The Village - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Village Reviews

February 18, 2017
The Village benefits from a good premise and cast, but it doesn't quite compare to Shyamalan's previous films or twists.
February 1, 2017
This is a beautiful looking movie, the whole cast is very good and the score by James Newton Howard is gorgeous.
Like all of Shyamalan's movies, it is very slow burn.
The first half is very good, until the first twist, which ruins the rest of the movie and would have been much more effective later on in the movie.
This was his weakest movie, at the time of it's release.
January 30, 2017
viewed on 7/8/04 (Sat)

Have to be very very careful not to give away any spoilers. Don't don't give away the ending. I mean it is so so so head-spinning that no one wants to be the first party pooper.

I say this is the best way to counter-attack piracy. Draws the audience back into the theatres and guarantee them that they will be given a big secret to keep from the rest of the town.

All I can say are loopholes are inevitable and the story a little far-fetched but I have to take my hat off M. Night Shyamalan. He is comparable to Alfred Hitchcock and Wes Craven. Maestros of suspense.

Yup, no more comments from me. And I think film critics should be as brief too. With audience getting smarter, they cannot afford to say too much.

Rating: B+
Expected Rating: B+
January 29, 2017
Smart and clever movie with a great twist!
January 28, 2017
Very underrated film. It was excellent throughout and Shyamalan, as usual, is great with the ending. I don't care what anyone says about the ending, they did NOT predict it.
½ January 27, 2017
How could anyone but Shyamalan think this up? A masterful tale of suspense and isolation.
½ January 17, 2017
was actually a good movie
½ January 14, 2017
Boring and Pointless
½ December 31, 2016
Worst movie ever created by man.
December 25, 2016
The film is driven by its central mystery and interesting technical craft but as the film meanders on, the weight of the story (and its twist) feels more and more unsatisfying.
Grade: C+
½ December 25, 2016
A mystery-driven allegory that will disappoint those expecting the frightening movie the trailer wants to sell, but those more open-minded may find an interesting film with an evocative cinematography, even if the main twist (two, in fact) doesn't carry the same impact as Shyamalan's previous films.
December 9, 2016
I liked it the first time, the twist was odd. If you watch it later, years later you appreciate it much more.
December 3, 2016
The Village may be disappointing in some regards but it's twist exposes interesting social ideas and fixes itself on the problem of human nature.
½ November 29, 2016
The Village is one of Shyamalan's more misunderstood films that demands your patience with his singular style of filmmaking.
½ November 6, 2016
An epic (epitome) how typical asinine US cults psychosis exists, though the story obstinate. Hope the director had some inspiration from the Texas cults which FBI busted lately.
October 21, 2016
I completely loved this Movie! It had the BEST ending ever!
October 2, 2016
The best movie of M. Night Shyamalan!
August 27, 2016
Movies are made to make us forget about reality, and conjure up Somthing that makes us forget about it. Many critics on here will say that the plot twist at the end is terrible and unconfortable, and makes them hate the movie. But if you keep an open mind to this film towards the end as well the theme of it, you will find that this movie is absolutely beautiful. The acting is extremely flawless, the soundtrack is my favorite out of all the movies I've ever seen, and the plot provides a breath taking vibe.
½ August 2, 2016
The Village is reasonably creepy and has a good setup, then Shyamalan's signature twist is revealed. The audience then calmly says, "oh, that makes sense" and realizes they might as well go home. Overall a promising film that fails to deliver in the end.
½ July 31, 2016
The second we find out its modern day and they have been living inside a national park, my brain told myself to punch me in the face as hard and as many times as I could for going to see this movie.