Willow - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Willow Reviews

June 29, 2016
A poor film, horribly paced
June 19, 2016
Epic battle between good and evil forces with the survival of a baby found by a brave elf determining the outcome. Billing as "the biggest and most spectacular epic-adventure to ever explode across the screen" was an overstatement but, overall, a decent effort.
½ April 2, 2016
Still holds up. It might be nostalgia but I still love this movie. I have to say the special effects could be better. I would love to see a contemporary version with special effects. Though for the time it is pretty amazing what they accomplished.
½ March 23, 2016
92%
"Willow" is not only a classic sword and sorcery fantasy adventure full of great quotes and a harmless story, but it also helped shaped the way CGI was, and is, used in film and animation.

V: 53%
March 16, 2016
Yeah, it's kinda like the Star Wars version of the hobbit
February 1, 2016
A great journey I wouldn't mind taking again. For being a dated movie, it stands the test of time.
January 19, 2016
Haters gonna hate. So it's the Star Wars OS but in a medieval dressing. So what?
November 21, 2015
Greatest, single-encompassing, fantasy movie of all-time.
½ November 21, 2015
A story of diminishing quality
November 19, 2015
I hadn't seen this in almost twenty years, and that's probably for the best. Since it's very clearly postured as a children's movie, I can't dock too many points if it's overly silly, hokey and naive, but I do suddenly feel quite sorry for dragging my folks out to see it all those summers ago. Simply put, it's not one of those kid's movies that parents will be surprised to enjoy just as much as their little ones. Val Kilmer and Warwick Davis have a strange sort of charm that manages to shine through the wooden dialog and dated special effects, and the plot has the optimistic, adventurous core of a classic fairy tale, so it's not like there's a total lack of positives. But it also borrows heavily from Tolkien, paling badly by comparison, and it pushes the limits of suspended disbelief too far on more than one occasion. George Lucas's influence is all over the screen, too, from the excessively playful tone to the heavy-handed wipe transitions and stiff, overly proper repartee. If you've ever wondered what a Hobbit might look like on Middle Earth, this is your ticket.
½ October 13, 2015
This is a fantasy fairytale from the imagination of George Lucas. He got Ron Howard to direct it and they made this film together, side by side. At the time, the special effects were cutting edge.

This is a classic tale of good vs evil in a medieval world of magic. Willow, played by Warwick Davis, is a likeable hero who happens to be a dwarf, or one of the Little People. Just a simple farmer, wannabe magician, and loving father who cares for his family, he is sent on a quest to return a baby that belongs to the Daikinis (Big People). He goes above and beyond to protect this infant, leading to an adventure, teaming up with antihero Madmartigan to eventually confront the evil sorceress Queen Bavmorda.

Along the way, Madmartigan, played by Val Kilmer, falls for Queen Bavmorda's evil daughter Sorsha (Joanne Whalley) who switches to the good side. In real life, Kilmer and Whalley fell for each other during the filming of this movie, so the real chemistry between them might be apparent.

Having achieved his goal, Willow returns to his family and village a hero, with recognition by the village sorcerer--and everyone else. In this old school good vs evil fairytale, good prevails in the end, of course, and it's a happily ever after.
September 26, 2015
in 2015, this movie still holds up. It is by far Val Kilmers best role. even with the Lord of the rings movies, this is really good. The music is amazing, the only down side is the dated special effects. To its credit, they were good back then.
½ September 2, 2015
While conventional 'Willow' is still very enjoyable and is unsurprisingly more popular with fans than critics.
½ August 15, 2015
When a mysterious baby drifts toward his village, aspiring dwarf sorcerer Willow finds himself on a wild adventure as he strives to protect the child from an evil queen. WILLOW has been unfairly attacked by critics, declaring it to be a rip-off of STAR WARS and J.R.R. Tolkien (part of this being that this movie was helmed by George Lucas). While there are some elements of derivativeness at various points (although to harp on such "similarities" would almost take away the film's entertainment value), WILLOW exudes a charm of its own, thanks to some expertly directed action-scenes, deliciously campy humor (provided by two miniature size "brownies"), and fine performances, particularly from Val Kilmer as the swaggering swordsman Madmartigan and Warwick Davis as Willow himself. James Horner's music is also a plus. The special effects by ILM are variable in places, but hold up fairly well for the most part. There are a couple of scary scenes that may be too intense for youngsters: a fight with a two-headed beast and a frightening bit where an entire army is turned into pigs, but for the most part this is a film that anyone of any age can enjoy. WILLOW deserved a far better fate than what it was accorded for in 1988, so it's refreshing to see that it has its legions of fans. As an escapist fantasy, it's no LORD OF THE RINGS, but it's great fun.
August 12, 2015
A cult film ! Where is the sequel now ?
½ August 5, 2015
So this is one of those movies I saw when I was like 10, and then it proceeded to be the WPIX movie of the week ever Saturday afternoon forever. I'm watching it again for the first time in years though, and ok, the special effects don't hold up so great, but really who cares. The script is still fantastic. Val Kilmer's at his sarcastic best, and there's kind of the feeling that maybe Peter Jackson watched this a couple of times before completing LOTR. Four stars for script, sarcasm, Brownies, and Kilmer.
½ June 23, 2015
This was one of my favorite movies to watch growing up. I can not wait to share it with u my kids. One of the best things about this movie is the music, composed by the recently deceased James Hornor. What a talent!
March 26, 2015
Just as weird and cool as I remember it. And still pretty freaky.