The Whole Ten Yards - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Whole Ten Yards Reviews

October 13, 2016
Never stopped laughing. Loved the characters in this almost better than the first.
August 21, 2016
8/21/2016: Not as good as the first one, but it was still entertaining.
½ June 26, 2016
Why the hell did they make this movie?  Does anyone know what's going on for the entire length of this movie?  'Cause I sure as hell didn't.
April 3, 2016
You might be shooting blanks...

A Hungarian mob boss recently released from prison is targeted by Oz's ex-hit boss wife who gets kidnapped in the process. His wife seems to be having a flame of some sorts with her ex-husband, Jimmy the Tulip, who can't get it up for his current wife, his former hit-girl in training. Jimmy springs out of retirement to save his ex-wife and gets his old friends together to "help" him...

"Don't correct a rule..."

Howard Deutch, director of Pretty in Pink, Some Kind of Wonderful, The Great Outdoors, Article 99, The Replacements, Grumpier Old Men, The Odd Couple II, and My Best Friend's Girl, delivers The Whole Ten Yards. The storyline for this picture is below average and reminded me of Be Cool. The comedic content is also below par and the acting is just alright. The cast includes Bruce Willis, Matthew Perry, Amanda Peet, Kevin Pollack, and Natasha Henstridge.

"A homicidal maniac acting totally crazy? What a surprise..."

I recently came across this on Netflix and was shocked I had never seen it or wrote a review on this before. Well, I wasn't missing much. The content, comedic material, and acting are all below par. I didn't love the first picture...and this one was worse. I recommend skipping this.

"Shit happens, alright?"
"Oh yeah, watch this shit happen..."

Grade: C-
½ February 10, 2016
Silly, and quite disappointing.

A sequel to The Whole Nine Yards. Some time after all the mayhem in that movie, things have settled down. "Oz" Ozeransky (played by Matthew Perry) now has a successful dental practice and is happily married to Cynthia (Natasha Henstridge). Former hitman Jimmy Tudeski (Bruce Willis) is living the domestic life with wife Jill (Amanda Peet). Then mob boss Lazlo Gogolak (Kevin Pollak) is released from prison and comes seeking revenge for Tudeski killing his son...

The first movie was funny and entertaining. Plot was decent and was a great vehicle for the comedic skills (especially physical comedy) of Matthew Perry.

Unfortunately The Whole Ten Yards has a script that is nowhere near as good, and even Perry and Willis can't save the movie. Instead of well-crafted skits we have cheap attempts at humour: extreme characters, mindless chases and quite silly scenarios. Dialogue is quite flat. Very little thought went into the script, and it shows.

Can't fault the actors - they do what they're told. Every now and again Perry does have a chance to shine, and he makes the most of the opportunities. These moments are few and far between, however. Amanda Peet ends up with the best character and lines and does a great job. Kevin Pollak also does well, in an over-the-top sort of way.

Considering the trajectory from The Whole Nine Yards to the The Whole Ten Yards, at least there wasn't a The Whole Eleven Yards...
September 26, 2015
WARNING YOU HAVE GOT TO WATCH THE END OF THE CREDITS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE AS SOMETHING HAPPENES AT THE END OF THE CREDITS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE........WOW.......just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is such an enjoyable movie 2 watch......its got a good cast of actors/actresses throughout this movie.....I think that bruce willis, matthew perry, Amanda peet, kevin pollak, Natasha henstridge, play good roles/parts throughout this movie......I think that the director of this comedy/drama movie had done a great job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this I think that this is such a really funny enjoyable comedy movie 2 watch......WARNING THIS MOVIE CONTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROUGHOUT SOME SCENES THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE........I think that bruce willis was absolutely brilliant throughout this movie......

