The Village - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Village Reviews

½ May 18, 2018
Acting was unconvincing at many, many times. Wayyy too much exposition for my taste. was a good scenario, but Shyamalan just about ruined it. it's an ok movie if you don't mind sigourney weaver's apathetic face and waiting 30 minutes for something to happen.
April 22, 2018
It caught my eyes at first, I was intrigued by what was they were afraid of but later, I was like WTF?! IT WAS HORRIBLE. I wonder how upset those people who purchased the ticket to go watch this movie lolololol
April 20, 2018
hi i loved it yayyyyyyyyyyyy
April 8, 2018
Best movie ever!????
½ April 4, 2018
It represents an earnest attempt for Shyamalan to branch out to other settings, and it's really effective at it with an interesting plot, eerie aesthetics and a beautiful score, but it also shows how his dialogue-writing and twist-conjuring started slipping.
½ April 1, 2018
A very beautiful and emotionally driven film, unique and original in every facet, and a highly underrated one at that. If youre looking for a horror monster movie you will not find it in the Village, and thats the main reason people didnt like it, it didnt deliver what they wanted. That aside, the movie is still very well made and enjoyable.
March 21, 2018
The Village is a good film up until M. Night Shyamalan tries to impress. Then everything goes horribly wrong, and not in good way. At the end of the day, the movie is less than a suspense - horror and more of a strange documentary about a bad decision made by a strange family.
½ February 24, 2018
I paid for 2 coworkers to come and see it with me in theater when it came out. Cost them nothing. After the movie ended they were both PISSED at me. That's how bad this movie is.
½ February 22, 2018
An extremely original and artful film. The cinamatography, though feeling cheap sometimes, is overall gorgeous. The story and characters are wonderful, if you're not expecting shocking horror and twists as the trailer implied (though there are plenty of twists, though they are more centric on telling a good story than shock value). Many of the actors fall short, but those in important roles deliver for the most part, especially the lead actress. A film that I at least only enjoyed more on subsequent watches.
February 16, 2018
Not the best movie ever but far from the worst. Watch "The toxic crusader" or "Sharktopus" and get back to me with your opinion. Intriguing story that makes you think. Wow, yeah, a movie that makes you think. Maybe that's why some people don't like it. Good cast, not extensively long and very well written storyline with a twist. If you're into movies without a point, look elsewhere. Not much more to say, watch it with an open mind and a semblance of intrigue for thought and you'll enjoy.
February 3, 2018
Good movie. People tend to hate because the trailer is misleading. The movie by itself is a good movie. Not M. Night best work, but not the worst. I'll recommend the movie but try to avoid the trailer.
½ February 3, 2018
Full of awkwardly unnecessary shots and confusing dialogue, this film by M. Night Shyamalan provides plenty of scares and creeps for horror enthusiasts, though a nonsensical twist eliminates much of what the film had built up to until that point.
January 17, 2018
Atmospheric and full of intrigue, The Village is a suspense thriller from M. Night Shyamalan. The story follows a small, agrarian village that lives in peace with mysterious creatures that inhabit the woods that surround it, until a rebellious young man ventures too far into the woods, breaking the long-held truce between the village and the creatures. Starring Joaquin Phoenix, Bryce Dallas Howard, William Hurt, Sigourney Weaver, and Adrien Brody, the film has quite an impressive cast. Howard in particular is especially good; giving a remarkably compelling performance. And the writing does a good job at teasing out the mystery of the creatures and the village. But (because it's Shyamalan) a twist is expected from the start, and it ends up being a fairly predictable and underwhelming one. He even tries for a double twist that doesn't work at all. Yet despite its weak twist, The Village has an interesting message about violence and the pursuit of innocents and hope.
January 2, 2018
one of my favorite movies (Top 10). I find it mind blowing that this movie has a 50/50 split in love/hate the movie. - watch it again... (PUT THAT ELECTRONIC DEVICE DOWN!!!)
½ December 15, 2017
well made movie. a little slow but still very interesting with a great story. mismarketed as a horror film, this period piece drama is very original and different. lots of unique and memorable shots (about 2 viewings)
November 27, 2017
loved the movie don't just look for the twist
November 18, 2017
i thought it was pretty entertaining
½ November 2, 2017
The Village: A creepy and original thriller.
October 29, 2017
I didn't hate this movie, I just thought it wasn't that good. The suspense wasn't there and the story's conclusion was a cop out.
½ October 22, 2017
This has incredible acting, believable relationships, mystery, etc. Did these same critics praise The Visit?
I can watch The Village over again. More than can be said for most of M. Night's attempts.