Walking Tall - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Walking Tall Reviews

January 14, 2017
It was a decent action movie with a good cast, but, I found the story line was lacking some and the movie seemed to end quickly.
½ January 2, 2017
The cops just ended up abusing the law. That's not really any better. But I've officially seen a Rock movie.
November 11, 2016
This is not a good movie and it's not Dwayne Johnson's fault. The supporting cast is not that good, the climax to the movie is rushed and the credits seem to get longer time then some scenes of the movie.
October 13, 2016
Favorite movie of all time amazing cast and action packed with an awesome story line
½ August 1, 2016
Great movie to watch to see justice is served by the Rock!
July 28, 2016
I loved the movie, from the plot to the weird dark comedy. The "based on a true story" disclaimer just makes it all the more interesting, I cannot see why this has such bad ratings.
½ March 12, 2016
Walking Tall is a typical Dwayne Johnson action movie which hugely relies on his charisma as a wrestler-turned-actor without offering much of content or a story. Clichéd, unable to offer any thrills and unnecessarily focused on social and sentimental elements, this is a delivery that can be watched and followed with the half of you attention without missing anything important.
Chris Vaughn (Dwayne Johnson) is a former Special Forces member who returns to his town, family and friends after years of service only to discover that the place where he grew up has changed. A local casino, managed by a friend of him, has become the main economic force in the town despite some questionable and potentially illegal practices. When Vaughn decides to go against the establishment he puts not only his life, but also the ones of his family and friends at risk.
Usually such type of small-life, town-based actions are all predictable and rely hugely on good acting or social message that can increase the overall emotional load and involve the audience beyond just the average following of the fighting sequences. Unfortunately, Walking Tall offers none of these two elements. It is true that Dwayne Johnson is somehow capable to bear the whole production on his shoulders thanks to his action charisma, but to his disappointment (and ours, as well) neither the remaining cast nor the social context are worth being followed. Director Kevin Bray's movie feel as if you are watching something of which if you miss 5 minutes you will actually miss nothing. This makes Walking Tall an OK Sunday afternoon TV distraction, but even when on the TV you will not be fully captivated by it.
jamrcla
½ February 1, 2016
It was a pretty good film but it was very short but full of action and just what Dwayne does best.
October 15, 2015
I didn't watch this movie for a life lesson or a new perceptive on life. I saw this movie to make my evening dinner interesting and it did it good. I enjoyed the violence but I did not like the lack of character depth. Still worth watching over ravioli.
½ September 3, 2015
Total disrespect for rule of law & due process.
½ September 1, 2015
Dear Hollywood, staphhhhhhh.
July 27, 2015
Actually,walking quite small.
½ July 22, 2015
A refreshing movie with someone standing up (i.e., risking his life) for good. A modern day Rio Bravo (or any other number of old westerns), with a little over the top action and silliness. Much of it was quite far fetched, but I still enjoyed it.
July 3, 2015
Enjoyable movie featuring The Rock and Johnny Knoxville. It's a standard tale of the hero gets beaten down only to rise back up as the film goes on. Happy ending etc etc. Anyone who enjoys The Rock's acting should enjoy this movie.
May 2, 2015
I actually like this movie. Not a huge fan of Johnny Knoxville but he tends to say just the right thing at times to make you chuckle. I feel like this was back when The Rock didn't feel like his muscles had to do all the talking, he could be a bad ass in other ways. Considering I still like watching it 11 years later, good movie.
October 22, 2014
Very entertaining, though a little silly.
October 13, 2014
Great, Great, great movie. A lot of action.
½ October 5, 2014
Eine neu erzählte Geschichte einer alten Serie! Die Rolle des Hauptdarstellers ist auf The Rock gut zugeschnitten. Leider verspricht die Geschichte nicht viel Neues. Bekloppte Böse, die ein Landschaftsbild verändern möchten und ein heimgekehrter Soldat, der das Gesetz in die eigene Hand nimmt. Das haben wir in der Vergangenheit schon öfters gesehen. Für einen langweiligen Sonntag gut geeignet.