The Village - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Village Reviews

March 21, 2018
The Village is a good film up until M. Night Shyamalan tries to impress. Then everything goes horribly wrong, and not in good way. At the end of the day, the movie is less than a suspense - horror and more of a strange documentary about a bad decision made by a strange family.
½ February 24, 2018
I paid for 2 coworkers to come and see it with me in theater when it came out. Cost them nothing. After the movie ended they were both PISSED at me. That's how bad this movie is.
½ February 22, 2018
An extremely original and artful film. The cinamatography, though feeling cheap sometimes, is overall gorgeous. The story and characters are wonderful, if you're not expecting shocking horror and twists as the trailer implied (though there are plenty of twists, though they are more centric on telling a good story than shock value). Many of the actors fall short, but those in important roles deliver for the most part, especially the lead actress. A film that I at least only enjoyed more on subsequent watches.
February 16, 2018
Not the best movie ever but far from the worst. Watch "The toxic crusader" or "Sharktopus" and get back to me with your opinion. Intriguing story that makes you think. Wow, yeah, a movie that makes you think. Maybe that's why some people don't like it. Good cast, not extensively long and very well written storyline with a twist. If you're into movies without a point, look elsewhere. Not much more to say, watch it with an open mind and a semblance of intrigue for thought and you'll enjoy.
February 3, 2018
Good movie. People tend to hate because the trailer is misleading. The movie by itself is a good movie. Not M. Night best work, but not the worst. I'll recommend the movie but try to avoid the trailer.
½ February 3, 2018
Full of awkwardly unnecessary shots and confusing dialogue, this film by M. Night Shyamalan provides plenty of scares and creeps for horror enthusiasts, though a nonsensical twist eliminates much of what the film had built up to until that point.
January 17, 2018
Atmospheric and full of intrigue, The Village is a suspense thriller from M. Night Shyamalan. The story follows a small, agrarian village that lives in peace with mysterious creatures that inhabit the woods that surround it, until a rebellious young man ventures too far into the woods, breaking the long-held truce between the village and the creatures. Starring Joaquin Phoenix, Bryce Dallas Howard, William Hurt, Sigourney Weaver, and Adrien Brody, the film has quite an impressive cast. Howard in particular is especially good; giving a remarkably compelling performance. And the writing does a good job at teasing out the mystery of the creatures and the village. But (because it's Shyamalan) a twist is expected from the start, and it ends up being a fairly predictable and underwhelming one. He even tries for a double twist that doesn't work at all. Yet despite its weak twist, The Village has an interesting message about violence and the pursuit of innocents and hope.
January 2, 2018
one of my favorite movies (Top 10). I find it mind blowing that this movie has a 50/50 split in love/hate the movie. - watch it again... (PUT THAT ELECTRONIC DEVICE DOWN!!!)
½ December 15, 2017
well made movie. a little slow but still very interesting with a great story. mismarketed as a horror film, this period piece drama is very original and different. lots of unique and memorable shots (about 2 viewings)
November 27, 2017
loved the movie don't just look for the twist
November 18, 2017
i thought it was pretty entertaining
½ November 2, 2017
The Village: A creepy and original thriller.
October 29, 2017
I didn't hate this movie, I just thought it wasn't that good. The suspense wasn't there and the story's conclusion was a cop out.
½ October 22, 2017
This has incredible acting, believable relationships, mystery, etc. Did these same critics praise The Visit?
I can watch The Village over again. More than can be said for most of M. Night's attempts.
October 16, 2017
Saw in the theater, I have to say this is m. Night shamilan if that is spelled correctly worst piece of shit this man has ever made. Whoever gave him 57% is just absolutely incorrect or just bad judgement to movies since roger Ebert. For that my message to the audience GO FUCK YOURSELVES.
October 11, 2017
There's some intrigue and human drama here, but everything promising about this would-be parable is washed away by a poorly-executed twist and a unsuitably upbeat ending.
September 26, 2017
viewed on 7/8/04 (Sat)

Have to be very very careful not to give away any spoilers. Don't don't give away the ending. I mean it is so so so head-spinning that no one wants to be the first party pooper.

I say this is the best way to counter-attack piracy. Draws the audience back into the theatres and guarantee them that they will be given a big secret to keep from the rest of the town.

All I can say are loopholes are inevitable and the story a little far-fetched but I have to take my hat off M. Night Shyamalan. He is comparable to Alfred Hitchcock and Wes Craven. Maestros of suspense.

Yup, no more comments from me. And I think film critics should be as brief too. With audience getting smarter, they cannot afford to say too much.

Rating: B+
Expected Rating: B+
September 19, 2017
Good flick.Fresh and thrilling. Probably underrated because it followed three better hits from Shyamalan.
September 8, 2017
My Favorite Teacher Ms. Sindelar Did See This When It Came Out.
August 29, 2017
Original and worth a watch.