The Wings of the Dove Reviews

• Jan 02, 2021

A deep exploration of the heart and how it will have its way no matter what.

A deep exploration of the heart and how it will have its way no matter what.

• Jul 07, 2020

I hated the characters and thus the film.

I hated the characters and thus the film.

• Nov 10, 2017

???????????????? ??? ?????????????? ?????????? ?????? ????????????????

???????????????? ??? ?????????????? ?????????? ?????? ????????????????

• Dec 20, 2016

A devastating look at fine line that separates money and love and how it could push someone to the very edge of decimation.

• Sep 03, 2015

The Wings of the Dove is a perfect example of a film that would've been better served with a less conventional approach that focused on delineating the emotional turmoil these characters put themselves through instead of lavishing in its period trappings. As it stands, it's mostly well-done, although it doesn't get truly compelling until the killer ending that prioritizes the character instead of the visual, pushing its performers to vulnerable territory that yields much more rewarding results.

• Apr 21, 2015

The Wings of the Dove is a decent film. It is about a strong-willed aristocratic girl who takes drastic measures to marry her lower-class lover. Helena Bonham Carter and Linus Roache give good performances. The screenplay is a little slow in places. Iain Softley did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the drama and romance.

• Feb 18, 2015

I love a good, taut sexual Bonham Carter drama-period piece just like the next person, but this movie felt a bit stilted to me at times. Part of that stiltedness which also lent itself to making the film seem formulaic, is probably due to the fact that it's a James novel. When I am really enveloped by a movie, I can watch it from beginning to end without any issues, but with this movie, I just couldn't seem to muster up enough enthusiasm for it to keep it watching it continuously, so there was a bit of stopping and starting before I finally made it to the end of the movie. I am also quite accepting of slower paced movies, and actually enjoy them most of them time, but again with this movie, it was moved like molasses.

• Dec 08, 2013

It was ok... just didn't really go anywhere and the characters weren't interesting enough to keep my attention.

• Dec 08, 2013

This is a beautifully shot period drama that places Helena Bonham Carter in that early 20th century environment in which she seems really comfortable. She play Kate, a young woman who is in love with a penniless journalist, Merton played by Linus Roache. Kate is the ward of her glamourous, monied aunt who is determined that Kate will make a good match and marry into a wealthy, titled family. Into this mix comes Millie, an orphaned American heiress on her way to Venice. Millie is desperately ill and, after noticing her attraction to Merton, Kate begins to hatch a cruel, devious plot. The period feel of this film is terrific and it is great to see scenes set on the 1900s London Underground as well as those in Venice. You get a real sense of the society that is in a transition from the uptight Victorian age to the more liberated Edwardian era. There's great play made of the fashions in clothes and art together with the changes in science and technology which I have seldom seen better portrayed than here. The plot is something of a slow burn, but I think in this case, it really works that way as the schemes, plots, jealousies and mistrusts begin to show and the the lives of the protagonists are tragically interwoven. I don't think I'm giving anything way by saying that there's not a nice, neat happy ending. This is based on a novel by Henry James after all. But there's an opulent, romantic feel to this production that makes it a sumptuous feast for the eyes and the spite and jealousy prove a little less sugary than most films if this genre.

• Oct 09, 2013

Well made and superbly acted but ultimately unsatisfying!

Well made and superbly acted but ultimately unsatisfying!