Willow - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Willow Reviews

May 14, 2018
Willow benefits from great production design and likable lead characters. An underrated fantasy quest.
April 17, 2018
This is a movie that is at once both promising, and disappointing. It seems like a movie that will be another standard sword and sorcery film, but it ends up being a completely inappropriate spoof on dwarfs. It could not be made today. It is totally politically incorrect. The acting is terrible.
½ March 15, 2018
While not a sweeping fantasy epic to remember, Willow, compensates with its own unique magical world and lovable characters.
½ January 12, 2018
Written by George Lucas and directed by Ron Howard, need I say more? One of the better fantasy movies of the 90's that kind of parallels to the world of Tolkien. Val Kilmer is wonderful and the story is fluid and filled with adventure. This movie is fun for both adults and children.
December 19, 2017
This movie popped into my memory today! Been 25 years probably since I've seen it, but remember watching it many times!
½ December 14, 2017
A LotR type movie that I saw on cable 30 years ago. It's okay. Its a bit too sentimental like most of Ron Howard movies. I don't hate it.
December 5, 2017
Suddenly i like this movie! ha
August 24, 2017
Good movie, not something I would want to watch repeatedly like my wife.
July 30, 2017
Willow's writing is absolutely abysmal, but the cast is having so much fun & the SFX are so great that it really doesn't matter, you should be able to have a good time.
June 10, 2017
Kilmer at his most charming and Lucas at his least pretentious.
½ May 4, 2017
I liked the first half better than the second half. The storyline didn't really go anywhere and some of the special effects were cheesy. Ultimately though, Warwick Davis brings heart to this eighties fantasy as the title character. (First and only viewing - 5/4/2017)
April 10, 2017
Tragically underappreciated, this sword and sorcery tale is a must-see. Warwick Davis as Willow is great to watch and he really moves the narrative along. While the film does have a bit of a weak plot-thread, but makes this film sore is its whimsical charm, even in the dark moments. The film is viewed most strongly when seen as the tale of a young man who learns about himself through the course of the story, and the courage he doesn't know he has until confronted with insurmountable odds.
½ March 29, 2017
While not a spectacular and original story, I think critics are a bit too hard on the movie, and this isn't coming from someone who likes the film because of nostalgia. The movie is meant to be a simple, yet grand adventure, and it delivers on that front.
February 24, 2017
The story is great, it had everything action adventure, it was funny and has room for a second movie!
January 26, 2017
"Willow"?...uhm...oh yeah, now I remember (sort of).
Just like every other cliché-driven fantasy film that was being pumped out during the 1980s, "Willow" attempts to follow down the beaten path, but suffers from too many missteps where the characters are uninteresting and annoying, the world looks bland and cheap, and the plot is derivative and lacks imagination. In short, this film feels like a dirty cash-in.
November 30, 2016
Yeah, it's kinda like the Star Wars version of the hobbit. Maybe.
November 28, 2016
I saw this film in the movie theater when I was about ten years old. It wasn't a perfect movie but it has an undeniable charm and a good story. This is my favorite role of Val Kilmer, followed by Doc Holladay (of course) and Joanne Whalley was smoking hot. I am sure a lot of my appreciation of this film is from loving it as a child and I am not sure what I would think of it if I had not seen it until I was an adult. However I love the film.
½ November 25, 2016
One of the most under-rated movies of all time. I have idea what critics expected the film to be. It's great fun with a fabulous musical score from late great composer James Horner.
November 7, 2016
I forgot how much I love this movie! It's a little corny at times but it was 1988 and it really is well written.
November 6, 2016
A little gem I did not know about and in some ways hard to believe it was a box office disappointment. But the childlike fantasy film for families probably couldn't find its audience but it still made $57 million which isn't bad. 1988 was the year of Rain Man and Roger Rabbit so I can see this one fading into nostalgic memory especially with the very poor critical response. I enjoyed this movie though. Unique heroes, unique villains, fun and swordplay along with great set pieces and visual effects add to a heartwarming story of those underestimated accomplishing amazing things. Sort of following Lord of the Rings thematically. Sure some of it is hokey or repetitive, but it has all of the ingredients for an adventure. Some things are a stretch but I think Willow's uncompromising loyalty and heroism plus his drive to return to his family truly carries this film very well. Not a waste of time.