Walking Tall Reviews

April 8, 2013
It's the early years of the The Rock stepping out of the ring into the Hollywood silver screen, and surprisingly, he brought enough charisma to elevate a mediocre film to higher heights, and so he did with "Walking Tall". The story: out of whack for sure. The dialogue: horrible. And the movie as a whole is rife with cliches, but it's easy to relax and enjoy a flick like this all due to the electrifying energy that Dwayne Johnson throws onto the screen. It's just another cable television guilty pleasure that'll surprisingly keep you interested throughout.
TheDudeLebowski65
½ October 16, 2011
Walking Tall had the potential of being something very good. Instead the film is a disappointing action film with a meager cast. The film could have been done much better than this, and though it had an interesting story, the film falls apart halfway through. The thing that is shocking about the film is that it started well enough to be a good film, but like I said halfway through the film things start to fall apart, the film goes all over the place, and it doesn't try whatsoever to really redeem itself. This is disappointing because the film had such a great story. This film ends up being terrible, and being one of the worst action films in recent memory. I found it surprising to see Johnny Knoxville in a somewhat serious role, and to his credit, he wasn't bad in this. The actors do what they can with the lacking second half, but it's too late. Walking Tall is a mediocre action film that doesn't have anything really interesting to offer and it's a shame because the film started off well enough. This is a perfect example of screenwriters not being to effectively develop a solid second half to a solid first half. This film could have been terrific, but it fails and the film is quite unsatisfying in the end. A good first half but disappointing second make Walking Tall a film that really isn't effective, and with a good concept, it could have been a terrific action film.
MANUGINO
October 23, 2010
Great Movie! Never get tired of watching it, The Rock is the shit!

After eight years serving the U.S. Army Special Forces, Sergeant Chris Vaughn returns to his hometown seeking for a job in the local mill. He is informed by Sheriff Stan Watkins that the mill was closed six months ago and now the Wild Cherry Casino, owned by his former high school friend Jay Hamilton, is the major source of jobs and income to the town. Chris goes home, and meets his best-friend Ray Templeton, who organized a football game with their friends. After the game, Jay invites Chris and his friends to spend the night in his casino on him, but when Chris finds that the casino stick-man is cheating with the dices, he fights against the security men and is almost killed by them. When his nephew Pete has an OD with amphetamines sold by the security men of the casino, Chris realizes that the town is dominated by the mobsters and the corrupt sheriff and with a huge piece of wood, he breaks the casino and the criminals. He is prosecuted and in the trial, he promises to the jury and to the population that if he is considered non-guilty, he would be candidate to the sheriff position and clean the town. Later, Sheriff Chris Vaughn has to fight against the organized crime to keep his promise.
January 18, 2010
The Rock really explains this best when he says "This is nothing but old school ass whoopins brought on some candy ass with a four by four piece of cedar". This is mostly a nostalgia movie that everyone can love. It's realistic action starring one of the most charismatic and lovable action stars. As a bonus, this movie is fun and is really well shot. While the story is somewhat of a classic when it comes to the one man army scenario, it somehow never gets old.
Chiefilms
½ July 12, 2010
3 stars if Johnny Knoxville wasn't in this one, stick to artificially inseminating cattle.
September 8, 2007
A fairly entertaining thriller in which The Rock shines. No, it doesn't have much brains, and the plot feels fairly familiar, but some of the scenes are fun. There's absolutely no romantic chemistry between The Rock and Ashley Scott, as this predictability weighs down the movie to a degree. However, as said, The Rock atleast makes you believe he's taking this movie and character seriously, even if the ending is completely ridiculous and over-the-top.
½ October 1, 2009
Naivety ain't a problem when you've got muscles to back you up! The Rock is a likable guy but this film is fairly crappy really. Should have realised when I saw that it was produced by WWE! Aw well!
June 11, 2009
PURE STUPIDITY. but then again what did i expect from the Rock? he is dumb as a rock. "hey im pissed and probably on steroids, im gonna hit people with 2-by-4s and stuff!" cause thats what wrestler turned actors always do...
arashxak
September 13, 2008
A bad version of The Rundown
½ May 17, 2008
Let's get some justice with a 2x4!
February 18, 2007
A great and explosive good time. Wild, funny and loaded with pure head-bashing and bone-crunching in your face action. An awsome adreniline-pumping ride. The Rock is sensational in his role, he's on his way to movie superstardome. The Rock shows he's not the beefy machine gun action hero but a hero with heart. Johnny Knoxville is teriffic. He also delivers some great comic relief. It's pulse-pounding fun that never lets up. Powerful and relentlessly enjoyable. One of those rare old school action films that delivers excatly what you want.
March 3, 2008
Entertaining and very short. Which is a good thing in this case.
April 24, 2007
I Luv the Rock....Great Action Drama Film ^_^
½ August 14, 2007
This is a good movie. The Rock plays his character very well.
½ June 14, 2007
For a Re-make, I thought it was better then most. Besides that, it was the first movie I watched with The Rock in it - and he proved he can indeed, act well.
Tad bit over done, in some of the fighting scenes though.
skactopus
June 5, 2007
After watching the The Rundown I had high hopes for this, but I was bored out of my mind with this one. It really was reminiscent of Steven Seagal's Fire Down Below. Very slow and boring storyline with a few mediocre action scenes within. If you're watching this movie just to see The Rock kick some butt, then you're just wasting your time.
April 3, 2007
I can completely understand why the critics panned this movie: it's about a guy who enforces the law by beating up criminals with a chunk of lumber. But come on! It's The freaking Rock! Beating up criminals with a big chunk of lumber! I could just watch footage of that and be happy. I can even admit that I wasn't crazy about the plot, but I liked the cast, and I like watching Dwayne Johnson swing a four-by-four.
December 28, 2006
It was ok.
½ October 6, 2006
I really want to like The Rock but he's not making it easy for me.
deano
November 13, 2006
This remake movie with The Rock is okay, but he's more tough in this dangerously action.