Wendy and Lucy Reviews

• Apr 05, 2019

The most disturbing thing about this film is the feeling one gets that Wendy is doomed. She's never going to make it to Alaska. Heck, she's wearing shorts in the final scene in the boxcar. She may be on a journey where the fate is worse than death.

• Jan 03, 2019

What is the purpose of this?

What is the purpose of this?

• Jul 18, 2017

Kelly Reichardt's movies are probably an acquired taste. Some use the word "minimalist" to describe them but I'm not exactly sure what it means in this context (anti-Hollywood, for sure). If it signifies that there's not much going on in her movies, just plainly told stories of everyday events, unfolding slowly and shot with a clear-eyed skill in observation, then OK. However, less is often more, as they say and, if you give in to them, Reichardt's mundane stories somehow become sublime. Perhaps it is her eye for beautiful compositions that heightens the experience or the inner resolve that her characters have or need to muster. Wendy (Michelle Williams) is on her way to Alaska in a junky old car with her dog, Lucy. She seems to have very little money, sleeping in her car, washing up in gas station restrooms. Her relations with other people seem strained. And, of course, somewhere near Portland, OR, things go wrong (she loses Lucy among other trials). Apart from Williams, many or most of the other actors seem to be non-professionals and the action takes place on the streets (or in the woods) in real locations. What happens to Wendy could happen to you or me, if things took a wrong turn. The desperation is real and Reichardt is wise not to sensationalize it.

• Mar 30, 2017

Wendy and Lucy is a slice-of-life drama about a woman who hits some roadblocks when she stops in a small town on her way to Alaska. This film is extremely slow to develop. The script doesn’t give us much detail about Wendy or why she is doing anything. There are subtle hints laid out as the movie progresses but if you like to know back story, motivations, or any significant detail about the main character when you watch a movie, then this one will infuriate you. I actually found it relatively tolerable, mostly because I kept expecting there would be a big reveal. When the movie ended and I still felt like I knew as little about Wendy as I did when the movie started, I was a little disappointed. The events that happen to Wendy are very human struggles, and that aspect at least allows us to connect with her and feel sympathy for what she is going through. The overall feel of Michelle Williams’ performance was very melancholy, and since every single moment revolves around her, the whole film had the same tone. This is the second movie I’ve seen that was directed by Kelly Reichardt and it seems she likes making movies that don’t have big moments. There are no dramatic swells in this movie, but I suppose that makes it feel more authentic or real-to-life. What it doesn’t do is make the movie fun to watch. Wendy and Lucy held my attention for the full run-time, but didn’t impact me in any way even in the most emotional moments.

• Mar 23, 2017

A tiny movie that isn't for everyone. Tells a story about a girl and how she loses her dog. Then she goes about the entire movie trying to find the dog. Its really a movie about being really really desperate because you have no money. Michelle Williams is amazing as usual. If it wasn't for her it wouldn't have been good.

• Feb 13, 2017

A short, and sweet attempt at a low-budget drama. A Kelly Reichardt classic, so it's become. Michelle Williams is very good in this, and so is Lucy. Standout moments include the scene in the park where Wendy is confronted by a crazed homeless person. But dammit if I'm not a sap when it comes to sad dog movies. It was a hard watch. Not to mention, that some sections were downright slow and uneventful. Meh.

• Nov 27, 2016

As of now, "Wendy and Lucy" is my least favorite Kelly Reichardt film. Not that it was a bad movie, it's just it was an emotionally grueling film to watch. Michelle Williams gives a brave and heartbreaking performance as Wendy, and I love Reichardt's observational approach to its story. "Wendy and Lucy" is somewhat a tough film to sit through, and you might find it even more frustrating if you were not familiar with Reichardt's style.

• Feb 06, 2016

Michelle Williams. looking a lot like Jesse Eisenberg here, gives probably her most underrated performance as a drifter barely surviving in her lonely and friendless existence in this minimalistic arthouse picture.

• Jan 19, 2016

A showcase for Michelle Williams' ample talents; small, intimate and somber.

A showcase for Michelle Williams' ample talents; small, intimate and somber.

• Dec 02, 2015

Masters the dragging frustration of the character with the overly long shots, and Michelle Williams' silent, growing portrayal of being beaten down as the movie goes on is so subtle and clear. Risky, and super effective.