Yentl - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Yentl Reviews

½ September 9, 2016
Great concept, poor execution. Songs all seemed similar, didn't even make it to the end.
March 23, 2016
Love this movie!! The Power of a Woman to do what she wants!!
February 27, 2016
Barbara Streisand's remarkable directorial debut about a Jewish girl getting an education in the guise of a man is as spine-tinglingly stirring as its memorable musical numbers.
½ February 12, 2016
Good film with lots of terribly bland songs.
½ October 17, 2015
As a Jew, I wanted to believe with all of my heart that Yentl would be a good, beautiful, worthwhile film. What I did not count on was Barbara Streisand. How could I have been so blind? Maybe you won't need to be, I don;t know. I'm happy the singing is minimized at least.
June 8, 2015
A favorite. Gorgeous cinematography, beautiful music, great underrated performances especially Amy Irving and Mandy Patinkin. Than of course there is Barbra and while she gives a wonderful performance, despite much critism, what is most impressive is her work behind the camera. Technically the film is stunning.
½ April 11, 2015
Streisand's best's all on her for better or worse and she really delivers..
January 20, 2015
V├ lido el esfuerzo de Barbara Streisand , Yentl es una musical sobre el derecho de todo ser humano a aprender . Excelente direcci├▓n , buena ambientaci├▓n , interpretaciones , fotograf├Ča y canciones memorables .Recomendable.
June 28, 2014
Entertaining and beautifully film "film with music" -- this was Streisand's directorial debut. And, if ever there was a concept for a movie that sounds like it would be odd, dull and strange -- Yentl is it. But, in Streisand's hands, the film unfolds as a uniquely, artistically and charming new take on what a film musical can be. Nothing about this movie should work, but everything about it does.
May 20, 2014
Nostalgic evening, reminiscing and watching this great film!
½ April 24, 2014
Yentl is too light to be drama, but too dark to be a comedy. Instead, Streisand gives it her best, but she can't help this boring movie.
½ January 11, 2014
Streisand is so amazing in what she does regardless. When she sings she reaches depths of emotions with her voice that few can. I feel in myself inwardly. Again this tale is a tale of love and choice and need. And well done by perfectionist Barbara
½ October 20, 2013
I've enjoyed many Babs flicks over the years, but with "Yentl," all I can do is wonder what all the fuss is about. Streisand cannot play a young man. He looks like Barbra Streisand. The plot is unbelievable and her continual song breaks are skilled but so similar.
½ October 13, 2013
Barbra Streisand co-writes, produces, directs, stars and sings in Yentl, yet it never becomes some celebrity vanity project. Rather, it is a fascinating exploration of female repression and empowerment.
August 19, 2013
This has to be one of the strangest concepts for a major Hollywood production: Barbra Streisand adapts a short story by Isaac Bashevis Singer about a woman who disguises herself as a man so that she can attend Yeshiva. ...Into a musical. A 2 hour plus musical. Directed, produced, starring, co-written and co-edited by Streisand herself. And, the amazing thing is that this movie works beautifully. Highly entertaining, filled with a lush musical score, exceptional photography and thoroughly unique in almost every direction - Yentl is a great movie. There are some minor Hollywood conceits that hurt the film - one of the biggest being that Yentl somehow manages to give herself a 1980's Vidal Sassoon Salon-Perfect haircut using an pair of 19th Century shears. And, of course, Streisand neither sounds or looks like a man. However, this may have been part of what she was working at with the movie - the idea that society accepts and believes what it is told. The film also glides past what could have been a deeper psychological study of sexuality and intimate deception. But, this is intended to be an inspiring musical. And, it is just that. In addition to this film being quite good is the entertaining idea that the production ever got a "green light" -- if ever a concept for a movie sounds doomed it would be the concept for Streisand's YENTL. But, the lady knew what she was doing.
½ August 4, 2013
it was enjoyable. I feel like this should appeal to a more Broadway admiring audience. I watch the film and I see nothing ground break or remarkable about it. it just come off to me as an everyday average musical. and the fact that I'm not a Streisand fan shows that I may not have enjoyed it from the start.
½ July 14, 2013
c'Ŕ da dire che pensavo la storia merita.
June 13, 2013
Well done, but Barbara is a bit hammy. Pleasant (although often unmemorable) songs. And again -- doesn't Mandy Patinkin play the pan flute for a living nowadays?!
May 19, 2013
Bit dark as I remember but enjoyable and light romance
½ May 6, 2013
How many times have we seen these types of movies in which men or women assume a different gender to pursue their goals? The good news is "Yentl," Barbra Streisand's directorial debut, is one of the better ones. In fact, it's very good. The movie works because as an actress and a director, Streisand has an unbridled passion for the material, whether she's singing or not. The music is beautiful, especially the song "Papa, Can You Hear Me?". Put that together with Streisand's incredible voice, and you have it made. My only problem is the fact that the movie revolves too much around Streisand as Yentl. We know enough about her character, so why not have other songs sung by the rest of the actors, including Broadway star Mandy Patinkin? Perhaps that's what audiences wanted at the time of the film's release. But otherwise, I don't see why "Yentl" shouldn't deserve praise.