The Village - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Village Reviews

January 17, 2018
Atmospheric and full of intrigue, The Village is a suspense thriller from M. Night Shyamalan. The story follows a small, agrarian village that lives in peace with mysterious creatures that inhabit the woods that surround it, until a rebellious young man ventures too far into the woods, breaking the long-held truce between the village and the creatures. Starring Joaquin Phoenix, Bryce Dallas Howard, William Hurt, Sigourney Weaver, and Adrien Brody, the film has quite an impressive cast. Howard in particular is especially good; giving a remarkably compelling performance. And the writing does a good job at teasing out the mystery of the creatures and the village. But (because it's Shyamalan) a twist is expected from the start, and it ends up being a fairly predictable and underwhelming one. He even tries for a double twist that doesn't work at all. Yet despite its weak twist, The Village has an interesting message about violence and the pursuit of innocents and hope.
January 2, 2018
one of my favorite movies (Top 10). I find it mind blowing that this movie has a 50/50 split in love/hate the movie. - watch it again... (PUT THAT ELECTRONIC DEVICE DOWN!!!)
½ December 15, 2017
well made movie. a little slow but still very interesting with a great story. mismarketed as a horror film, this period piece drama is very original and different. lots of unique and memorable shots (about 2 viewings)
November 27, 2017
loved the movie don't just look for the twist
November 18, 2017
i thought it was pretty entertaining
½ November 2, 2017
The Village: A creepy and original thriller.
October 29, 2017
I didn't hate this movie, I just thought it wasn't that good. The suspense wasn't there and the story's conclusion was a cop out.
½ October 22, 2017
This has incredible acting, believable relationships, mystery, etc. Did these same critics praise The Visit?
I can watch The Village over again. More than can be said for most of M. Night's attempts.
October 16, 2017
Saw in the theater, I have to say this is m. Night shamilan if that is spelled correctly worst piece of shit this man has ever made. Whoever gave him 57% is just absolutely incorrect or just bad judgement to movies since roger Ebert. For that my message to the audience GO FUCK YOURSELVES.
October 11, 2017
There's some intrigue and human drama here, but everything promising about this would-be parable is washed away by a poorly-executed twist and a unsuitably upbeat ending.
September 26, 2017
viewed on 7/8/04 (Sat)

Have to be very very careful not to give away any spoilers. Don't don't give away the ending. I mean it is so so so head-spinning that no one wants to be the first party pooper.

I say this is the best way to counter-attack piracy. Draws the audience back into the theatres and guarantee them that they will be given a big secret to keep from the rest of the town.

All I can say are loopholes are inevitable and the story a little far-fetched but I have to take my hat off M. Night Shyamalan. He is comparable to Alfred Hitchcock and Wes Craven. Maestros of suspense.

Yup, no more comments from me. And I think film critics should be as brief too. With audience getting smarter, they cannot afford to say too much.

Rating: B+
Expected Rating: B+
September 19, 2017
Good flick.Fresh and thrilling. Probably underrated because it followed three better hits from Shyamalan.
September 8, 2017
My Favorite Teacher Ms. Sindelar Did See This When It Came Out.
August 29, 2017
Original and worth a watch.
½ August 1, 2017
A strange film which works on several levels, but (as is admitted in the making of bonus material) changes direction and never quite finished the first bit nor properly fills out the second bit. There's even a third bit which is introduced but not pursued at all.

A stellar cast & crew which might have garnered more awards with this film.
July 30, 2017
Would have benefited from having a gay cowboy or biker
½ July 12, 2017
The Village has a great cast and a good setting to make it rise above the mediocrity of everyday cinema. It's emotional and well constructed for the most part, but does the conclusion really justify all that suspense it builds?
June 24, 2017
Such a disappointment. Terrible boring stupid movie.
½ June 9, 2017
Although my sister likes this movie, I personally found it loathsome. And this is when M. Night Shyamalan started going down the path of making terrible and predictable plot-twist thrillers and why he's now looked down upon by popular media.
May 4, 2017
It's not a bad movie, but it's not a very good movie either. The main problem is that it is too slow. The film was effective in creating a creepy and mysterious atmosphere, but nothing really happens and there are no real surprises. (First viewing - Summer 2004 in theaters)