Walking Tall - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Walking Tall Reviews

June 9, 2018
Man returns to his home town and finds that it's turned into a cesspool of gambling and drugs. I enjoy this a lot. Guilty pleasure. The ending isn't that great though.
May 14, 2018
I can't say I disliked this movie, especially with the Rock in it, but it is a retread of a genre I didn't really care for the first time around. Don't expect to be surprised by plot twists or great acting or anything. But hey, the Rock puts the 'nullification' in jury nullification! And I guess the guy from Jackass is in it - I didn't recogize him, but I guess the role fits.
½ March 17, 2018
I like watching the Rock in Action. This film is totally unbelievable, but you keep watching. Has it's moments, but not many.
½ February 23, 2018
It wasn't that disappointing....
½ October 2, 2017
You don?t really appreciate the quality of films like Under Siege, Road House and the Last Stand until you see dross like this. So tired a story and so poorly delivered.
June 24, 2017
Soldier comes home to find where he grew up taken over by criminals. he gets himself elected sheriff and goes after the bad guys
½ June 15, 2017
Crooked Sheriff and deputies get fired by a newly appointed crooked Sheriff (Rock). Don't worry though, the bad guys are corrupt casino thugs who do corrupt things more corrupt than Rock who hires a deranged lunatic with 0 training as his only deputy (Knoxville), bashes a tail light during a traffic stop, and detains people by tying them to a chair as he makes them watch their personal vehicle get destroyed.

All that for some subpar shootout scenes and horrible fight choreography.
½ April 30, 2017
Light, weightless, fun action. The Rock is great in the role, and the story is good. It's not as compelling or fleshed out as the originals or the true story. But it's a fun enough action movie to forgive all that and have a good time with the retribution.
½ April 12, 2017
2 1/2 stars

Almost good. Almost.
April 9, 2017
Walking Tall has some entertaining action sequences which is surprising for a film based off of a true story with the protagonist's name and the film's setting being altered...for some reason. The Rock also shows that he's a pretty good action hero especially given he was still a wrestler around the time this film was released before he told Hollywood "Call me Dwayne Johnson". Sadly, the film ends too soon at 86 minutes including credits and also feels pretty forgettable. Also, was there any valid reason as to why Johnny Knoxville's in the movie? Neal McDonough I can understand as he's the villain or something,I think (like I said, feels forgettable). But the star of MTV's Jackass? You could literally get an unknown to portray Knoxville's character and no one would've given a crap about it. Summary: Solid action but too short with one actor having no legitimate reasons for being in this film other than to make money.
March 25, 2017
I watched it, it was good and I'm glad he closed the casino, those guys are a bunch of crooks. Justice is served.
½ February 22, 2017
Not a perfect movie by any means, but it's one of those movies I've never had a problem turning on when channel surfing. The Rock, the action, the soundtrack are all great. Neal McDonough is a good bad guy. What's not good? The silly love story and the Rock's relationship with his drug curious, but incredibly drug intolerant nephew. Overall I'd have no problem displaying this with my movie collection though.
½ February 16, 2017
Chris Vaughn is a retired soldier who returns to his hometown to make a new life for himself, only to discover his wealthy high school rival, Jay Hamilton, has closed the once-prosperous lumber mill to turn the town's resources towards his own criminal gains. The town is now overrun with crime, drugs and violence. Enlisting the help of his old pal Ray Chris Vaughn is a retired soldier who returns to his hometown to make a new life for himself, only to discover his wealthy high school rival, Jay Hamilton, has closed the once-prosperous lumber mill to turn the town's resources towards his own criminal gains. The town is now overrun with crime, drugs and violence. Enlisting the help of his old pal Ray Templeton, Chris gets elected sheriff and vows to shut down Hamilton's operations. His actions endanger his family and threaten his own life, but Chris refuses to back down until his hometown once again feels like home.
January 14, 2017
It was a decent action movie with a good cast, but, I found the story line was lacking some and the movie seemed to end quickly.
½ January 2, 2017
The cops just ended up abusing the law. That's not really any better. But I've officially seen a Rock movie.
November 11, 2016
This is not a good movie and it's not Dwayne Johnson's fault. The supporting cast is not that good, the climax to the movie is rushed and the credits seem to get longer time then some scenes of the movie.
October 13, 2016
Favorite movie of all time amazing cast and action packed with an awesome story line
½ August 1, 2016
Great movie to watch to see justice is served by the Rock!
July 28, 2016
I loved the movie, from the plot to the weird dark comedy. The "based on a true story" disclaimer just makes it all the more interesting, I cannot see why this has such bad ratings.