Whip It Reviews

• Jun 21, 2020

I love the story (the book is great as well). Page is fantastic and the supporting staff (although not given all that much to do) are great.

• May 19, 2020

Fantastic coming-of-age story in the underutilised setting of roller derby. Every member of the cast was hand-picked to knock the script out of the park, and Drew Barrymore's double-duty as director and Smashley only makes it crystal clear she's a treasure. If there's any downside, it's that it runs a little long for the story it tells, but honestly most won't notice because the movie's so much fun. Definitely an underappreciated gem.

• Mar 31, 2020

This was a movie that invoked my rebellious side and inspired me to reach for the stars. It's a funny, cute film about friendship and hard work. I appreciate it a lot.

• Oct 25, 2018

Inspiring. Will make you want to go grab a pair of skates and hit the asphalt.

Inspiring. Will make you want to go grab a pair of skates and hit the asphalt.

• Oct 06, 2018

It just isn't that funny or interesting to watch.

It just isn't that funny or interesting to watch.

• Jul 13, 2018

One of the most entertaining movies I have ever seen, Whip It takes a formula that has been used to death, and somehow makes it new again. Drew Barrymore knocks it out of the park in her only directorial effort (she needs to direct another movie), and the performances are fantastic. Ellen Page shows again that she is the best actress working, and is incredibly believable as Bliss Cavendar, a young girl who wants to break away from her stage mothers agenda, and does this by joining a Roller Derby team. If I was asked by a friend to recommend a movie that would keep them entertained the entire time, this would be the film I would say. Not often do you find a lighthearted, well-written, well-acted, effortlessly entertaining movie, but this is one. Go see it.

• Jun 27, 2018

Pretty good movie starring Ellen page about skating. The story a little generic and bland but Ellen page is the best.

• May 31, 2018

a vigorous and loud whipping.. Whip It The game is intriguing and layered enough to invest in it and fortunately the maker too goes deep into it, keeping it a bit mellow and breezy alongside it. The structure of the script is rudimentary yet thoroughly pleasing and entertaining where each tiny factor is serving a greater purpose than it seems. The adaptation for screen by Shauna Cross (who wrote the original novel) isn't smart as it lacked better editing in it. For a debut director of a major motion picture, Drew Barrymore is a talent in her own depiction; offering a promising potential for future projects, she has done an adequate job. Drew plays it safe in here and follows the typical formula and embarks upon it step by step and reaches for the goal swiftly with confidence. It certainly is not your typical teenage feature but definitely leans towards it in some sequences but all of it is allowed as far as the audience is enjoying it and no one minds it. The feature is strong on performance level by the protagonist Ellen Page and her brilliant supporting cast like Kirsten Wiig, Drew Barrymore and even Jimmy Fallon on occasions; he is hilarious in here. Whip It has a vigorous and loud whipping coming from all the sides where the makers do raise appropriate questions through a fun nail-biting game sequences that keeps the audience on the edge of the seat.

• Jan 13, 2017

Ang kulit ni Drew. Haha~ Galeng.

Ang kulit ni Drew. Haha~ Galeng.

• Nov 22, 2016

I really enjoyed it. thanks to my daughter for putting it on.

I really enjoyed it. thanks to my daughter for putting it on.