Yentl - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Yentl Reviews

December 9, 2017
Eastern Europe, 1904. A Jewish woman, Yentl, has a thirst for knowledge but is prohibited from learning due to the restrictions of her religion. When her father dies, she sets off to increase her knowledge, posing as a man in order to gain admission to a Jewish religious school.

Quite dull. Had heaps of potential in terms of a pro-gender-equality message and to highlight the unnecessary restrictions placed on women in society. However, this theme isn't developed very well, being fairly predictable in its progression. The main theme also gets relegated to a sideshow due to the Yentl-Avigdor-Hadass love triangle and the repercussions of Yentl posing as a man.

The story ends up being quite dull and farcical. What's worse, it's a musical, and the music is mediocre at best.

Only worth watching for the cultural references in other movies and TV shows (mainly comedies).
½ November 21, 2016
The songs were awful, wandering, pointless, void of depth. The plot had real potential but got bogged down in awkwardness by the middle, and though the ending was perfectly acceptable it felt a little like hitting a neglected theme note.

On the up side both of the leads were very strong. A well acted movie, but even that couldn't save it. Just like Barbara's voice couldn't save the music. Still, there were several truly enjoyable well written scenes, all in the early Yeshiva days, that I wouldn't mind seeing again.
½ November 11, 2016
A real surprise: if you can accept the ridiculous premise and the fact that Barbra Streisand looks about as masculine as Sophia Loren, this is actually a good musical. It's helped hugely by a lovely score from Michel Legrand, uncharacteristically restrained performances from Streisand and Mandy Patinkin, and good direction again from Streisand. It's overlong, and Amy Irving seems to have been lobotomised, but otherwise far better than you'd expect.
½ September 9, 2016
Great concept, poor execution. Songs all seemed similar, didn't even make it to the end.
March 23, 2016
Love this movie!! The Power of a Woman to do what she wants!!
February 27, 2016
Barbara Streisand's remarkable directorial debut about a Jewish girl getting an education in the guise of a man is as spine-tinglingly stirring as its memorable musical numbers.
½ February 12, 2016
Good film with lots of terribly bland songs.
½ October 17, 2015
As a Jew, I wanted to believe with all of my heart that Yentl would be a good, beautiful, worthwhile film. What I did not count on was Barbara Streisand. How could I have been so blind? Maybe you won't need to be, I don;t know. I'm happy the singing is minimized at least.
June 8, 2015
A favorite. Gorgeous cinematography, beautiful music, great underrated performances especially Amy Irving and Mandy Patinkin. Than of course there is Barbra and while she gives a wonderful performance, despite much critism, what is most impressive is her work behind the camera. Technically the film is stunning.
½ April 11, 2015
Streisand's best movie....it's all on her for better or worse and she really delivers..
January 20, 2015
V├ lido el esfuerzo de Barbara Streisand , Yentl es una musical sobre el derecho de todo ser humano a aprender . Excelente direcci├▓n , buena ambientaci├▓n , interpretaciones , fotograf├Ča y canciones memorables .Recomendable.
June 28, 2014
Entertaining and beautifully film "film with music" -- this was Streisand's directorial debut. And, if ever there was a concept for a movie that sounds like it would be odd, dull and strange -- Yentl is it. But, in Streisand's hands, the film unfolds as a uniquely, artistically and charming new take on what a film musical can be. Nothing about this movie should work, but everything about it does.
May 20, 2014
Nostalgic evening, reminiscing and watching this great film!
½ April 24, 2014
Yentl is too light to be drama, but too dark to be a comedy. Instead, Streisand gives it her best, but she can't help this boring movie.
½ January 11, 2014
Streisand is so amazing in what she does regardless. When she sings she reaches depths of emotions with her voice that few can. I feel in myself inwardly. Again this tale is a tale of love and choice and need. And well done by perfectionist Barbara
½ October 20, 2013
I've enjoyed many Babs flicks over the years, but with "Yentl," all I can do is wonder what all the fuss is about. Streisand cannot play a young man. He looks like Barbra Streisand. The plot is unbelievable and her continual song breaks are skilled but so similar.
½ October 13, 2013
Barbra Streisand co-writes, produces, directs, stars and sings in Yentl, yet it never becomes some celebrity vanity project. Rather, it is a fascinating exploration of female repression and empowerment.
August 19, 2013
This has to be one of the strangest concepts for a major Hollywood production: Barbra Streisand adapts a short story by Isaac Bashevis Singer about a woman who disguises herself as a man so that she can attend Yeshiva. ...Into a musical. A 2 hour plus musical. Directed, produced, starring, co-written and co-edited by Streisand herself. And, the amazing thing is that this movie works beautifully. Highly entertaining, filled with a lush musical score, exceptional photography and thoroughly unique in almost every direction - Yentl is a great movie. There are some minor Hollywood conceits that hurt the film - one of the biggest being that Yentl somehow manages to give herself a 1980's Vidal Sassoon Salon-Perfect haircut using an pair of 19th Century shears. And, of course, Streisand neither sounds or looks like a man. However, this may have been part of what she was working at with the movie - the idea that society accepts and believes what it is told. The film also glides past what could have been a deeper psychological study of sexuality and intimate deception. But, this is intended to be an inspiring musical. And, it is just that. In addition to this film being quite good is the entertaining idea that the production ever got a "green light" -- if ever a concept for a movie sounds doomed it would be the concept for Streisand's YENTL. But, the lady knew what she was doing.
½ August 4, 2013
it was enjoyable. I feel like this should appeal to a more Broadway admiring audience. I watch the film and I see nothing ground break or remarkable about it. it just come off to me as an everyday average musical. and the fact that I'm not a Streisand fan shows that I may not have enjoyed it from the start.
½ July 14, 2013
c'Ŕ da dire che pensavo meglio...ma la storia merita.