Whitney Reviews

• Aug 12, 2019

Documentaries such as these have almost become a tired cliche. A person from a poor background has tremendous talent and wants to get into the business. They manage to finally get their break and everything starts off great. The person experience success beyond even the wildest imagination. Everything seems to be perfect....until it's not. For the most part, I just told you the basic structure of 98% of the episodes of VH-1's popular series "Behind the Music". With that being said that does not mean such documentaries are bad. "Whitney" is one of the better documentaries of its type. I think the film does a good job of trying to get to the root causes of the late Whitney Houston's problems which ultimately lead to her untimely and tragic death in 2012. The interviews with family members and close friends are well done also and help give the audience an insight to the troubled singer's life and times. The fact that Whitney's daughter, her only child, died under tragically similar circumstances makes this story even more sad. Once the documentary ended, I felt I had a better understanding of what caused Whitney Houston's may problems that ultimately cost her everything. I think you will feel the same way after you have watched it. I recommend you do.

• Jul 20, 2019

Extensive documentary follows the success story of a truly singular talent, her dowfall and the harrowing and saddening last years before her premature death.

• May 08, 2019

Very nice documentary concerning Whitney Houston. Especially unhappy story music stars. I didn't even know that Whitney had a daughter. And she also does not live.

• Mar 11, 2019

Really in depth and raw documentary of one of my favorite singers!!! It was kind of sad to see that her life was almost cursed from the beginning of her stardom!!!

• Feb 19, 2019

it does present some answers but Can I be me is the better one.

it does present some answers but Can I be me is the better one.

• Feb 02, 2019

Everyone should watch Whitney in this documentary. Wow.....Where I wonder would Whitney be now, if still on earth.

• Jan 15, 2019

The interviews collected for this documentary are wonderfully honest and insightful but the overall construction of the film leaves a little to be desired. I know it's not easy to encapsulate the entire life and career of a superstar into two hours but this attempt feels like it missed some opportunities to celebrate her life and examine her downfall in a more digestible way. That being said it's still an entertaining watch for anyone who found joy in her incredible voice - I just wished for something more.

Philip P Super Reviewer
    Dec 10, 2018

There have been a lot of documentaries around a lot of tragic celebrity figures recently and it would be easy to lump "Whitney" into this category where it's not hard to predict the beats and insights we can expect to get out of it-I certainly assumed a fair amount prior to walking into the film. That said, and I'm a sucker for music docs and music biopics, "Whitney" is a fascinating look into the life of a global superstar who everyone assumes they know because of this iconic status. The key word there obviously being "assumes" as director Kevin Macdonald (The Last King of Scotland, Marley) smartly presents the story of Houston's life as we thought we knew it and then brings the audience around to the possible truths of the matter as those being interviewed (mostly Houston's close friends and relatives) came to realize certain truths themselves. In doing so, Macdonald essentially comes to pose a theory by way of what is revealed and how these revelations fueled the demons that it always seemed Whitney Houston never possessed. What is referred to as a "double consciousness" is something that seeps its way into every facet of Houston's being and is rather captivating given her life trajectory. Houston was raised in the church, but saw her mother have an affair (with the preacher, no less). She was raised in East Orange, New Jersey-a middle-class suburb-and went to a private all-girls Catholic school, but had roots in Newark. She was bullied in school, but found solace in a single female friend, Robyn Crawford. There was who she was, who she wanted to be, and who she was supposed to be. This only carried into Houston's pop career when she was ultimately bullied by the black community for diverting from her Gospel routes with her troubled relationship and eventual marriage to Bobby Brown seeming more a direct rebuttal to these criticisms than anything else. This is without even going into the topics of her sexuality, her drug use, her role as a mother, her relationship with her father, and how her outlook on each of these aspects of life were influenced from the very beginning. Fortunately, the documentary weaves each of these strands together in expert fashion into a single, complete picture painting a portrait of Houston we've never seen before, but that makes so much more sense and makes her story all the more tragic. There are a handful of quotes given by family members throughout the doc and one by her brother, Gary Garland, that is especially poignant that I won't repeat here as you can hear it in the trailer, but the one that stuck with me most went something along the lines of, "If you don't know yourself, you don't know what can save you." It's hard to believe that in her core, in her soul, Whitney Houston didn't have a solid idea of who she was, but through this portrait Macdonald paints it seems he's landed firmly in the camp that believes Houston was always chasing who she thought she was supposed to be until she didn't care anymore and instead of simply being who she truly was rebelled against that image of who people expected her to be to the point it killed her. Other elements of note are that of how piercing the montage set to "I Wanna Dance with Somebody (Who Loves Me)" comes to be given the reflective nature it is set within and how promising and buoyant young Houston seemed to be. Macdonald also consistently cuts to world events going on at the time of the events the doc is chronicling in the life of Houston as if to lend both a sense of perspective and understanding of the circumstances of that time period; most prominently is that of the fact Houston and her brother, Michael, didn't think of marijuana or cocaine as bad words coming into the eighties...it was just something everyone was doing. Macdonald also acknowledges the tragedy of Houston's daughter, Bobbi Kristina, and that poor, poor baby's incomprehensible childhood and the eventual hardships and misfortunes it bred. Finally, I've seen Houston's star-spangled banner performance a handful of times, but when this film touches on what made her rendition of it so powerful (which in and of itself is really interesting and insightful) I still got chills...twice.

• Nov 12, 2018

Interesting documentary if you love Whitney Houston and does offer some insight into her life. Interviews with her family and those closer to her offer new perspectives. But I left still not getting the whole story. Bobby Brown adamantly refuses to talk about her drug use on this film, but then turns around in an interview with Good Morning America about all the drugs they took. Makes it feel like there are still some pieces missing from the film. But overall it was well done and interesting.

• Oct 19, 2018

Whitney was such a beautiful soul. But the greedy devils around her, particularly her father (who broke her heart BIG TIME), they let her down. This documentary isn't clear as to why her best friend Robyn suddenly dropped out of her life. But it was mentioned that Whitney might still be with us today, had Robyn still been around. That's not to say she is to blame for Whitney's death; it was because she was a grounding influence on Whitney. Interviews with her bodyguard revealed a lot. When he approached her management team (her parents/family) in trying to save her from the drugs and bad influencers, he was dismissed. I guess they believed that saving her from the drugs would stop the gravy train $$$. Shameful excuse for parents, a cheating husband on top of it. Poor Whitney. She never stood a chance with these devils.