The Village - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Village Reviews

October 21, 2016
I completely loved this Movie! It had the BEST ending ever!
October 2, 2016
The best movie of M. Night Shyamalan!
August 27, 2016
Movies are made to make us forget about reality, and conjure up Somthing that makes us forget about it. Many critics on here will say that the plot twist at the end is terrible and unconfortable, and makes them hate the movie. But if you keep an open mind to this film towards the end as well the theme of it, you will find that this movie is absolutely beautiful. The acting is extremely flawless, the soundtrack is my favorite out of all the movies I've ever seen, and the plot provides a breath taking vibe.
½ August 2, 2016
The Village is reasonably creepy and has a good setup, then Shyamalan's signature twist is revealed. The audience then calmly says, "oh, that makes sense" and realizes they might as well go home. Overall a promising film that fails to deliver in the end.
½ July 31, 2016
The second we find out its modern day and they have been living inside a national park, my brain told myself to punch me in the face as hard and as many times as I could for going to see this movie.
½ July 25, 2016
Stange. Very very very strange
½ July 25, 2016
The Village, Count Me In!

The Village, Has More PlotHoles Than Lady In The Water, But Lady in the water was DVD watch, This had 10!
If I ever see one more awful film of M. Night Shyamalan's... he should really stop making movies.

Score: 4/10
July 25, 2016
The twist ending disappoints? I wasn't disappointed by the story but the characters. This tale only falls apart in the 3rd act and really if our standards wouldn't have been soo high; this Shyamalan film, would still be well regraded
July 23, 2016
Time is going to tell with this movie. I love it. I think it's well done. There's at least some thought put into it.
July 21, 2016
The Village is a solid horror flick directed by M Night Shyamalan, filled with good acting and the distinct Shyamalan tone that is mysterious and a little creepy. I really enjoyed this one, and I think it got its bad reception because it was marketed only as a horror film when it is also a love story. I was very interested in the relationship between the two leads, and I actually enjoyed the ending. It just gets a little slow, and a little preposterous at times. In the end, no matter how underused Jessie Eisenberg was, The Village is a good time
½ July 20, 2016
Adrian Brody's performance reminded me of Leo DiCaprio's in "What's Eating Gilbert Grape." Seriously, they deserve awards for their portrayals, as I can't imagine how difficult it would be to act as a special needs person.
July 16, 2016
The Village is suspenseful, although a bit odd and a bit slow.

In the end, motives become clear and loose ends are tied. I just wish it had moved a little faster in certain areas, condensed to fit into a slightly shorter timeframe.

It's an interesting and creative concept, which is something I've come to expect from director M. Night Shyamalan. He tends to think outside the box.
June 10, 2016
This really isn't a bad movie at all when you watch it for what it is: A mixture of drama, romance and suspense with a heavy emphasis on the romance. But we don't get a sappy romance here--the lead female character is quite smart and strong despite being blind. The movie is also creepy, just not the terrifying horror story it was marketed as. It's more of a thought-provoking look at human nature, grief, death, tragedy fear, and love, and how we cannot escape these things no matter what we do.

In addition, this film has one of the most stunning soundtracks I have ever heard: beautiful and haunting all at once.
June 8, 2016
Thoughtful, atmospheric if somewhat flawed film. Talk about getting away from it all.
June 5, 2016
As people keep saying, The Village was let down by its ending because it was promoted as a horror film. Ignore this and you do have a very creepy, mysterious movie, well acted and well shot. It is a decent film but doesn't really pull it off at the end.
½ May 19, 2016
This is one the worst movies I've seen ever. Don't waste your time watching it. It's more exciting to watch water boil. The twist is the dumbest thing. Can't believe I paid to watch this in the theatre.
½ May 17, 2016
a bit weird but good
May 17, 2016
What started off as a scary movie turned out to be even scarier. Maybe not as you would expect, but the final act is very thought provoking. Man's good intentions can quickly run a stray, and this movie will lead you to question more than you ever thought. That is, if you can follow the underlying message. Outstanding story!
½ April 25, 2016
Nope, not creepy, just stupid.
Positives: Joaquin Phoenix, Sigourney Weaver.
Negatives: Shyamalan's signature disappointing ending.
½ April 17, 2016
This movie was terrible to say the least, and the twist in the end made the movie even worse. very boring, not much to talk about. When we went to see this in theaters literally half the people leaving the movie were talking to each other asking "what the hell was that"