Withnail and I - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Withnail and I Reviews

May 23, 2017
Considerada como una de las mejores comedias britÓnicas la vý con mucha expectativa, pero me pareci˛ una regular cinta con el týpico humor britÓnico destaca su banda sonora.
April 23, 2017
Good old fashioned British humor right here. One of my favorite comedy movies.
February 10, 2017
Ralph Brown short performance is brilliant
February 5, 2017
My all time favorite movie.
November 29, 2016
Oh what a piece of work is this movie - simply brilliant. Almost fatal self-obsession meets rural England with stunning results. Grant, McGann, and Griffiths are all gorgeous.
½ October 24, 2016
It's brilliantly written and ominously funny in a way that most films are not, but it's a hard thing to swallow. It's one of those films that just makes you feel terribly gross the whole time, which I'm sort of biased against.
½ October 23, 2016
Has aged ok, still some decent humour in amongst the irreverent plot. Short enough not get too tedious.
September 24, 2016
Top film. We've come on holiday by mistake!
July 31, 2016
While Grant does it best to be completely likeable through being completely unlikeable, the joke of them being pretentious youths in the sixties runs old quite quickly - and Richard Griffith's predatory homosexual routine is nothing short of offensive.
June 12, 2016
Hilarious, poignant, writing that just crackles and stellar performances from the entire cast. Easily the best British film of the latter part of the 20th Century!
April 10, 2016
Atmospheric. No better word to describe this masterpiece. Grab a few beers on a rainy day and put this movie on - you won't regret it.
March 20, 2016
One of the funniest comedies, ever! Just watch it. If you don't like it then you probably shouldn't be watching comedy. This film will hold you from the haunting King Curtis live performance or A Whiter shade of Pale through the opening credits, to Richard E Grant's poignant Hamlet soliloquy over David Dundas' haunting closing instrumental. "We went on holiday by accident"...from 1987 the last days of the 60's never looked so authentic.
½ March 3, 2016
It's a stellar hybrid of a "hang-out" comedy and a neurotic farce. Anyone who has ever been involved in theatre knows someone like Withnail.
February 2, 2016
Essential viewing. You won't understand Wayne's World 2 without it.
½ January 28, 2016
For some reason I have always missed this film over the years.
The film follows the lives of two unemployed actors (Withnail - Richard E. Grant and Marwood/I - Paul? McGann). For want of a better word they live like student scrubbers complete with piled high unwashed pots and rodents in their Camden flat.
Withnail who is under the influence of alcohol throughout the film has a rich uncle (Richard Griffiths) who happens to own a cottage in the Lake District.
He somehow gets the key for a short break away with Marwood.
What follows are a good thirty minutes of shenanigans in Penrith featuring more alcohol, weird farmers and cottage barricading like Straw Dogs.
Uncle Monty turns up to make proceedings interesting. Monty has a liking for wine and Marwood it seems!
The film is mildly interesting watching Marwood try and scrape out of the clutches of Uncle Monty.
The late George Harrison has an Executive Producer credit. His Handmade Films made the film.
January 28, 2016
Hilarious British comedy.

London, 1969. Two unemployed actors, Withnail (played by Richard E Grant) and Marwood (Paul McGann), are destitute and desperately in need of a change of fortunes. They decide to go on holiday to a cottage in the country. The cottage is owned by Withnail's eccentric uncle, Monty (Richard Griffiths). Things don't go entirely smoothly and get even more complicated when Monty arrives unexpectedly...

Incredibly funny, especially the first few scenes - them living in their squalor and having to be resourceful - and the last few scenes - when they're back from the country.

Dialogue is great and is delivered perfectly. Richard E Grant's wonderfully over-the-top performance makes the movie. Not that Paul McGann gives a bad performance, he is just more the straight man in the comedy duo and thus his performance is less intense. Any scenes involving Danny the drug dealer (Ralph Brown) are fantastic too.

On the negative side, some the situational comedy is a bit cheap and silly. This is particularly so with the ongoing tension between Marwood and Monty. That seemed over-exaggerated and overdone. The third quarter of the movie seemed to drag, due to that.

Production values are not that great either. Both video and audio seemed sub-par.
October 26, 2015
Brilliant black comedy with a very British sense of humour and interesting characters.
October 25, 2015
This is the best movie I've ever seen. So underrated and unassuming - a work of art.
½ September 3, 2015
Withnail and I is a very aimless film. Our nameless main character is tormented throughout by his annoying friend Withnail who is always drunk. Withnail almost ruined the film he is soooooooo irritating
There is some good scenes mostly the quiet ones and usually when it was nighttime.
The "humorous" scenes weren't funny as it involved Withnail's prickish attitude they didn't move the plot ahead and felt like filler.
It's a real like it or hate it film. Its really Fear and Loathing (which no joke had the same artist) without the trippy surreal scenes.
July 1, 2015
This movie has great depth for those who care to see it. It's also great fun splashing about in its shallows!