Wake in Fright Reviews

• May 19, 2020

One of my favorite all-time horror movies. At times, I found it so hard to watch, I had to stop and come back the next day. This movie is full of insane scenes, shots, and not without its own controversy. One of Australia's best cinematic achievements.

• May 17, 2020

a great film for collectors of nasty trash movies!

a great film for collectors of nasty trash movies!

• May 09, 2020

Wake in Fright is basically about this educated Aussie that can't handle the sesh with the country folk. It's a horror but it's more of a party starter for me and my mates.

• Apr 27, 2020

Powerful Aussie classic.

Powerful Aussie classic.

• Apr 01, 2020

EVIL SCUMBAG MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EVIL SCUMBAG MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Feb 26, 2020

Not really sure what all the positive fuss is for this movie. I'll give it credit for probably pushing the envelope for its time - but really it just makes one never want to drink again.

• Jan 09, 2020

I love the soundtrack already. Sweeping but eerie at the same time, desolate. Wow, I already love this movie. It's got those Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory vibes mixed with The Wicker Man. Wow, he is literally out in the middle of fucking nowhere. There's something odd about that whole "Lest We Forget" moment in the bar. It reminds me of Bioshock for some reason. Gambling can be a scary thing especially if you don't know when to stop. It's almost like sin is around every corner in this fucking podunk town. Wow, a movie like this would never be made nowadays. Especially with PETA around. Oh my god, they'd go ape shit over the scenes with the kangaroos. I actually felt really bad for the kangaroos and it definitely was animal cruelty what they were doing. I don't think I've ever been more disturbed watching a movie then when watching that kangaroo scene. Despite it being real disturbing at times, this movie is a very important one. It shows us that anyone can be influenced in the wrong way when your around the wrong people and also when there's booze involved. Especially when there's booze involved. A journey into the dark depths of the human psyche. The evil that humans are capable of, the sins that exist around them and the temptations that lie around every corner. This movie was without a doubt one of the more disturbing ones I've seen in a while. Probably up there with Requiem For a Dream. I don't think I'd be watching this one again but I did definitely take something important from it. Which is to not go over board with drinking or to surround yourself with undesirable people and to never visit the city of Yabba, Australia or any backwoods hillbilly podunk town.

• Sep 22, 2019

This movie is pure vomit. The first hour or more was an amusing story of a man's misadventure in a small beer-saturated town in the middle of nowhere. That ended fast when it turned into a gruesome 15 minute scene of actual animal slaughter. A disgusting film.

• Feb 09, 2019

I found it to be a highly shocking film which explored the depths of hyper masculinity. While it doesn't offer much in the way of character development, what it does instead is detail an outsider's horrific descent into it once he begins to spend time amongst various people who represent this in several shocking scenes. This leads up to the haunting climax where his actions begin to take an emotional toll on him which is both conveyed and edited real well. The kangaroo scene was hard to watch, but it's part of the film's visceral power. I feel like that sequence pushes the intensity of the film to a much more shocking level. In addition to strong acting and some great cinematography which brings out how drab the setting is, this film is pretty fantastic.

• Jan 05, 2019

Oddball 'lost' Australian feature about the long dark night of a middle-class teacher (Gary Bond) who falls in with a group of beer-swilling thugs and - through a combination of peer pressure and alcohol - ends up slaughtering kangaroo and trying to take his own life. Echoes of Lord of the Flies and the same year's other Outback drama, Walkabout.