Wendigo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Wendigo Reviews

May 6, 2016
oh come on! I can make a way better Wendigo than this piece of crap
½ April 16, 2014
my god, this movie is so bad... my dog could have made a really better movie! dialogues are irritating, plot is stupid, ... no words to say I hate it. don't waste your time watching it.
½ July 23, 2013
If this were a another type of film, I would have laughed at the titular character. But it is not another horror film, and I was genuinely disturbed by the creature. At the expense of sounding like too like a nerd and too unlike a film critic, I'd say that the subject of the Wendigo has always interested me, the stories about it I've always thought creepy. This film disappoints on a few levels, but for the most part, it tends the fires of my interest.
½ July 31, 2012
Fessenden forgot to write in any sort of point into this movie.

Boring, uninteresting characters, uninteresting plot, and he turned the Wendigo into some sort of generic vengeful spirit and kinda forgot that cannibalism is its main deal.
½ July 8, 2012
After watching an episode of the TV show Creepy Canada, I became interested in the myths surrounding the Wendigo. Years later I stumbled upon this movie in a DVD rental store, but I have ignored it for a while until finally renting it and giving it a shot. Well, the movie isn't really that bad. It is slow at times, some of the effects are really cheap, but it has suspense, and it really got a bit of a reaction from me. At times the movie kept me interested, and in between the interesting parts I did other things. Overall, the movie is neither bad nor good, but I do feel it would please most people. I give it 2.5 stars.
½ September 23, 2011
This film sucked the sweat off of a dead reindeer's ball sack and spits it back in your face in the form of smelly ice sickles that pierce your skull and causes great agony. Only see this film if you like pain...DEEP PAIN!
½ July 8, 2011
indie horror film could have been a straight-out scarefest if it weren't for a third act that trades all the suspense and tension created for a monstrous deer. We're introduced to a family of three: George (Jake Weber), Kim (Patricia Clarkson), and their young boy Miles (Erik Per Sullivan), who are spending the winter weekend at a cabin in the woods. On their way there they hit a deer and run into an unstable hunter. The next day, they go into the town and Miles is given a small wooden figure, which he's told is a Wendigo, a Native American spirit with an insatiable hunger. The boy has nightmares about the unstable hunter and Wendigo, which are the film's highlight. These sequences are grade-A horror, perfectly horrifying and scary. Unfortunately in the film's third act, director Larry Fessenden brings out the Wendigo, which is much less scary than what we imagine it to be. He also ends the film without answering any of our questions about the outcome of some of the characters or the reason why the Wendigo is in the film. Fessenden could have either left the Wendigo off screen completely, leaving us more unsettled and creeped out, or he could have shown us the Wendigo and advanced the plot by explaining it's purpose in the film. As it is, the film feels like it's about a family dealing with an unhappy hunter; the Wendigo is unnecessary and when we're introduced to this devilishly interesting creature and then given nothing more than a warning about it, we feel cheated. Regardless, I recommend Wendigo because it contains some of the scariest scenes I've ever seen in a movie. The soundtrack is perfectly seductive and mysterious and the acting is top-notch. The cinematographer Terry Stacey should also be complemented on his beautiful depiction of the snowy woods. This film reminded me of The Shining, in it's setting, and The Blair Witch Project, for it's realistic "there's something in the woods" feel. Wendigo is one the scariest horror films in recent memory, it' on a shame it's third act drags it down from being a masterpiece.
½ April 30, 2011
BORING!!!! THAT SUCKS!!!
½ February 25, 2011
Poor plot ..poor direction..poor screenplay...poor story...
January 6, 2011
Interesting story about a family thats spending a few days in a cabin but realise some blokes family lived there and he's being a bit of a dick about it. When the familys young son gets given this little wooden doll thing called a Wendigo by a mysrterious man weird shit starts to go down. Accept it doesn't! Not for ages anyway. This takes far to long to get going, only becoming interesting in the last 15 mins so just as your getting into it, it ends. Thers a couple of good bits, like when you see the Wendigo creature but overall, this is just boring and could have been so much better.
December 20, 2010
"Wendigo"s heart seems to be in the right place but it can't pump any blood.
½ December 15, 2010
I find it difficult to care about an ANNOYINGLY liberal, white, middle-class family stuck between offensively cliched caractertures of rural town folks and an opaque representation of a pretty cool mythological creature. The film is further affected, negatively, by the fact that the son is played by the same child actor who plays 'Dewey' on televion's "Malcolm in the Middle." I found myself waiting for him to say something funny. Unfortunately that never happens...Some of the camera work is quite good and interesting, though.
½ November 10, 2010
I wanted to poke my eyes out after watching this pile of hot garbage.
October 19, 2010
Larry Fessenden crafts an almost 70's feeling film with this tale of the city folks out of their element at a remote cabin, where they naturally run afoul of the locals and the titular foreboding Indian spirit that lives in the woods.

