What If Reviews

• Aug 28, 2019

To me, it started as a date movie, and then ended up being entirely different, something more. What If Dowse does not seem like a complete fanatic for the mushy gushy romance that Hollywood is infamous and criticized for. He doesn't particularly love the idea of a rainy Saturday evening with warm coffee in bed and Meg Ryan on TV. And maybe that's why, that's the only reason why this film works. I am going to skip way ahead now and give you an example of a scene that basically comes at the end of the film. No spoilers, but there is a scenario in the film where even someone "outsider" as the director Michael Dowse from this world, has to drop all his guards and give in to that ultimate date movie scene. And even though he tries with incredible slow camera work and other parlor tricks, he fails to conjure the audience as any other Hugh Grant film would and does. Danielle Radcliff as Wallace and Zoe Kazan as Chantry are the only ones driving the scene to home for us. Another reason why the film succeeds is the safe and secure fall of the film, after Dowse pushes it away from being starry eyed. And this push lands on a pillow whose origin is from that very awkward feeling of running away and bumping into crass slapstick humor. And holding that side of the line is Adam Driver and Mackenzie Davis as a raunchy couple outdoing themselves in each scenario leading our lead couple into trouble- that silence in the car is the highlight of the film. They are the textbook supporting cast of the romcom genre, their goofiness sculpts into a deep prosperous enlightening theme. What If is the most spookiest name I have ever heard of a film especially considering the fact that, to this day, I don't get the title, at all.

• Jun 17, 2019

Worst of all the Netflix series I have watched so far, gets more boring the further you get into it

• Jun 15, 2019

This is one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen. And Zoe Kazan ... such a lovable girl ....

• May 29, 2019

The line about nachos from Adam Driver is one of my all-time favorite deliveries of a line. Strong performances all around.

• Apr 26, 2019

A little drawn out in parts but overall it's cute, funny, sweet, different and fun. Great actors, great chemistry. A cute take on a When Harry Met Sally plot.

• Feb 06, 2019

What If, a.k.a. The F Word, a.k.a. Don't Take Any Advice From Your Friends, Ever, has plenty of great jokes and smart, snappy dialogue that most people only wished they could conjure up in real life situations, but also the kind of rom-com cliches that rendered the genre inert and insufferable for years. Daniel Radcliffe and Zoe Kazan are charming actors with a lot of talent and, hopefully, very bright careers ahead of them, and they do the best they can with what they're given. But the film too often succumbs to formula and triteness. I wanted so badly for it to subvert my expectations and do something unpredictable, but we still have all the classic arguments and breakups that have plagued the genre. Despite this, I still enjoyed watching it, since it has such a talented cast who all look like they're having fun. The banter is what makes the film work, and it wouldn't surprise me if the majority of the funniest exchanges were improvised. It does have a lot working against it, but those are mostly limitations imposed on it by its genre. It's funny, paced well and offers up a few lessons along the way. Namely, if your friends try to help you in any way, ignore what they say and run as fast as you can away from them.

• Brendan N Super Reviewer
    Jan 01, 2019

Radcliffe and Kazan work perfectly together and carry the film through some of the sluggish beats. Romantic comedy films are a dime a dozen, but if you have the right casting choices it will go a long way. The witty writing is what carries the film and the filmmaker allows the characters to interract with the surroundings. The one thing I hate about films is that they aren't self aware. Think about it. How often do you watch a film and the characters are just invested in the script. Pop culture and 80 years of storytelling history is at our finger tips. What If exploits the barrier and enjoys balancing the story with references from other films, and this is why it succeeds. A great film, but the cliche conclusion hurts the film. 31/12/2018.

• Dec 19, 2018

It's a fun, romantic, funny, relatable story that builds our confidence just by watching this movie. Wish that I could see more of the animated sequences a little bit more though, fun too watch. While watching this, I put myself in Adam Driver's, and Daniel Radcliffe's character in myself because, well I myself could relate to their characters. I'm sometimes an Asshole, a kind person, awkward person, and I struggle with relationships. I couldn't enjoy the film more without those characters. I want to see more movies like this in the future, and I can't wait to accomplish that.

• Oct 29, 2018

Absolutely loved this film. It's just a feel-good film.

Absolutely loved this film. It's just a feel-good film.

• Aug 03, 2018

Such a real, sweet movie. Truly witty .

Such a real, sweet movie. Truly witty .