Willow - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Willow Reviews

February 7, 2019
I've always loved this movie. I recently watched it on Google Play Movies, and I was taken back to being 8 years old seeing it for the first time. Willow is one of my favorite fantasy films, and I recommend it to everyone.
February 3, 2019
A bright light among a shadowy path, guiding all hope to a victorious happiness.
January 31, 2019
It's been one of my favorite movies. I saw it when it was released in theaters and a hundred times since! Now it's available for streaming!
January 14, 2019
Saw it for the first time in years recently. Great fun.
December 29, 2018
This is a cult classic of the high fantasy genre that you will either love or hate. I see it as the pinnacle of stop-motion and practical effects paired with one of the best scores ever written by James Horner. There is something magical in itself when you watch a movie and the armies are actual people. Not only can you see the fight sequences actually play out, but the action that it does have also pushes the plot forward rather than just being there inconsequentially. Lastly, this movie is highly quotable. Coming from the era of the one-liner when they knew how to write one-liners.
½ November 3, 2018
For all its imagination and ambition, the film is neither ambitiously imaginative-this is Moses meets Snow White, a retread of classic fairy tales and myths without the sly wink of LEGEND or the pomo re-situating of STAR WARS-nor imaginatively ambitious-all the creative powers went, per usual, toward the special effects, and little toward interesting characters or novel storywork. Like Willow himself, the movie never commits to its own radical potential and never seems sure of itself: Though it begins with a wonderful cast of diverse little people, it quickly shies away from actually following through on the fellowship of dwarves that it briefly promises, turning instead to a typical (and far less intriguing) rapier-wielding rapscallion in Val Kilmer. Just as Willow's solution to his lack of self-confidence means both embracing magic and relying on someone more powerful, so too does the movie depend on its own cinematic magic to save itself, leaning on its special effects team to captivate the audience where the story fails-an unsatisfying conclusion to a rather dull journey.

Oh, and the Brownies: They're somewhere between Ewoks and Jar Jar, yet somehow even less appealing.
½ October 3, 2018
So much fun. A film you can watch over and over. Great cast, great story, great everything. Ron Howard's direction is brilliant as usual. The special effects do not age well, but if you can enjoy the campiness of claymation and rear projection, you'll have a blast watching this movie.
September 21, 2018
It's been like 30+ years and this movie still manages to enthrall me the action and a thundering soundtrack.

Davies and Kilmer had such good connection in this movie.

And seeing from some of the critique clearly yet another underrated movie.
September 5, 2018
One of my childhood favorites.
½ July 31, 2018
After re-watching this film in over 20 years I can say that it's a fun but cheesy fantasy film. Warwick Davis is quite good in the role of Willow. The action scenes are quite good, but the story is derivative. The film is some ways is a spoof of sword and sorcery films while being one. Yet, some of the humor is forced, but some of the humor works. I have heard the script was revised several times, but it needed more revision. I can see why I really liked it as a kid. Despite its flaws I still got a kick out of it as an adult.
½ July 27, 2018
This is actually not a box office flop or disappointment, one of the best, great acting, fun, and not bad Cinematography. One of my all time favorites. Don't like it when Pecs say it was a flop or disappointment. If you Ron tell him to quit saying it was a disappointment he's hurting my feelings.
½ July 15, 2018
Rewatched it even though i remember not thinking much of it and I was right....too corny and simple.
June 22, 2018
Probably the best fantasy film ?? of all time!
May 14, 2018
Willow benefits from great production design and likable lead characters. An underrated fantasy quest.
April 17, 2018
This is a movie that is at once both promising, and disappointing. It seems like a movie that will be another standard sword and sorcery film, but it ends up being a completely inappropriate spoof on dwarfs. It could not be made today. It is totally politically incorrect. The acting is terrible.
½ March 15, 2018
While not a sweeping fantasy epic to remember, Willow, compensates with its own unique magical world and lovable characters.
½ January 12, 2018
Written by George Lucas and directed by Ron Howard, need I say more? One of the better fantasy movies of the 90's that kind of parallels to the world of Tolkien. Val Kilmer is wonderful and the story is fluid and filled with adventure. This movie is fun for both adults and children.
December 19, 2017
This movie popped into my memory today! Been 25 years probably since I've seen it, but remember watching it many times!
½ December 14, 2017
A LotR type movie that I saw on cable 30 years ago. It's okay. Its a bit too sentimental like most of Ron Howard movies. I don't hate it.
December 5, 2017
Suddenly i like this movie! ha