Walking Tall - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Walking Tall Reviews

½ April 30, 2017
Light, weightless, fun action. The Rock is great in the role, and the story is good. It's not as compelling or fleshed out as the originals or the true story. But it's a fun enough action movie to forgive all that and have a good time with the retribution.
½ April 12, 2017
2 1/2 stars

Almost good. Almost.
April 9, 2017
Walking Tall has some entertaining action sequences which is surprising for a film based off of a true story with the protagonist's name and the film's setting being altered...for some reason. The Rock also shows that he's a pretty good action hero especially given he was still a wrestler around the time this film was released before he told Hollywood "Call me Dwayne Johnson". Sadly, the film ends too soon at 86 minutes including credits and also feels pretty forgettable. Also, was there any valid reason as to why Johnny Knoxville's in the movie? Neal McDonough I can understand as he's the villain or something,I think (like I said, feels forgettable). But the star of MTV's Jackass? You could literally get an unknown to portray Knoxville's character and no one would've given a crap about it. Summary: Solid action but too short with one actor having no legitimate reasons for being in this film other than to make money.
March 25, 2017
I watched it, it was good and I'm glad he closed the casino, those guys are a bunch of crooks. Justice is served.
½ February 22, 2017
Not a perfect movie by any means, but it's one of those movies I've never had a problem turning on when channel surfing. The Rock, the action, the soundtrack are all great. Neal McDonough is a good bad guy. What's not good? The silly love story and the Rock's relationship with his drug curious, but incredibly drug intolerant nephew. Overall I'd have no problem displaying this with my movie collection though.
½ February 16, 2017
Chris Vaughn is a retired soldier who returns to his hometown to make a new life for himself, only to discover his wealthy high school rival, Jay Hamilton, has closed the once-prosperous lumber mill to turn the town's resources towards his own criminal gains. The town is now overrun with crime, drugs and violence. Enlisting the help of his old pal Ray Chris Vaughn is a retired soldier who returns to his hometown to make a new life for himself, only to discover his wealthy high school rival, Jay Hamilton, has closed the once-prosperous lumber mill to turn the town's resources towards his own criminal gains. The town is now overrun with crime, drugs and violence. Enlisting the help of his old pal Ray Templeton, Chris gets elected sheriff and vows to shut down Hamilton's operations. His actions endanger his family and threaten his own life, but Chris refuses to back down until his hometown once again feels like home.
January 14, 2017
It was a decent action movie with a good cast, but, I found the story line was lacking some and the movie seemed to end quickly.
½ January 2, 2017
The cops just ended up abusing the law. That's not really any better. But I've officially seen a Rock movie.
November 11, 2016
This is not a good movie and it's not Dwayne Johnson's fault. The supporting cast is not that good, the climax to the movie is rushed and the credits seem to get longer time then some scenes of the movie.
October 13, 2016
Favorite movie of all time amazing cast and action packed with an awesome story line
½ August 1, 2016
Great movie to watch to see justice is served by the Rock!
July 28, 2016
I loved the movie, from the plot to the weird dark comedy. The "based on a true story" disclaimer just makes it all the more interesting, I cannot see why this has such bad ratings.
½ March 12, 2016
Walking Tall is a typical Dwayne Johnson action movie which hugely relies on his charisma as a wrestler-turned-actor without offering much of content or a story. Clichéd, unable to offer any thrills and unnecessarily focused on social and sentimental elements, this is a delivery that can be watched and followed with the half of you attention without missing anything important.
Chris Vaughn (Dwayne Johnson) is a former Special Forces member who returns to his town, family and friends after years of service only to discover that the place where he grew up has changed. A local casino, managed by a friend of him, has become the main economic force in the town despite some questionable and potentially illegal practices. When Vaughn decides to go against the establishment he puts not only his life, but also the ones of his family and friends at risk.
Usually such type of small-life, town-based actions are all predictable and rely hugely on good acting or social message that can increase the overall emotional load and involve the audience beyond just the average following of the fighting sequences. Unfortunately, Walking Tall offers none of these two elements. It is true that Dwayne Johnson is somehow capable to bear the whole production on his shoulders thanks to his action charisma, but to his disappointment (and ours, as well) neither the remaining cast nor the social context are worth being followed. Director Kevin Bray's movie feel as if you are watching something of which if you miss 5 minutes you will actually miss nothing. This makes Walking Tall an OK Sunday afternoon TV distraction, but even when on the TV you will not be fully captivated by it.
jamrcla
½ February 1, 2016
It was a pretty good film but it was very short but full of action and just what Dwayne does best.
October 15, 2015
I didn't watch this movie for a life lesson or a new perceptive on life. I saw this movie to make my evening dinner interesting and it did it good. I enjoyed the violence but I did not like the lack of character depth. Still worth watching over ravioli.
½ September 3, 2015
Total disrespect for rule of law & due process.
½ September 1, 2015
Dear Hollywood, staphhhhhhh.
July 27, 2015
Actually,walking quite small.
½ July 22, 2015
A refreshing movie with someone standing up (i.e., risking his life) for good. A modern day Rio Bravo (or any other number of old westerns), with a little over the top action and silliness. Much of it was quite far fetched, but I still enjoyed it.