.
November 5, 2016
10/30/2016: Meh. A decent opening action sequence, but pretty boring the rest of the way.
½ October 31, 2016
WHAT I LIKED: Like it's predecessor, 'A View to a Kill' has a build-up that largely works thanks to a great villain and high-stakes plot, not to mention a more 'on' than 'off' performance from Moore.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: It does begin to get extremely over the top, cringey and unbearable half way through. In fact, by the end, it feels like more of a mindless action flick than a good Bond movie.
VERDICT: It may be gripping to start, but it gets truly ridiculous. Roger Moore goes out with more of a physical bang than a good one.
October 29, 2016
The theme and accompanying score is great and the two villains are memorable but the most obvious criticism is that Roger Moore, near 60, was not the right choice for Bond this time around. With doubles doing all of Moore's actions and the uncomfortable bedding of 4 different women half his age, it's a particularly embarrassing and routine Bond outing.
½ September 21, 2016
The James Bond films have always been a fascinating snap shot of the time and places they are made. 1985's A View To A Kill had no choice but to be ridiculous. It's mindless escapism at it's finest.

Duran Duran did the theme song. Christopher Walken is the villain. Grace Jones is his muscle. These are the ingredients of A View To A Kill. What could you expect, Schindler's List?

The James Bond formula doesn't depend on the drama of whether or not he'll survive to end, but rather the exotic locations the mission takes him to, the gadgets that fire up the imagination of the child in every adult male, the silly named henchmen standing in his way (this time around it's Grace Jones's May Day) and the one liners.

Oh, don't forget the Bond girls. Those are the details that set each film apart. That's why you watch the next Bond film knowing full well 007 is gonna make it with a broad as the credits roll.

A View To A Kill might just be the most over the top Bond film. It's certainly how Roger Moore should've taken his final bow seeing so his rendition of 007 was the most over the top. We also say goodbye to the wonderful Lois Maxwell who played Moneypenny for the last time.

This film was truly the end of an era. Roger held down the fort longer than any other Bond. To many 70s kids, he was the guy. Sure, it's preposterous and overlong, but for better or worse, A View To A Kill sums up the Roger Moore James Bond experience perfectly.
½ September 7, 2016
For me the worst of the Bond movies. Moore is now way past the age of a super spy. The hard thing about it was Walken played a pretty good villain. Wasted his talent with this one. Would have been a good one for Dalton to have started on. But it is just a what if.