When Marnie Was There Reviews

• 5d ago

I'm not really sure why this never gets high marks as the other Ghibli films. This movie is so masterfully done in bringing the character and the audience on a journey. At the core of the movie is a character, Anna, that doesn't believe she is loved. In her mind, she has ever reason to believe this is true - she was abandoned when her parents died, and has just found out that her adoptive mother gets subsidies to care for her. The movie then brings you on a journey with her to show her that she really is loved. How? Spoilers: Her grandmother, Marnie, loved her and the entire movie is putting her into the love story between her grandmother and grandfather. I know some people see this as incestuous but it's not...It's just Freudian. I view it as her grandmother's love coming through to her. On top of that, Anna is clearly gay. I remember watching this film the first time thinking it was subtext. On a rewatch, I was wrong. It's not subtext. It's supertext. It's so very clear that Anna is gay. Between her love interest relationship with Marnie and the fact that she feels so ostracized to the story taking place during Japanese Valentine's Day (Tanabata), which is based on two lovers separated by a river. Anyway, this film is a masterpiece. A masterwork in how to tell a story simply, beautifully, and profoundly.

• Nov 12, 2020

Certainly less magical then most other Ghibli films, but I felt really attached to Anna. Some things may leave something to be desired, but I highly recommend seeing this movie.

• Sep 24, 2020

It tries to balance so many issues that confuse and trivialize. Foster children, lesbian undertones, ghosts, puberty, mushrooms and all geared to children? I'm still confused. It was almost inspiring with the Japanese culture, music and art.

• Sep 08, 2020

When Marnie was there is a deeply moving and beautiful movie. No other movies than this and Grave of the fireflies have made me cry so much... Luckily When Marnie was there has a happy ending, although Marnie herself has quite a tragic fate.

• Jul 25, 2020

A touching look at family, friendship, and foster care that elicits plenty of emotion but can't help but feel slightly incomplete; a few of the characters' stories feel either unresolved or unexplored. The story is sweet, if occasionally a bit obvious and less hard-hitting than those of some other Ghibli films; Anna's problems are rectified almost too neatly for my taste (one of the last lines she speaks in the film is, "I'm really happy now"). I imagine the story will still resonate quite well with those who have undergone a similar experience, though. (3.5/5)

• Jul 15, 2020

A beautiful masterpiece both visually and narratively, with a charming love story and thought-provoking themes, despite it doesn't reach the high standards of Studio Ghibli's best works.

• Jul 15, 2020

So beautiful!!! 😁 😁 Sad 😔

So beautiful!!! 😁 😁 Sad 😔

• Jun 21, 2020

This story was pretty great all round. Mysterious atmosphere, leading towards a rather satisfying round-off ending which resolves the questions thrown up throughout (such as Poirot gathering suspects in a parlour room to reveal the murderer). Ethereal and intriguing. Appreciated the protagonist being flawed and struggling with her confidence and self-identity to paint a complex character. Speaking of painting, also a fan of illustrations and watercolours being used as an outlet of expression for our central character, neatly 'drawn' into the story line

• Apr 25, 2020

Even when Studio Ghibli delivers just more of the same, it is still a compelling adventure that sparkles with its typical magical touch.

• Apr 14, 2020

Speachless, that last scene was just, beautiful, its been a long time since i cryied like this.