Widows - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Widows Reviews

½ December 7, 2018
Solid heist film that uses the widows instead of them men. It also has a lot of solid sub-plots that make the film flow really well. The ending is a little predicable but still worth the watch.
½ December 7, 2018
"Widows " can surprise and leave us satisfied quickly. With a pretty unique story, Viola Davis fits perfectly into the role, but not only her, all cast members, making her experience amazing. In spite of not having a focus message (whose makes a confusing type of film), it concludes very well without leaving loose ends. He deserves full recognition in the awards season. 9.3/10
December 6, 2018
SCENE STEALERS - My Review of WIDOWS (4 Stars)

With HUNGER, SHAME and 12 YEARS A SLAVE, Steve McQueen has proven himself as a director with such a specific vision, you can decipher it's one of his films just by watching a few moments. He's fond of long takes and negative space within a frame, always choosing carefully what he wants to show the audience and what he doesn't. With smaller art films, his aesthetic feels unique and welcome, but I worried when word got out that his next film would tackle a specific genre...the heist film. I breathed a sigh of relief when WIDOWS, which he also co-wrote with Gillian Flynn (GONE GIRL), is a sprawling, excitingly tense thriller and one of the year's best films.

Although it stars Viola Davis, every single principal cast members has a chance to shine in this twisty tale of a group of widows drawn into completing a robbery left unfinished when their criminal husbands meet an unfortunate end. McQueen intercuts this powerful opening sequence with comparatively serene flashbacks which introduce our main characters and their soon-to-die spouses. The juxtaposition sets the tone for the rest of the film, one meant to catch the viewer off guard.

Davis plays Veronica, whose husband Harry (Liam Neeson) leads his gang to their doom. Linda (Michelle Rodriguez), and Alice (Elizabeth Debicki) make up the other widows and the plot kicks into gear when a politican/gangster named Jamal Manning (a fantastically hypnotic Brian Tyree Henry) gives Veronica thirty days to come up with $2 million to replace the money her husband stole from him. Jamal's henchman, Jatemme (a memorably frightening Daniel Kaluuya), will stop at nothing to help his brother achieve this goal, and the violence that ensues feels viscerally traumatizing. Complicating matters further, Jamal has a political rival, Jack Mulligan (Colin Farrell), a rich and soulless power broker who also factors heavily in the case of the stolen money. Their campaigns for Alderman frame the macro story, giving us a corrupt society in which to experience the micro story of the heist.

Unlike the OCEANS 11 franchise, where the mechanics of the theft take center stage, McQueen focuses on the characters, making this a particularly rich, layered entry into the genre. Davis gives a commanding performance, although it's intensely humorless, but appropriate considering the circumstances. She drives the action, but remains the strong, steady heroine while generously allowing her co-stars to walk away with the film. It's not that she's bad. She's great, especially in her vulnerable moments, including an unexpected slapping scene or one in which some unexpected information punctures her mask of control.

Rodriguez, however, knocked me out. Usually the strong, silent type, she has a scene of intense vulnerability, showing us a new side to her. Debicki, so hauntingly strange in GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 2, knocks her role out of the park as an abused woman who discovers her independence. Robert Duvall, at 86, stunned me as Farrell's racist, hideous monster of a father, Jacki Weaver, as usual, excels as Debicki's mother from hell and Lukas Haas impressed as an assured man who hires Debicki for sexual companionship during her more desperate times. Special mention also goes to Cynthia Erivo as an extremely athletic driver for the women who refuses to take any stuff from Davis. She's a Broadway star who has blasted onto the film scene this year, and I'm excited to see what she does next.

McQueen relies on a lot of fractured imagery in the film, beautifully shot by his longtime cinematographer Sean Bobbitt, but the centerpiece of this film is a long take from outside a limo as Farrell and his aide drive from a poor section of town to a wealthy one. Never once cutting to his actors, we hear their scheming while reflecting on the economic disparity which acts as an overall theme of the film. It's scenes like this which separate McQueen from lesser filmmakers who would have kept the camera on the actors' faces. The film also has memorable scenes involving a very cute doggy, terror on a basketball court and in a bowling alley, and a gorgeous moment of release in the end. Not to spoil anything, but the last shot had a similar emotional impact on me that William Hurt's final close-up did in THE ACCIDENTAL TOURIST.

