Yes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Yes Reviews

April 15, 2015
Potter shows herself to be a very limited visual stylist. She pulls out every trick from the hack director handbook, from canted angles to Peter Jackson-esque motion blur to overly intrusive foreground texture (get that fucking glass out of the way!) and it is endlessly irritating. I could probably forgive all this (and I do to an extent) if the writing was amazing, but the gender dynamic of the central love triangle is pretty clichéd, and some of the rhymes clang horribly. It does work at times in spite of itself, but not brilliantly.
½ July 3, 2012
I wasn't enjoying this from the start. I didn't enjoy the cleaner doing spats of narration, and the ease in which the main character gave herself to the Lebanese chef. But it was only 30 minutes into the movie when i realized that much of the script was poetry, and the characters were ryming. I then felt i might as well be watching a musical, which i don't like to do, so i switched it off. I don't think it would have got any better
½ March 10, 2012
I love the idea but can't really dig the execution: way too stagey (even the camera tricks feel like an attempt to hide the staginess) and the veer into politics doesn't fit with the whole thing. Still, rather watch something interesting but flawed than a lot of other things.
½ October 3, 2011
with a few of my fav actors, questioning death love and life.
September 19, 2011
YES, 2004, Directed by Sally Potter
YES is a little like Modigliani - about waking up from our sleepwalking, saying YES to life and living it to the full. There's a couple of scenes describing / discussing the opposite of YES; the players decide there is no such thing as NO... nothing can be completely erased, something always remains.

If I were a filmmaker I would make films like Sally Potter's.

It seems that in everyday life for every one word expressed, there are a hundred left unspoken. For every one lucid thought there are a hundred fleeting moments of inspiration and reflection. I too would want to create films that tried to visually express all these unrepresented thoughts and feelings that fully define our shared "human condition" and our personalised experience as we deal with life's challenges. Perhaps our internal worlds are far more vast and fascinating than our external one?

"I wanted to find some cinematic equivalent to the stream of consciousness, I wanted to dismantle the stereotypes of all kinds." - Sally Potter

I liked the film technique in between the intense one on one scenes used to draw back and observe; the change in camera speed and the camera angle that looked down on the players like a security camera, and the cleaners that silently observe the unfolding drama at the edge of a scene.

Sally's films continue to surprise and move me and I look forward to her next project.
June 24, 2011
One of the best movies i've ever seen. It is appealing intellectually, emotionally, and artistically. It celebrates dramatic art and literature, religions, races, political ideologies, love, and the workings of the universe. I find it amazing.
April 20, 2011
I am not really into the whole romance genre but this movie is a total exeption. It has great dialogue that sounds great and adds a whole feel to the movie that is anything but bad.
½ January 22, 2011
I tried, I really did, but I have no patience for poetry recited instead of dialogue between characters. Not even in an indie film. I guess that's good to know.
½ December 29, 2010
This stylized foray into some heavy themes is not so subtle, but works as an overt combustion of passion that suits the poetic dialogue.
½ October 23, 2010
Interesting concept, but ultimately too pretentious and strange to finish. And for me, that's saying a lot.
September 12, 2010
Here's a film that's got great actors, a brilliantly visionary director and an extremely interesting subject of exploring the love between a western woman and a Middle-Eastern man with a traditionally patriarcal upbringing. This would be a completely ingenious film if the dialog wouldn't be completely in rhymes. A curious addition to the movie, but one that really put me off. I must say that everything else works perfectly though, and I absolutely think that â??Yesâ?? is a movie worth seeing because of the themes, ideas and corageous originality.
½ September 2, 2010
Sally Potter's bold and fascinating experiment is a deeply affecting film. When one can accept Potter's premise; as a response to 9/11 and to some our greatest modern conflicts - faith, politics and sex, it was a pleasure embarking on Potter's challenging soliloquy. It successfully communicates powerful, abstract messages and proposes a broader amnesty between East and West, man and woman. Highly recommended.
August 10, 2010
One of the best movies written in these times, 2004. This is like discovering Van Gogh before he dies. This is a masterful creation, except for the performance of Sam Neill, who apparently doesn't have rhythm.

This movie is a study of the human condition, 2004, written in prose. Let's see, the only other time that's put in a movie, is just about every musical. Right, a musical is prose put to music. The lines are crafted with care for both the meaning and the patter created by the arrangement.

Acting is robust and convincing, (even Neill) with Joan Allen and Simon Abkarian connecting with each other on several levels. Camera-work is an entire film school study in perfection.

Shirley Henderson plays the three hags to perfection. She has an eye for art when she picks a part that suits her.

What makes this movie so hard to watch is that there is so little time to appreciate the beauty of the words as they fly by. Perhaps that is why we read Shakespeare more than we watch him performed.

½ July 18, 2010
good movie &sweet story
½ May 9, 2010
beautiful and fascinating. original and poetic. fab!
½ February 19, 2010
Casi me hago mujer con ésta película, ¡Cuánto estrógeno!. Se me hizo cursi, choreadora e inverosímil como pocas. ?Corté con mi novia porque me acordé que era gringa y que los gringos quieren dominar al mundo?.- Sí, aja. Lo único que me pareció hasta cierto punto bueno, fue el asunto de la gente de servicio que normalmente nadie pela
½ February 12, 2010
The only people who find Cuba are those in the movie. Great movie though.
January 13, 2010
Elegantti rakkaustarina. Ja siivoojista kiitosta.