The White Balloon (Badkonake sefid) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The White Balloon (Badkonake sefid) Reviews

June 6, 2016
Probably one of the best endings of any film ever.
September 19, 2013
Wednesday, September 18, 2013

(1995) The White Balloon
(In Persian with English subtitles)
FAMILY DRAMA

7 year old Iranian girl sees a goldfish she likes and tries to get it even if it meant sacrificing some of her own things which also includes a balloon and future gifts. It's nice to see other kids of other countries that are no different than ours. Small little film about something that can be important to children but not important to adults makes it much more genuine to watch.

3 out of 4 stars
½ March 2, 2013
Simplicity gives rise to eternal beauty....
½ February 25, 2013
Several people try to take advantage of a little girl's innocence to hustle money her mom gave to her to buy a goldfish with.
October 9, 2012
Some of those films that has a simple but enthralling story.
½ July 4, 2012
Iranian film 'The White Balloon' can be this great and entertaining is beyond explanation. This is such cute story of a girl who loses her money and she is determined to get it before her parents find out. For this she needs help of her brother of her age. It is really exciting to see how people come to help her, most notably the balloon-selling boy. A tender story!
June 14, 2012
watched this when i was feeling sick and had a day off school... it only takes place on like 2 streets but it kept me wondring... it was sort of like you was on the quest for the fish as well.... i liked this movie because it was just realistic and like an everyday event that people can go through
June 1, 2012
Written by Kiarostami, directed by Panahi. Enough said.
January 11, 2012
A definitive lesson in people management.
½ July 21, 2011
A poignant movie where resembles a lot to Children of Heaven..
Need to watch it carefully to feel the story..
I think I just fell in love with Persian language especially the young girl's intonation.. ;)
April 30, 2011
'The sea is rough, brother, the sea is rough...'
April 21, 2011
the greatest family movie ever
April 9, 2011
Simple and cute movie....
½ April 1, 2011
What a beautiful movie! I love the kid in this film...
½ December 3, 2010
Outstanding debut from controversial Iranian filmmaker Panahi. The film concerns a young girl who wishes to have a different goldfish for the New Year celebrations occurring that day. Her goldfish apparently are just not good enough. With the help of her brother, she gets some money from her mother to acquire the goldfish of her desires, but her plans are interrupted in her journey to get the fish. The film unfolds in real time and takes place in the streets of Tehran. It examines a cross-section of the people that inhabit the city. We certainly feel for the young girl in her plight to get the fish - her childhood innocence vs. that of a city full of people with other matters on their mind. The dialogue and scenario rings perfectly true with Panahi's neorealist style creating the perfect way to capture this story. The child actors give stirring and completely believable performances. The final statement of the film is absolutely fantastic and completely unexpected. Never a dull moment and an outstanding example of terrific Middle East cinema.
November 14, 2010
just saw this movie last night on TV and wow man i completely loved it. such simple yet memorable. a sweet slow paced movie. The girl was just superb, such a little girl but such a great performance. its about a girl who wants to buy a goldfish and things that happen between is a part of this movie i loved how this movie has been made on such simple and small thing and turns out very good.
October 12, 2010
This is my first film directed by Jafar Panahi, but I would say the more important credit is that it was written by Abbas Kiarostami. The film plays out much like Where Is My Friend's Home?, using a child with a very simple problem to illustrate the interactions of a community. You can't think of a much more stripped-down premise than "little girl wants to buy a goldfish", but Panahi & Kiarostami mine it for plenty of tension, insight and subtle social commentary. The fleeting hints at something sinister going on with the father (the son appears with unexplained bruises, the mysterious "second job") are intriguing. I must confess that the significance of the balloon vendor's ethnicity entirely escaped me until I started reading the IMDb message board, but I think you would have to be from the area to pick up on it. This is a terrific movie that does an awful lot with so little, and features some excellent, understated performances.
½ August 19, 2010
One of my favorite foreign films of all time. Razieh is one of the most memorable character in recent memory. There are so many good scenes. Like when she finds the snake and the snake charmer. Or when she struggles to get the dollar from the gutter she dropped it in. The entire battle to get the gold fish. The weird creepy soldier at the end. Her brother acting like a mad man. God damn fine movie. This got me into middle eastern films more. Great Concept, Great Execution!
July 2, 2010