The Year of Living Dangerously - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Year of Living Dangerously Reviews

½ December 1, 2016
On one hand, it's not fair to rate and criticize the film because I found myself being easily distracted by other things and was often ignoring the movie. On the other hand, the movie was boring enough for me to easily find distractions to keep from watching this film. Hence, the poor score.
September 30, 2015
A Superb and Intelligent Film, It's A Great Film That Demands Your Sharp Edged Attention, The Story Is Political,It Grips You To Its Visionary And Honest Story. "Two Big Thumbs Up"
½ May 24, 2015
Insipid romance superimposed on a totally under explored political situation.
½ May 6, 2015
Little bit heavy on romance for my taste but its a decent flick.
½ March 3, 2015
The Year of Living Dangerously: This is a clever, stylish period piece starring a young Mel Gibson as a Australian correspondent covering the 1965 military unrest in Indonesia while falling for British Embassy attache Sigourney Weaver. Linda Hunt made history as the first Best Supporting Actress Oscar winner to portray a male character for her scene stealing portrait of Gibson's cameraman, interview rainmaker, and matchmaker. The acting, cinematography and sumptuous score combine to provide a fascinating glimpse into life in Indonesia during that time period. A
January 18, 2015
Buena pelicula , increibles actuaciones especialmente Linda Hunt y una banda sonora imprescindible.
January 4, 2015
A love story presented as political intrigue.

The Year of Living Dangerously had heaps of potential. It is laced with heaps of political intrigue and touches on themes of government transparency, freedom of the press, fascism and third world problems. Yet, unfortunately, it is mostly just a love story.

The intrigue is there from the start, leaving you thinking this is going to end as some espionage-type thriller, or freedom of the press and expression argument. There's a Killing Fields / Apocalypse Now / Heart of Darkness vibe about the movie which keeps it going.

Yet, all these go nowhere. The climax is relatively anti-climactic, and disappointing.

This said, the journey was reasonably interesting, even if the destination was so-so.

Performances vary. Mel Gibson is solid in the lead role. Signourney Weaver gives a decent performance but I found it difficult to think of her as English.

Linda Hunt got an Oscar for her performance because the Academy thought it would be quirky and historical to give the Best Actress award to a Caucasian woman playing an Asian man. Her performance was okay, but not THAT good. From the start you think "Isn't she a woman?", and that doesn't help the credibility and purpose of the character. Kept making me think we were about to have a (reverse) Crying Game-like moment...
December 27, 2014
The Year of Living Dangerously is a flawed film, but it is richly textured and imbued with enough emotional and intellectual subtlety to make it a rewarding experience. The plot becomes landlocked in true-life implausibilities; the characters rarely get a hold on the moviegoer's heart or lapels. What saves this meditation on the vestiges of colonialism is, ironically, its celebration of American star power. Peter Weir's The Year of Living Dangerously is a good, romantic melodrama that suffers more than most good, romantic melodramas in not being much better than it is. The Year of Living Dangerously was a good film that drug on in maybe a couple of places but the end result was credible. Linda Hunt was incredible and easily the best part of the film. She played a man for the whole of the film and delivered an Oscar caliber performance. Though that being said, I am a massive Peter Weir fan (with Dead Poets Society and Picnic at Hanging Rock as two of my most favourite movies), I must say that find it a little disappointing that the film uses a turbulent and painful historical event as a backdrop for an unconvincing romantic story. The Year of Living Dangerously could have been so much more complex, layered, thrilling and touching, but nonetheless I still like the film for what it is, but I wouldn't rank it as one of Weir's best works.

VERDICT: "In The Zone" - [Mixed Reaction] These kinds of movies are usually movies that had some good things, but some bad things kept it from being amazing. This rating says buy an ex-rental or a cheap price of the DVD to own. If you consider cinema, ask for people's opinion on the film. (Films that are rated 2.5 or 3 stars)
November 28, 2014
This NEEDS a blu ray and rereleased in the theater. They are showing classics all the time now at Harkins like The Big Lebowski. This film definitely needs a blu ray at the very least....oh, with nothing cut from the film to do it.
August 8, 2014
With fantastic performances from Mel Gibson, Sigourney Weaver, and, especially, Linda Hunt, The Year of Living Dangerously works as many different kinds of movies. It's a historical drama, a romance, a war movie (arguably), and an overall intense movie that doesn't need gun fights and explosions to keep the audience entertained. Easily Peter Weir's best movie
June 13, 2014
Mel Gibson and Sigourney Weaver give solid performances as a journalist and British attache' in this 1983 political thriller set in 1965 Indonesia. A decent look at the chaos and coup against Sukarno is given. But it is the remarkable performance of Linda Hunt starring as Billy Kwan (yes Hunt played a male character) that steals the show. Not only is Hunt's performance remarkable (she did win the Best Supporting Actress Award that year), the Kwan character is the key figure in developing Gibson's conscience about the events around him and the fate that will be Indonesia.
June 4, 2014
The largely successful film that Aussie Director Peter Weir made I believe the year after Gallipoli.

The story of a headstrong journalist caught in the affairs of the Indonesian Revolution guided by the cunning Indonesian Spy played to perfection by Linda Hunt.

The a tense film that is well made but struggles to keep momentum mid way but ultimate delivers. These are truly the electric year of Mel Gibson before he was a Hollywood Household Name.
½ May 25, 2014
A rare look at Indonesian political upheavals framed around a love story involving embassy officials and the press. It is a complicated movie despite the melodramatic flair. This is shown in Many themes including ethics, poverty, freedom and relationship vs work commitments. Hunt, Gibson and weaver giver solid performances.
May 24, 2014
There was a time when we all thought Gibson was going to be the next great screen actor, and he acquits himself nicely here. Hunt earned her Oscar.
½ May 23, 2014
Interesting reactions & switches all round...
May 21, 2014
gr8 pic from dwn under
May 13, 2014
Not bad - and certainly interesting watching a young Gibson with a full-blown Aussie accent - but not particularly great either. Perhaps I don't know enough about Indonesian politics in the 1960's, but still it seems like it's just a story about a journalist in another country that falls in love. Sure, it has a few twists at the end, but I feel more could've been done with the politics/turmoil that was happening. And Linda Hunt playing Billy - why?!?
½ March 17, 2014
This just felt like a novelty for the time, but nothing with any real depth.
½ March 1, 2014
Mel Gibson and Sigourney Weaver turn in notable performances in this tale set during the unrest leading up to the '65 coup attempt in Indonesia. Linda Hunt is excellent as Billy Kwan. A much under-appreciated movie.