Moody and atmospheric, this is a great little indie horror film, well worth a look.
July 12, 2010
i cant tell you what this piece of shits about because its about nothing, something to do with a little indian doll, and some kid keeps seeing images of some indian cheif guy but it doesnt explain anything it's all jumbled up nothing makes sense, image after image, pointless scene after pointless seen, then the ending credits....

Well this is the kind of movie that starts off as if it could be good but halfway through nothing happens then when something does happen theres still hope, but it just gets so ridiculous, like all these flashing images but you wont no what anything is too do with, its a complete mess. One of the boringest and just worst horror's ever, Whoever put this together missed every piece to the puzzle. hmm 0.5 out of 10 lol.
July 1, 2010
"I dug you out of that ditch...you could have asked!" Otis Stookey -- John Speredakos

Pretty much an unknown film that gets constantly overlooked... for good reason. I'm going to throw this out right now: I'm not criticising this film for not having a big budget. Though I can't find even a guess as to how much this film cost to make, it's evident that it didn't cost a lot. It's an independent film, which is why I'm not criticising it for the budget. However, just because it's an independent film does not mean I'm just going to go easy on it. I feel that you should be able to make a good film, regardless the amount of money behind you. The fact of the matter is that Wendigo wasn't a horror film that needed lots of money behind it, so the fact that it doesn't work too well isn't due to the fact that it had little money behind it.

George is a high-strung professional photographer, starting to unravel from the stress of working with a Manhattan advertising agency. Needing to take a break away from the city, George takes his wife Kim and their son Miles upstate to New York, to enjoy the winter sights. The drive up though is bad. George accidentally hits and injures a deer that ran into the road. Confronted by an angry hunter, Otis, he finds out that that specific deer had been hunted for a long time. When they finally arrive at the cabin, Miles is told by a shopkeeper about the legend of the Wendigo. It doesn't take Miles long to wonder if the creature he has been told about is responsible for the misfortunes that his family are having. I want to point out that Wendigo isn't a commonly known word, and it takes the film over half an hour to explain to us what the word means. Seriously, try going up to someone and asking them what a Wendigo is. The grand majority of people I asked had no clue what I was talking about, and those that did only knew because they had a strong interest in mythical creatures. The Wendigo is a beast from Indiana Folklore: a Half-Man and Half-Deer that can change itself at will. Would you know what one is if you didn't just read it? No. As much as I appreciate the fact that it isn't giving us a flat out explanation straight-away, there's no hint as to figure out what one means. Also, I said that it takes about half an hour for the film to explain it. It's 34 minutes to be exact. The film is 1 hour and 28 minutes, including credits. The first 34 minutes of the film should be used to introduce us to the characters in a way that we actually care about them; especially considering it waits a while to reveal the basic plot to us. Though the film is short, it's for the most part dull. It moves along at a very slow pace, and when something actually happens, it doesn't stick strongly in your mind at all. One of the biggest themes of the film is all about a child's imagination. It's a very cliché memory for a lot of children where they have a Sweatshirt hanging in a closet, but it looks like a monster in the dark. Wendigo tries to pull that same thing off, but what it does is very similar to Alice in Wonderland. For most of the film, we are supposed to wonder whether or not these Wendigo scenes are actually happening, or whether it's all in Miles's head; much like in Alice in Wonderland where we're supposed to wonder whether or not there ever was a Wonderland. As much as this approach could have been pretty good; the film fails at exploring it as well as it could have. There's no part of the film that motivates you to make an interpretation of your own, because you genuinely don't care. If we at all cared for the characters, then maybe we would have. Not to mention, there are certain events that kind of break the illusion of these Wendigo scenes possibly being real. I'm not going to reveal the ending, because it's something I don't like to do in a review, but the scenes that make ruin the illusion aren't very well put into the plot. The film constantly tries to get inside your mind and see the logical side of things... that you'd guess yourself anyway. The way it compares the Wendigo story to Mr. Freeze from Batman and Dr. Evil from Austin Powers (direct references from the film), shows you just how much it's trying to appeal to the common pop culture crowd. Also, it's stupid. "They're just stories in your head". The difference between the Wendigo and the villains that were mentioned is that the Wendigo is an ancient Indian myth, whereas the others are fictional character created in the basis of entertainment. Did you ever see an ancient Indian scroll that engraved the immortal line "I'll get you Mr. Powers... isn't that right Mini-Me". Even if you cared, there's no point in making your own interpretation like the film encourages you to, because it's not done very well. Why should we put effort ourselves into interpreting the film, if the film-makers can't be bothered to make it a redeemable experience. It's a shame, because I really liked the premise of the film; just not the execution of it.