WIDOWS has a lot of story, but it's easy to follow and, for me, feels like an epically satisfying meal. Although nothing new when it comes to female empowerment stories, the beauty is in the telling of it. McQueen proves that it's possible to be on the edge of your seat AND care about the people you're watching.
December 6, 2018
Fairly weak, jumpy, totally unbelievable script and INCREDIBLY poor lighting. Viola Davis is great as usual, but she deserves better than this. The other ladies are very good as well. Very minimal effort from Liam Neeson. They just wanted his name, and he just wanted a check. Same with Robert Duvall. It takes absolutely no talent to scream the f word 20 times, but I'm sure it pays well if your name is Robert Duvall. Next time save some money overpaying big name actors in very small roles and buy more light bulbs.
December 6, 2018
I really enjoyed this heist film by McQueen. Not your typical and a nice twist on the genre. It goes without saying that Elizabeth Debicki stole the show in this one! The development of her character was my favorite part, she was great!
December 6, 2018
Steve McQueen logra una gran cinta de acción y thriller, la cual construye un increíble desarrollo de personajes, por mucho el trasfondo social que Widows logra es mayor que su suspenso y intriga impactante ,sus puntos de giro son impecables y por mucho deja un impacto fulminante.
December 5, 2018
Even with a couple strange and not entirely convincing turns, Widows is a powerful film that echoes the strength of its characters through both bold and subtle scene after scene.
December 5, 2018
Lots of unanswered questions.
½ December 5, 2018
I expected to dislike this film then write a scathing review. Can't do it. This is a VERY well done film. We all have our opinions, but based on what I just watched am perplexed at so many negative Audience reviews here. Left the theater feeling I got my moneys worth.
Recommend
December 5, 2018
A very nicely told story by the the director with great natural acting from the cast. The camera & photography work, lighting, sound and grips were superb. Hair, makeup and wardrobe is exactly appropriate to creating the character blends of the movie. Special effects and Armorers were also outstanding. The art department, sets and props mastered the exact setting within which to tell the story. Although a counterpoint to the narrative, the cruelty of Jamal's team was possibly the directors dissonance of either to have them as serious professional thugs which they played very well or as bumbling imbeciles, which ironically they were as well. The movie kept my attention with good nuances of characters and twists in the story line. The editing, music and post production brought the whole composition to a justifiable and credible conclusion. Well done everybody.
December 5, 2018
With a cast this fantastic and a plot that's a true winner how can McQueen make a movie that's totally flat and devoid of emotion. Maybe he should make Swedish movies
December 5, 2018
A highly entertaining heist drama with a developed plot and a powerful female narrative. I wished for slightly more fleshed out characters to evoke more feeling during the emotionally charged moments, but overall, an entertaining, suspenseful, well-written and performed drama.
December 5, 2018
I liked the acting but not the storyline.
½ December 5, 2018
The. Slowest. film. I. Ever. Watched. (yawnnn)
December 5, 2018
Viola Davis is wonderful per usual.
½ December 4, 2018
Waste of money. References all the current politically correct issues and then doesn't know what to do with them. Too many instances where credibility is stretched beyond the reaches of outer space. E.g. the wannabe robbers have to buy out half of Costco's tupperware range and till them with dirt in order to judge how much a 44 pound and 88 pound pack will weigh. Seriously?!?! Not clever, just dumb. "we need a driver"..."OK, I'll just ask my babysitter if she's free and has a license"
December 4, 2018
Itâ(TM)s amazing, but not for everyone. Personally, I loved it.
½ December 4, 2018
One of the worst movies i've seen this year. Plot is nonsense, no character development, and incredibly incoherent. I do not understand how this movie has good reviews. Do not waste your time and money.

PS- I love Viola Davis and will continue to support her career by paying to see every one of her films in theaters but this was seriously a flop. I almost walked out.
December 4, 2018