Wonderland - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Wonderland Reviews

September 17, 2018
Michael Winterbottom's slice-of-life drama is well-acted but rambling and ineffective.
December 26, 2014
Wonderland is well crafted from the editing to the acting, but it often feels like a television pilot for a calculatedly hip soap opera.
½ March 29, 2013
This was a fairly interesting watch. Throughout I began to wonder what kind of camera they used to film it because it looked a little grainy and very white washed feeling. I didn't mind the way it looked. The music really tied the movie together, made it a good listening experience.
ElCochran90
December 31, 2012
It's impossible not to be easily fascinated by Europe's invigorating, cheap-looking documentary-style of filmmaking. Winterbottom uses such humble resource and makes an insightful look to the difficulties and misadventures of the easiest characters to identify with in their daily urban life. One of the year's finest and better than any Academy Award nominated flick of 1999 except for The Matrix.

97/100
November 14, 2012
Wednesday, November 14, 2012

(1999) Wonderland
DRAMA

Made in the same tradition as one could expect from a Mike Leigh film where the story is improvised by it's leads using an actual setting showcasing problems involving the middle class. In this case, a group of people who have some connection with the other, we don't know how nor understand in what way they're relevent until the very end. Very 'subtle' and raw which makes it more appealing since all of them are acting without any make up on nor are they on any Hollywood set. Everything done in this film takes place on the some of the seediest streets of London. What one can expect from this film starts off with a young average lady looking for love by placing a lovelorn ad, another story dealt with first time parents as a couple, a mother having to put up with a neigbors barking dog everyday and all night, and an older son total withdraw from his father made in a docu-drama style.

All I can say is that theirs something appealing about watching actors without any makeup on, which as a result make their personas to become authetic and relatable without any high expectations coping with actual locations without it being a stage. If it comes to "neo-realist" this happens to be like one of them in these current times and think that it's very hard to do.

3 out of 4 stars
½ October 24, 2012
London has never been more beautiful and yet rugged on films.
June 14, 2012
this is a good movie, but another depressing movie.... the part where she poisoned the dog made me feel sick
December 10, 2011
Recommended by Eric, magnolia12883.
June 28, 2011
This movie is the simple representation about what is truly life, represent into singles people lives, is about that life is sometimes sad, sometimes ugly, sometimes hard, sometimes easy, Sometimes WONDERLAND
March 14, 2011
1999 London is a character in this interestingly constructed and beautifully scored film. Interesting to see Molly Parker and Stuart Townsend here.
February 19, 2011
February 10, 2011
caught this on TV without knowing who it was by and I was instantly captivated. The first thing is that it's filmed and set where I live, around the Elephant and Castle and Walworth Road, and it's about the people I see every day. It's absolutely spot on about the kind of lives people around here lead and the way individuals and different social groups interact.

What lifts it above the sort of social realism common in British cinema is the cutting, the cinematography and Michael Nyman's lovely music, which must be his best work post-Greenaway. While I've never been a big fan of the 'poetry of degradation' school of art, somehow the ugliness and squalor of South East London are transformed by this film and the lives of the characters are invested with real dignity.

Though it may deal with the same sort of subject matter as Ken Loach or Mike Leigh, the style and approach are very different - the difference between a great piece of prose and a poem. I guess you could say Winterbottom and Nyman do for London what Scorsese and Herrmann did for New York in Mean Streets and Taxi Driver.

This is a beautiful film and I feel real gratitude to Michael Winterbottom for bringing our lives to the screen in such a way.
January 20, 2011
Gina McKee was awesome.

The realistic tackling of the story and the soundtrack really manage to keep a story that could have felt too much like a soap opera on the rails.
September 8, 2010
A bluesy British ensemble film that reminds us that life usually deals up more shit cards than good ones. It is beautifully observed and bar the dreadful scenes where John Simm runs practice lines, it is consistently well performed. Sure it is a bit depressing, but the director adds some skilled touches and the closing minutes leave us with a sprinkle of hope.
February 1, 2010
Great Rythm, but a weak argument....
½ October 14, 2009
Realistic, down to earth, and heart warming. Proper portrayal of the alienation & loneliness of city dwellers- even though living under the same roof- parents & children, husband & wife, not to mention total strangers. Lovely soundtracks as well.
½ August 7, 2009
Aangrijpende film over het leven van een aantal gezinnen die elkaar kruisen.
April 17, 2009
An insight into the real lives of lonely Londoners.
½ March 12, 2009
good film but THE MOST WONDERFUL MOVIE SOUNDTRACK EVER !
½ February 28, 2009
This was really good, i enjoyed it, not everyones cup of tea i expect but still a really good character study!