The Village - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Village Reviews

July 23, 2016
Time is going to tell with this movie. I love it. I think it's well done. There's at least some thought put into it.
July 21, 2016
The Village is a solid horror flick directed by M Night Shyamalan, filled with good acting and the distinct Shyamalan tone that is mysterious and a little creepy. I really enjoyed this one, and I think it got its bad reception because it was marketed only as a horror film when it is also a love story. I was very interested in the relationship between the two leads, and I actually enjoyed the ending. It just gets a little slow, and a little preposterous at times. In the end, no matter how underused Jessie Eisenberg was, The Village is a good time
½ July 20, 2016
Adrian Brody's performance reminded me of Leo DiCaprio's in "What's Eating Gilbert Grape." Seriously, they deserve awards for their portrayals, as I can't imagine how difficult it would be to act as a special needs person.
July 16, 2016
The Village is suspenseful, although a bit odd and a bit slow.

In the end, motives become clear and loose ends are tied. I just wish it had moved a little faster in certain areas, condensed to fit into a slightly shorter timeframe.

It's an interesting and creative concept, which is something I've come to expect from director M. Night Shyamalan. He tends to think outside the box.
½ July 1, 2016
The Village, Count Me In!

The Village, Has More PlotHoles Than Lady In The Water, But Lady in the water was DVD watch, This had 10!
If I ever see one more awful film of M. Night Shyamalan's... he should really stop making movies.

Grade: C-
June 10, 2016
This really isn't a bad movie at all when you watch it for what it is: A mixture of drama, romance and suspense with a heavy emphasis on the romance. But we don't get a sappy romance here--the lead female character is quite smart and strong despite being blind. The movie is also creepy, just not the terrifying horror story it was marketed as. It's more of a thought-provoking look at human nature, grief, death, tragedy fear, and love, and how we cannot escape these things no matter what we do.

In addition, this film has one of the most stunning soundtracks I have ever heard: beautiful and haunting all at once.
June 8, 2016
Thoughtful, atmospheric if somewhat flawed film. Talk about getting away from it all.
June 5, 2016
As people keep saying, The Village was let down by its ending because it was promoted as a horror film. Ignore this and you do have a very creepy, mysterious movie, well acted and well shot. It is a decent film but doesn't really pull it off at the end.
½ May 19, 2016
This is one the worst movies I've seen ever. Don't waste your time watching it. It's more exciting to watch water boil. The twist is the dumbest thing. Can't believe I paid to watch this in the theatre.
½ May 17, 2016
a bit weird but good
May 17, 2016
What started off as a scary movie turned out to be even scarier. Maybe not as you would expect, but the final act is very thought provoking. Man's good intentions can quickly run a stray, and this movie will lead you to question more than you ever thought. That is, if you can follow the underlying message. Outstanding story!
½ April 25, 2016
Nope, not creepy, just stupid.
Positives: Joaquin Phoenix, Sigourney Weaver.
Negatives: Shyamalan's signature disappointing ending.
½ April 17, 2016
This movie was terrible to say the least, and the twist in the end made the movie even worse. very boring, not much to talk about. When we went to see this in theaters literally half the people leaving the movie were talking to each other asking "what the hell was that"
½ April 7, 2016
Rating: 47%
Though the premise is pretty respectable, The Village executes it in such a way that it robs the film of the frights and thrills that should've and would've been there if it weren't for an unimaginative script.
March 27, 2016
It's definitely an original idea and an original film. When I first saw the plot twist it made the film more realistic, but when you think about it more and more it starts to make no sense at all. Sometimes I had trouble understanding the medieval dialog of this movie. Most of the time the movie bored me.
½ March 26, 2016
One shouldn't kick a man when he's down, or so we are told but Shyamalan had a good idea with The Village but lost the plot in production. For a start the villagers don't go into the 'towns' because they are evil yet they burn kerosene like it's going out of style and they are never short of candles either. As the saying goes "the devil's in the detail". Where do they get kerosene and candles? nd a foot mote 'The Village' should be available in blu ray. There are worse films available in HD.
March 23, 2016
It's hard to pick a most bizarre M. Night Shyamalan film, but The Village might just take the cake. Fortunately, it came at a time before Shyamalan had gone too bonkers, and the film overall is actually not bad. Shyamalan manages to keep an air of mystery around the inner workings of the village, up until a signature Shyamalan twist that, while absurd in many ways, is strangely fascinating. The Village features an impressive ensemble cast, including the likes of Joaquin Phoenix, Adrien Brody, Sigourney Weaver, and William Hurt, and they all are pretty good overall. The real standout is a breakthrough performance from Bryce Dallas Howard, who eventually carries the film on her shoulders with a strong performance. It's the production value that really gives the film an extra boost though; the costume design, production design, and Oscar nominated score from James Newton Howard are all beautiful, and fit the film seamlessly. It's not the best Shyamalan film, but it's also not one of his worst. If you can prepare yourself for the imminent twist, you might just find something to enjoy from this one.
½ March 22, 2016
The film has some strong performances from its rather impressive cast. The story wears thin nearing the end, though. And I may not have expected the ending, but it is rather weak. The Village isn't Shyamalan's best, but far from his worst. I'd argue that The Village is at least superior to his previous effort Signs.
February 19, 2016
Good acting by great actors
½ February 16, 2016
One of the most underrated and misunderstood films in recent memory. Though far from perfect, it's beautiful to hear and behold and has a touch of magic sorely lacking in storytelling today. It plays like an Irving story in all the best ways.