Watchmen - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Watchmen Reviews

May 16, 2017
Zack Snyder's "Watchmen" actually is able to probe the depths of the source material admirably, making it the best possible adaptation of such a tremendous graphic novel.
May 12, 2017
good movie. very different from typical superhero movies. i hated this when i first watched it in theaters, partially because i thought it was going to be an action movie which it is absolutely not, and partially because it's for more advanced viewers. there is a lot of good in this movie. so many cool-looking scenes and beautiful shots. aesthetically pleasing as usual from zack snyder. but it was long and requires patience. and it's lacking in some areas. some of the casting was way off. i didn't like the girl or night owl. rorshak or however you spell it was awesome, and dr. manhattan was intriguing. (2 viewings)

SPOILERS

all the stuff that happened at the end was cool, dr manhattan killing his friend after siding with the villain and how that all played out. and also the very end which shows that rorschach is going to get the truth out, which may lead to the end of the peace and the restarting of nuclear escalation
½ May 9, 2017
The story is intelligent and complex, the characters are excellent, the cast is talented, the music is marvelous, and the visual effects are great.
May 6, 2017
That's what you call a real COMIC BOOK ADAPTATION.
April 22, 2017
I knew nothing of the graphic novel when I came to watch 'Watchmen', except that the film was based on comics. I watched the 'Director's Cut', and I was completely engaged from beginning to end despite it running just over 3 hours. Not only is it visually striking and aurally brilliant, but I really enjoyed how Snyder paced and told the story and characters. I felt that despite not knowing anything from the source material, I got to know these characters reasonably well. There are some grand moments of action and Snyder shoots these with style and composure, never becoming over the top or confusing. He keeps the actions steady and focused. He tells the story well and gives ample back story to the main characters. And he does it with clarity and balanced pacing. I cannot begin to describe here how surprised I was that this film more or less nailed it for me from an entertaining perspective. The dark tone and very human qualities of the vilgilantes makes them very believable. The script is very tight and some parts are fairly profound but never too deep or pretentious. It simply strikes the right balance. This is possibly the best super hero/villain film I've ever seen, and it is without a doubt Snyder's best film to date. Rorschach was my favourite character. Not only is he badass, but he's the purest of them all, maintaining an inviolable principle of justice in the face of anything and everything. Thoroughly enjoyable and highly recommend. 5/5*
April 20, 2017
To long, but great action, great story, and good acting. Also probably the most faithful film adaptation of a comic book I have seen.
April 15, 2017
One of my all time favorites
½ April 10, 2017
WHAT I LIKED: Zack Snyder's 'Watchmen' is appealing for a number of reasons, but what makes it stand out amongst his filmography is how appropriately silly it is. Indeed unlike some of his more "ambitious" efforts, there's no over-egging going on here, and you get the sense it doesn't take itself too seriously for its level of sophistication. As such, when Snyder does introduce themes in such a juvenile manor, it flips by in the quirky way you feel it's designed to, as opposed to a way that shoves it down your throat with a very serious-looking mallet. Outside of that though, what makes the whole experience not only bearable but also rather successful is the characterisation, as these are genuinely human, occasionally amusing and often layered individuals who you can actually form attachments to. Couple that with some goofy visuals and an iconic style and you've got yourself a film that you can most definitely smile at, if not largely enjoy.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: Unfortunately, the amount of things Snyder tries to cram in here make it rather lengthy and extremely convoluted, and the way he delivers his themes is rather oddly comparable to the plot of 'Mamma Mia' - constantly going out of its way to allow characters to literally talk about the themes he wants to discuss, as opposed to letting it all organically flow and consequently play out properly. He may as well have let them sing about it.
VERDICT: Snyder forces a narrative from getting characters to talk about the things he wants, but at least this time it's done in a way that will have you smiling rather than sleeping.
April 1, 2017
Cool superhero movie.
March 25, 2017
After watching the film for the 4th time or so, I ended up enjoying it way too much. Snyder films are, in general terms, regular, mediocre movies. But here he can expose his potential and talent for creating visually impacting movies.
½ March 24, 2017
Very overlooked film that captures what made the graphic novel so good.
March 15, 2017
Rorschach is sure to save many of the shaky plots for this movie
½ March 11, 2017
Pretty rich and involving superhero tale that happens w/o the prerequisite bad guys but (as in the comics of old) with the heroes struggling with one another in an alternate universe from our own. Big fun.
March 10, 2017
It's hard to not admire the caliginous tone that's set up in this comic-book enmeshed world that seems to not rely on connecting to a bigger universe. Watchmen relies solely on a one-time-only experience, and Snyder gets the job done, and for the most part, he knocks it out of the park.
March 7, 2017
Very stylized movie! Zach Snyder took the acclaimed graphic novel and turned it into a thrilling and eerie film. Movies based off DC comics are always portrayed in a amazing and popular fashion. If you like the dark knight trilogy you would like this!
½ March 5, 2017
The watchmen is a film that is not like any other superhero movies to date... its dark and gritty.. and kinda leaves its imprint on you for a bit after viewing... i loved it
½ March 4, 2017
This superhero film has its own unique style and general tone and with it being based on DC characters I didn't know all that much about it was a journey of discovery over the course of three hours and even though the film doesn't manage to completely sustain itself over that runtime I wasn't bored and this film had more than enough great moments to justify that runtime. Visually this film is brilliant and not just thanks to the special effects as the way the action is shot for instance is really well done and talking of the action it is brutal, hard hitting, gloriously violent and in parts entertaining. The soundtrack is also great, nice mix of well known pop and rock songs mixed with classical music which does overshadow the score which though decent isn't all that memorable. The plot is solid enough and the script although serviceable and having mostly decent dialogue doesn't really delve deep into these characters which given the runtime is a wasted opportunity. I also like the cast, the Cold War setting is a great idea and despite the flaws this is still a likable film that given more viewings I can see becoming even more enjoyable.
March 1, 2017
I often regard this movie as the second best comic book movie of all time, right behind The Dark Knight. And I now regard this movie as too far ahead of it's time, if it were released today I can easily see a 90% rating. This movie is better than anything Marvel has put out since Spider-Man 2.
Tyler H.
February 21, 2017
Watchmen proves that Zack Snyder's gory and dark vision is continued on this film . The tone is quite advanced and complex to benefit the film but the somewhat confusing story gets in the way of the movie being a staple. Though this film is definitely a classic comic book movie that every comic book reader should read.
February 21, 2017
Grade - B
-This review is of the Director's Cut-
'Watchmen' is truly a beautiful thing to behold, with Zack Snyder really outdoing himself. It's easily his best movie to date, with a complex yet fluent narrative, great performances and an different (but awesome) soundtrack. Although its running time is far too long, the last 30 minutes are touch-and-go, and the movie has to deal with arguably too many plot points, Watchmen succeeds as both an adaptation of the graphic novel and as a movie in its own right. Definitely underrated.