The Village - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Village Reviews

September 19, 2017
Good flick.Fresh and thrilling. Probably underrated because it followed three better hits from Shyamalan.
September 8, 2017
My Favorite Teacher Ms. Sindelar Did See This When It Came Out.
August 29, 2017
Original and worth a watch.
½ August 1, 2017
A strange film which works on several levels, but (as is admitted in the making of bonus material) changes direction and never quite finished the first bit nor properly fills out the second bit. There's even a third bit which is introduced but not pursued at all.

A stellar cast & crew which might have garnered more awards with this film.
July 30, 2017
Would have benefited from having a gay cowboy or biker
½ July 12, 2017
The Village has a great cast and a good setting to make it rise above the mediocrity of everyday cinema. It's emotional and well constructed for the most part, but does the conclusion really justify all that suspense it builds?
June 24, 2017
Such a disappointment. Terrible boring stupid movie.
½ June 9, 2017
Although my sister likes this movie, I personally found it loathsome. And this is when M. Night Shyamalan started going down the path of making terrible and predictable plot-twist thrillers and why he's now looked down upon by popular media.
May 4, 2017
It's not a bad movie, but it's not a very good movie either. The main problem is that it is too slow. The film was effective in creating a creepy and mysterious atmosphere, but nothing really happens and there are no real surprises. (First viewing - Summer 2004 in theaters)
April 28, 2017
Good story telling with groping suspense & great visuals. Yes, not the usual MNS twist in the tale though.
April 24, 2017
I don't know why people don't like this movie. They say it's the twist that ruined it but it really didn't in my opinion. It just pieced the movie together. At the end it all came together like a puzzle. Everything made sense. This isn't M. Night Shyamalan's best work but it really isn't bad. The story is really interesting and is full of suspenseful moments. It can be extremely creepy at times too. This is Shyamalan's scariest movie yet. One flaw with this movie is that it can feel a little bit like scooby doo at times because it can get cheesy. Overall this is a pretty suspenseful movie and is another good movie from Shyamalan. B+
February 18, 2017
The Village benefits from a good premise and cast, but it doesn't quite compare to Shyamalan's previous films or twists.
February 1, 2017
This is a beautiful looking movie, the whole cast is very good and the score by James Newton Howard is gorgeous.
Like all of Shyamalan's movies, it is very slow burn.
The first half is very good, until the first twist, which ruins the rest of the movie and would have been much more effective later on in the movie.
This was his weakest movie, at the time of it's release.
January 30, 2017
viewed on 7/8/04 (Sat)

Have to be very very careful not to give away any spoilers. Don't don't give away the ending. I mean it is so so so head-spinning that no one wants to be the first party pooper.

I say this is the best way to counter-attack piracy. Draws the audience back into the theatres and guarantee them that they will be given a big secret to keep from the rest of the town.

All I can say are loopholes are inevitable and the story a little far-fetched but I have to take my hat off M. Night Shyamalan. He is comparable to Alfred Hitchcock and Wes Craven. Maestros of suspense.

Yup, no more comments from me. And I think film critics should be as brief too. With audience getting smarter, they cannot afford to say too much.

Rating: B+
Expected Rating: B+
January 29, 2017
Smart and clever movie with a great twist!
January 28, 2017
Very underrated film. It was excellent throughout and Shyamalan, as usual, is great with the ending. I don't care what anyone says about the ending, they did NOT predict it.
½ January 27, 2017
How could anyone but Shyamalan think this up? A masterful tale of suspense and isolation.
½ January 17, 2017
was actually a good movie
½ January 14, 2017
Boring and Pointless
½ December 31, 2016
Worst movie ever created by man.