Waltz with Bashir - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Waltz with Bashir Reviews

July 22, 2016
A meditative and thought-provoking picture of war, "Waltz With Bashir" is probably the first time I've ever witnessed the combining of animation with art-house.
July 2, 2016
Waltz with Bashir is a painfully honest animated film that looks at a defining moment in the history of the Near East through the eyes of unreliable witnesses.
May 13, 2016
Impossible to forget and gripping.
May 5, 2016
Animated but engaging
½ April 11, 2016
A great documentary regarding one of the Israeli-Palistinian conflicts of the 1980's that ended with two massacred refugee camps in Lebanon which was carried out by a Lebanese Christian Militia. The documentaries purpose seems to be the narrators inability to remember his participation in the war itself, probably due to repression of his memories witnessing the aftermath and the normal fog of war. There are multiple players involved and each recants what they can remember as they weave an incomplete web of the brutality of their own experiences. While not touching on the politics involved with this conflict it does tend to give a one-sided view of the war, even though I would say it is somewhat sympathetic to the opposing (Palestinian) side without having any witness interviewed.
½ March 29, 2016
Not only is this movie visually beatiful, but it conveys a very rough, but touching message that everyone living in the modern world should see. Perfect balance between imagery and music are obtained during most scenes. Would reccomend to most.
March 9, 2016
A funny, hallucinatory, scary, insightful, and ultimately devastating film.

Walks a fine line between feature films and documentary very well. Could have done with more Arab perspective, but stands up well as a highly personal Israeli account of a horrific war and an infamous massacre.
½ March 7, 2016
It may be artistically groundbreaking but this film's intention wasn't to view the war from a soldier point of view. Its intention was to shift the blame of the Sabra and Shatila massacre from the Israeli government and officials to insignificant individuals. I mean there isn't anything which could happen in that scale (750 to 3500 murders) without explicit orders.
The film tries to be as innocent as possible by portraying a soldier who developed amnesia for what has happened during the massacre. It avoids any cliches and political point of views (except for the phone call to Ariel Sharon which reports the massacre and innocently replied "Did you see it?" and when the answer was no it was the proof of the film that he hadn't anything to do with it.) The massacre happened in the course of 48 hours but those innocent criminals didn't even knew what happened! What a pity!
It's actually a very clever way in delivering the message without being discredited
February 29, 2016
A horrific story of our recent history coming from Lebanon as remembered by a group of Israeli soldiers. Very well made animation documentary as the film maker travels ,trying to fill gaps in his memory of the horrid massacre in Beirut. Extremely well made but sad
½ February 22, 2016
Haunting, and deeply, appropriately, unsettlingly, mortifyingly artistic. Mortifying for its poetic pseudo-twist -- dare I say it, history repeats itself.
September 21, 2015
Powerfully moving and gorgeously animated, Waltz with Bashir is a masterpiece like nothing I've seen before.
½ September 20, 2015
A deep story of war in the middle east done with some of the best animation I've seen.
September 18, 2015
Pas pire mais LOIN d'être AUSSI bon que PERSEPOLIS !!!!
½ June 13, 2015
Good approach with Amnesia meeting with War Guilt, comics and Israeli-Arab conflicts.
May 20, 2015
You really feel like you are seeing the war from the perspective of the protagonist. An intelligent and deeply moving portrayal of the innocent mind in a sinister world and the brutalities inflicted by all sides of the conflict.
½ May 13, 2015
Well that was dark movie, but it was great.

The story is about the atrocities of war, they're not sure if their dreams are real, imaginary, or just the gateway to a flood of memories they'd rather not have to face.

Waltz with Bashir is the best animated movie for adults and film lovers out there. The movie is dark, shocking and it was good choice to make it animated, why you ask well with animation you can animate whatever you and I'm talking about you can make it gritty, happy, depressing or realistic, and the animation in this movie fitted the tone perfectly.

I'm not going to talk any more of Waltz with Bashir and I know I should tell you all about the movie but I think this one is special and to the people who haven't seen yet and just came across this review, the only thing I have to say to you is go watch it knowing nothing and see what kind of experience you get, if you hate that's fine it's your opinion but if you love it good for you.
March 28, 2015
This is fantastic, so original, so good at making you emote with the subject, well done indeed.
½ March 1, 2015
I can honestly say that I've never seen anything quite like WALTZ WITH BASHIR before. It's animated, but it's also a documentary which recounts director Ari Folman's attempt to reclaim long-suppressed memories of his involvement in the Lebanon War. The animation-documentary combination is an odd one, but nevertheless it works extraordinarily well with what the filmmakers seemed to be going for here. Although it mostly deals with firsthand war experiences, the larger theme is subjective and fragile nature of memory, particularly of the traumatic and painful variety. I don't really want to get into any specifics because to do so would spoil the impact. All I'll say is that this film builds rather slowly as different people are interviewed and details are revealed, and the climax is sure to provoke an emotional reaction. As far as the quality of the film is concerned, the animation is very well-done. The movement is a little odd at times, but this is due to them either using cut-outs or roto-scoping (maybe a combination of both?). I'm fairly certain that the interview scenes were based on actual film footage, but I could be wrong. The sequences in the past are distinguished from the present by having this watercolor-like, washed-out, yellow-tinged and dingy look, while the scenes in the present have more natural-looking color. Back to thematic content, there is also some discussion about dreams and how they relate to memory. And of course, since this film deals with a war (and massacre) issues of morality come up, if in a more subtle way than you might think. What I took away from this is that the Lebanon War (and Palestinian massacre) is something that weighs heavy on the Israeli/Jewish conscience. We as human beings tend to block out things from our memories that we find offensive and overly traumatic, and there probably is some cognitive dissonance between the very real atrocities visited on Jews in the past and the atrocities that they have inflicted, or at least passively observed being inflicted, on others. It should go without saying that this film deals with some very heavy subject matter, but it's very important that we as human beings are able to confront and deal with all memories, even the ones we'd like to forget.
½ January 18, 2015
Mezcla de animaciòn y documental , pelicula que narra acontecimientos reales y el horror de la guerra , con un final que te pone los pelos de punta.
½ January 17, 2015
This animation movie plays with music, images (the best of the movie are the very good soundtrack and photography), reminds, dreams and even real videos to describe you the situation in Libanese-Israel war, and the things that soldiers lived. With a not very structured narration, it wants to describe more feelings than a story, and remembers a little to Apocalypse now and other war movies which try to describe the horror of war. Not absolutely original, but deep about the issue it talks about, and beautiful in its display.