The Whole Ten Yards was widely panned by critics. Review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes gives the film a "rotten" score of 4% based on 118 reviews, with an average rating of 2.8/10. The site's consensus reads: "A strained, laugh-free sequel, The Whole Ten Yards recycles its predecessor's cast and plot but not its wit or reason for being". It was also indicated that only 48% of the audience liked the film. Metacritic gives the film a score of 24 out of 100, based on 27 reviews, which indicates "generally unfavorable reviews".

Box office
Unlike the first film, which was a commercial success, The Whole Ten Yards was a box office bomb, bringing in only $16,328,471 in North America and $9,827,310 internationally. With a worldwide total of $26,155,781, less than one-quarter the gross of the original, the film did not recoup its $40 million budget.

its got such a good cast throughout this movie.....I think that this is such a fantastic enjoyable comedy movie 2 watch.......its got good fight scenes throughout this movie......I think that this is such an enjoyable movie 2 watch with a good cast throughout this movie......
July 27, 2015
A poorly conceived and badly written sequel.
January 15, 2015
its slapstick comedy. I don't know everyone else was looking for. this movie is a great 90 minute break from reality. tons of laughs after you've seen the original. you have to listen closely for all of kevin Pollack's hysterical one liners.
December 17, 2014
Good follow up to the first, not sure why the bad reviews?.. Good movie, highly recommend if you liked the first.
November 23, 2014
The cast, straining with all their might for laughs, seem lost as to why they're there or why the material is funny.
September 1, 2014
it was laughable thinakable and willis and perry has this amazing chemistry togther
½ August 27, 2014
A huge step back from is predecessor. The laughs and jokes were extremely forced and the plot was dumb. The story was terrible and they tried way to hard to create something fresh and new. While the original had some fresh comedy and a cool grittiness about it, this one is way to forced and it's just bad.
August 20, 2014
I like this sequel i don't care what anyone says.
June 24, 2014
Bad sequel very bad sequel
½ April 26, 2014
Just one paycheck movie for everyone involved.
April 6, 2014
Great movie! These two were very funny together and hope they will do more movies together. Not a bad storyline and the comedy was fantastic!
March 7, 2014
i liked the first one and this one was pretty entertaining like the first one.
½ January 19, 2014
A very lazy & pointless sequel that has no laughs at all
January 16, 2014
The Whole Nine Yards was an unimpressive film, so I figured that The Whole Ten Yards couldn't hurt.

In The Whole Ten Yards, we don't have to bother to waste time learning who the characters are since they were all introduced in The Whole Nine Yards, and it instead attempts to make do with what characters there are. And even though the plot is stupid, it's expected since it's built on being the sequel of a ridiculous film. And even though critics everywhere would disagree, I believe it's an improvement over its predecessor.
And most of the comedy in The Whole Ten Yards is built on the comedic chemistry between Matthew Perry and Bruce Willis. Since this time around Bruce Willis actually receives sufficient screen time, watching him and Matthew Perry go at it in a comedy is actually a lot more bearable than in The Whole Nine Yards. I honestly laughed a hell of a lot in the scene where Jimmy Tudeski took a running dive through a pyramid of shot glasses. Really, their chemistry makes The Whole Ten Yards easier to watch than most critics suggest.
And their performances are good individually, with Bruce Willis giving a domineering strength to his character and Matthew Perry supplying his social awkwardness to the role again.
Amanda Peet also does a strong job in her role again as she shows off her ability for emotional intensity.
The one cast member who didn't really get sufficient screen time in In The Whole Ten Yards was Natasha Henstridge, but even the she still have a strong performance within the timeframe of her few lines.

The negative elements of the film are large, and it's the fact that like The Whole Nine Yards, The Whole Ten Yards is stupid. It has a dumb script, sporadical laughs and a confusing plot, and of course director Howard Deutch failed to be able to save that. I mean, there isn't anything in The Whole Ten Yards to save it from being a bad film or an inconsistent comedy. It's nothing special and not worth going out of your way for.

So although The Whole Ten Yards isn't as bad as critics say and it has some laughs as well as a good cast, it's still a poor quality film with insufficient laughs.