Willow - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Willow Reviews

½ November 3, 2018
For all its imagination and ambition, the film is neither ambitiously imaginative-this is Moses meets Snow White, a retread of classic fairy tales and myths without the sly wink of LEGEND or the pomo re-situating of STAR WARS-nor imaginatively ambitious-all the creative powers went, per usual, toward the special effects, and little toward interesting characters or novel storywork. Like Willow himself, the movie never commits to its own radical potential and never seems sure of itself: Though it begins with a wonderful cast of diverse little people, it quickly shies away from actually following through on the fellowship of dwarves that it briefly promises, turning instead to a typical (and far less intriguing) rapier-wielding rapscallion in Val Kilmer. Just as Willow's solution to his lack of self-confidence means both embracing magic and relying on someone more powerful, so too does the movie depend on its own cinematic magic to save itself, leaning on its special effects team to captivate the audience where the story fails-an unsatisfying conclusion to a rather dull journey.

Oh, and the Brownies: They're somewhere between Ewoks and Jar Jar, yet somehow even less appealing.
½ October 3, 2018
So much fun. A film you can watch over and over. Great cast, great story, great everything. Ron Howard's direction is brilliant as usual. The special effects do not age well, but if you can enjoy the campiness of claymation and rear projection, you'll have a blast watching this movie.
September 21, 2018
It's been like 30+ years and this movie still manages to enthrall me the action and a thundering soundtrack.

Davies and Kilmer had such good connection in this movie.

And seeing from some of the critique clearly yet another underrated movie.
September 5, 2018
One of my childhood favorites.
½ July 31, 2018
After re-watching this film in over 20 years I can say that it's a fun but cheesy fantasy film. Warwick Davis is quite good in the role of Willow. The action scenes are quite good, but the story is derivative. The film is some ways is a spoof of sword and sorcery films while being one. Yet, some of the humor is forced, but some of the humor works. I have heard the script was revised several times, but it needed more revision. I can see why I really liked it as a kid. Despite its flaws I still got a kick out of it as an adult.
½ July 27, 2018
This is actually not a box office flop or disappointment, one of the best, great acting, fun, and not bad Cinematography. One of my all time favorites. Don't like it when Pecs say it was a flop or disappointment. If you Ron tell him to quit saying it was a disappointment he's hurting my feelings.
½ July 15, 2018
Rewatched it even though i remember not thinking much of it and I was right....too corny and simple.
June 22, 2018
Probably the best fantasy film ?? of all time!
May 14, 2018
Willow benefits from great production design and likable lead characters. An underrated fantasy quest.
April 17, 2018
This is a movie that is at once both promising, and disappointing. It seems like a movie that will be another standard sword and sorcery film, but it ends up being a completely inappropriate spoof on dwarfs. It could not be made today. It is totally politically incorrect. The acting is terrible.
½ March 15, 2018
While not a sweeping fantasy epic to remember, Willow, compensates with its own unique magical world and lovable characters.
½ January 12, 2018
Written by George Lucas and directed by Ron Howard, need I say more? One of the better fantasy movies of the 90's that kind of parallels to the world of Tolkien. Val Kilmer is wonderful and the story is fluid and filled with adventure. This movie is fun for both adults and children.
December 19, 2017
This movie popped into my memory today! Been 25 years probably since I've seen it, but remember watching it many times!
½ December 14, 2017
A LotR type movie that I saw on cable 30 years ago. It's okay. Its a bit too sentimental like most of Ron Howard movies. I don't hate it.
December 5, 2017
Suddenly i like this movie! ha
August 24, 2017
Good movie, not something I would want to watch repeatedly like my wife.
July 30, 2017
Willow's writing is absolutely abysmal, but the cast is having so much fun & the SFX are so great that it really doesn't matter, you should be able to have a good time.
June 10, 2017
Kilmer at his most charming and Lucas at his least pretentious.
½ May 4, 2017
I liked the first half better than the second half. The storyline didn't really go anywhere and some of the special effects were cheesy. Ultimately though, Warwick Davis brings heart to this eighties fantasy as the title character. (First and only viewing - 5/4/2017)
April 10, 2017
Tragically underappreciated, this sword and sorcery tale is a must-see. Warwick Davis as Willow is great to watch and he really moves the narrative along. While the film does have a bit of a weak plot-thread, but makes this film sore is its whimsical charm, even in the dark moments. The film is viewed most strongly when seen as the tale of a young man who learns about himself through the course of the story, and the courage he doesn't know he has until confronted with insurmountable odds.