Wonderland Reviews

• Sep 17, 2018

Michael Winterbottom's slice-of-life drama is well-acted but rambling and ineffective.

• Mar 29, 2013

This was a fairly interesting watch. Throughout I began to wonder what kind of camera they used to film it because it looked a little grainy and very white washed feeling. I didn't mind the way it looked. The music really tied the movie together, made it a good listening experience.

• Nov 14, 2012

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 (1999) Wonderland DRAMA Made in the same tradition as one could expect from a Mike Leigh film where the story is improvised by it's leads using an actual setting showcasing problems involving the middle class. In this case, a group of people who have some connection with the other, we don't know how nor understand in what way they're relevent until the very end. Very 'subtle' and raw which makes it more appealing since all of them are acting without any make up on nor are they on any Hollywood set. Everything done in this film takes place on the some of the seediest streets of London. What one can expect from this film starts off with a young average lady looking for love by placing a lovelorn ad, another story dealt with first time parents as a couple, a mother having to put up with a neigbors barking dog everyday and all night, and an older son total withdraw from his father made in a docu-drama style. All I can say is that theirs something appealing about watching actors without any makeup on, which as a result make their personas to become authetic and relatable without any high expectations coping with actual locations without it being a stage. If it comes to "neo-realist" this happens to be like one of them in these current times and think that it's very hard to do. 3 out of 4 stars

• Oct 24, 2012

London has never been more beautiful and yet rugged on films.

London has never been more beautiful and yet rugged on films.

• Jun 14, 2012

this is a good movie, but another depressing movie.... the part where she poisoned the dog made me feel sick

• Edgar C Super Reviewer
    Dec 28, 2011

It's impossible not to be easily fascinated by Europe's invigorating, cheap-looking documentary-style of filmmaking. Winterbottom uses such humble resource and makes an insightful look to the difficulties and misadventures of the easiest characters to identify with in their daily urban life. One of the year's finest and better than any Academy Award nominated flick of 1999 except for <i>The Matrix</i>. 97/100

• Jun 28, 2011

This movie is the simple representation about what is truly life, represent into singles people lives, is about that life is sometimes sad, sometimes ugly, sometimes hard, sometimes easy, Sometimes WONDERLAND

• Mar 14, 2011

1999 London is a character in this interestingly constructed and beautifully scored film. Interesting to see Molly Parker and Stuart Townsend here.

• Cassandra M Super Reviewer
    Feb 10, 2011

caught this on TV without knowing who it was by and I was instantly captivated. The first thing is that it's filmed and set where I live, around the Elephant and Castle and Walworth Road, and it's about the people I see every day. It's absolutely spot on about the kind of lives people around here lead and the way individuals and different social groups interact. What lifts it above the sort of social realism common in British cinema is the cutting, the cinematography and Michael Nyman's lovely music, which must be his best work post-Greenaway. While I've never been a big fan of the 'poetry of degradation' school of art, somehow the ugliness and squalor of South East London are transformed by this film and the lives of the characters are invested with real dignity. Though it may deal with the same sort of subject matter as Ken Loach or Mike Leigh, the style and approach are very different - the difference between a great piece of prose and a poem. I guess you could say Winterbottom and Nyman do for London what Scorsese and Herrmann did for New York in Mean Streets and Taxi Driver. This is a beautiful film and I feel real gratitude to Michael Winterbottom for bringing our lives to the screen in such a way.

• Jan 20, 2011

Gina McKee was awesome. The realistic tackling of the story and the soundtrack really manage to keep a story that could have felt too much like a soap opera on the rails.