Vox Lux Reviews

• Mar 26, 2020

I'm very divided on this movie. I do love Natalie Portman's performance. And I really like most aspects of the directing. But there's so much that's just awful. Let's start with the music. The pop songs that make Celeste a superstar are torturous. I mean, it's unbearably bad. No spoilers, but there is an almost early M. Night style reveal at the end that's supported by the lyrics of these awful songs that don't even rhyme and could never exist in the real world. I praise your endurance if you could withstand a second viewing or read the subtitles to them just to say, "oh yeah." Second horrible thing: the random narrations by Willem Dafoe. He comes in and narrates at certain points in the movie filling in gaps in the timeline and making socio-political observations about the time. It's kind of lazy for that to be delivered by a narrator. Meanwhile, the actual final reveal, also just told by this narrator, is at the very end, and completely unrelated to any of his previous narrations. So thanks Williem Dafoe. Keep making horrible movies about Vincent van Gogh. I'd recommend you watch Wild Rose instead of this.

• Mar 24, 2020

Perplexing tone and character choices. Seems to want to be 2 or 3 different movies. Watchable but not great in any way.

• Mar 19, 2020

Un personaggio che inizia e finisce nella stessa condizione, risulta un po' pesante nel complesso. Non sono cosi fine da apprezzarne il contenuto

• Jan 23, 2020

This movie is like watching two very different upsetting films played one after the other. Moments that were truly insignificant to the plot were stretched for far too long and others, like what I would consider potentially the most significant turning point in the film, are hardly given enough time at all and are played so minimally that you have no idea if you should care or not. This film is desperately trying to say something, but seems to forget halfway through what it might have been, like a drunk person who can't remember why they were just yelling. Visually interesting, and I'm a sucker for a movie with credits at the beginning, hence 2 stars.

• Jan 21, 2020

Un conglomerado de situaciones, que jamas pense podian encajar en una misma pelicula, es entretenida, pero pense que podria desarrollarse mejor

• Jan 11, 2020

The trailer is better than the final product. They promised us something quite crude and interesting, and in the end we only got a generic story of a "star."

• Jan 03, 2020

"Vox Lux" is a brilliant, even if flawed, portrayal of the 21st century and the life of a woman who despite, or due to, all her imperfections is the best possible champion to represent it. A musical journey - soundtrack by popstar Sia - simultaneously criticizing and glorifying pop music, this movie is Brady Corbet's triumphing sophomore film, and it triumphs not because it's perfect, but because of its charismatic flaws, mind-blowing originality, and brutal honesty. It's needless to say Portman's performance is amazing, crafting a human more human and less humane than most, but Raffey Cassidy also stands out with her raw and coming-of-age approach to playing a victim of trauma...

• Dec 25, 2019

Okey, this movie was awful at every aspect apart from role of Natalie Portman.

Okey, this movie was awful at every aspect apart from role of Natalie Portman.

• Nov 26, 2019

A real hum-dinger. Very poor indeed. Was hoping she got shot at the end again to end the misery that is this film.

• Nov 22, 2019

If this was based on someone's tragic biography it would have been a hit!

If this was based on someone's tragic biography it would have been a hit!