The film tries to be artsy a lot of the time. Towards the end of the film, there's a montage displaying different Camera angles that don't fit a moving story, as well as vibrant visuals. It's all an attempt to sell the fantasy mystery surrounding of the Wendigo, and a metaphorical way of showing you just how unusual and unpredictable the creature would be if it for sure existed. It doesn't do the film well though, and it's clear that it's trying to go for that artsy excuse to redeem itself. Like I mentioned, the budget for this film is very small from what I can guess. This meant that they didn't have much to spend on the effects for the Wendigo creature. The way I see it though, if you're going to make a big deal of showing us something, makes sure it's good enough to see. If you want to use the bad effect well at all; make sure you use it in moderation. When the Wendigo appears on screen, they try desperately to scare you. It's hard to be scared though of an effect that looks like it belongs in an 80's American restaurant. You know the one's I'm talking about. The ones that have animatronics that do performances on stage. Things like Chuckecheese. It's not until the end that it piles on these special effects, because until the end it just shows us what we're supposed to think of as Antlers of the Wendigo. They just look like sticks, and its clear how desperate the director wants you to think it as the Wendigo because of the shaky cam used. Nothing screams desperation than imitation of an infamous scene from the Blair Witch Project. In fact, at times it seems to be going for the Blair Witch Project vibe: regular people coming across a creature thought to be myth. The camera doesn't show the creature in full much, and we're meant to be scared of what possibly could happen, as to what does happen. Even the ending, with the mystery that it has, screams Last Broadcast wannabe.

The performances in Wendigo are downright terrible. George is played by Jake Weber, whom I have only seen in his small role in Born on the Fourth July. Weber isn't very good in this film; the dialogue he is given is terrible, but the way he delivers doesn't sound like normal speech. Patricia Wilson is terrible too. There are parts of the film where she's meant to be confused and terrified, but it's totally unconvincing. One thing in particular about her performance is when she has to swear. Granted, I dislike when horror films swear for the sake of it, but when Wilson delivers a swear word, it doesn't sound like any normal way of saying it. It sounds like she's putting way too much emphasis on it. I can't really describe it in words, but if you watch the film, you can see her putting so much strength into those specific words. Also, and this isn't the main problem with her performance, but she seems to be miscast down to her looks. She looks a lot older than the character should be. Miles is played by Erik Per Sullivan, who is most famous for playing the role of the little brother in Malcolm in the Middle. I don't remember much about the series, because I never watched much of it, but I know that Erik was ok in that. In this, he's gives a poor performance, and doesn't seem to react the way that a child would in these situations. I know people seem to think that children are incapable of pulling off convincing emotions in films, but I argue for Haley Joel Osment in the Sixth Sense. With that performance, we saw the fear that the character was going through, but it wasn't an over-the-top performance. We believe him, but you don't believe Sullivan. The people in the village are meant to be portrayed as crazy, and would you know that they aren't portrayed very well. While performances about crazy people are meant to be over the top, they're also meant to be convincing. This is something that the performances in this are not.

Wendigo is not a good example of independent film-making, because it seems to be attempting to be a strong horror film, up there with some of the best of recent years. Because it tries too hard to do this, it begins to fail at being the film that it could have been. It's an extreme disappointment, and isn't a film I'd recommend to anyone but the hardcore horror buffs; but event then it's not something I think could be enjoyed.

Andrew's rating: 2 out of 10
June 27, 2010
Wendigo may have a chilling atsmophere , but it can't do anything with it.
½ May 2, 2010
Thought it was going to be good
May 1, 2010
A lot of people seem to hate this movie, and I guess I can see why, but I thought Larry Fessenden did a superb job telling the dramas of family connection (or lack there of) while using the myth of the wendigo as a back drop. The cinematography right from the start sucked me in. Beautiful snowy landscapes littered with decrepit dead trees. The atmosphere was very well done. So odd to the point I can't even explain it. And the images of the wendigo were very haunting and surreal. It's a shame that most people shrug this off as a lame attempt at a horror movie. Because when watched with the right eyes it's a film that succeds on a few levels and a film, at least to me, that is very effective.
½ January 26, 2010
Surprisingly interesting. For a "B" movie, and that's what this is, kept me entertained and had me curious what would happen next. It did lack some flare, but the story was compelling and the acting was good. I would have liked it a lot more if the story was more in depth and had more visual elements.