You Only Live Twice - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

You Only Live Twice Reviews

October 24, 2016
Despite it's high entertainment value, this is the first bond movie to amp up it's ridiculousness factor to a level that would remain a hallmark of all of Lewis Gilbert's bond movies to come. The same could be said for Guy Hamilton.

A big bold, Bond movie that's a lot of fun...just a lot sillier than Connery's previous outings by a country mile.
October 22, 2016
In Japan, Went downhill a little toward end, shootouts are terrible, some effects good/bad. Shows spectre dude
July 29, 2016
Another Bond film that people don't really remember apart from the soundtrack and the fact that we finally get to see the leader of Spectre Dr Evil oops I mean number 1, The plot is pretty silly just like most of the gadgets in this film like the tiny one person helicopter that manages to fight 4 other helicopters with ease plus there's also some other non needed gadgets too, Having said that there was some nice little stunts and the action was ok, But it never leaves its comfort zone and nothing is really new to speak of and that's why it's never one of the first 007 films we think of.
July 24, 2016
Better than Thunderball, not as good as the first 3. Connery seems to be disinterested with James Bond as a whole at this point. However great effects and well written nevertheless.
½ July 23, 2016
7 out of 10:

Despite that the story is bland and generic and it's a bit formulaic, the action and exotic film locations really make up for the flaws in You Only Live Twice.
½ July 23, 2016
You Only Live Twice is one of the most fun Bond films, and the most iconic. Second best Connery.
July 20, 2016
It's a mess but enjoyable. Despite being pretty misogynistic, the scope of the film is very "Bond" with lavish scenery, exploitation fight sequences and a memorable villain.
½ July 17, 2016
Action-packed, Sexy, and rich with Japanese culture, You Only Live Twice has James Bond continue on his battle with Good old Blofeld
½ July 12, 2016
Everything is really engaging in this film until the third act inevitable war between SPECTRE and the Japanese Secret Service, which becomes a shooting gallery with no story left to tell. Looking back at the Connery films reminds me of the kind of energy Sam Mendes is bringing back to the Bond series, a relief from the over adrenaline filled Quantum of Solace and blatant silliness of Die Another Day. These movies took their time, settled Bond into situations, got him familiar with the bad guys before going to war, had him living a little bit of life in the cultures he explored (i.e. sumo wrestling, saki, and Japanese baths). The scenery is often breathtaking, the action is fun, the women are beautiful, and the situations are interesting with high stakes. Banking on the tension of the paranoid Cold War, Bond films used the conflict as a backdrop to play on the audience concerns of the time, only to cleverly reveal its villains lie in a privatized war between them. In this film, the US and Russia are engaged in a space race, sending vessels beyond the atmosphere to explore outer regions, while SPECTRE captures them and frames each respective country, their leaders believing the other nation is responsible. Only Bond and the Secret Service can look through official information and uncover conspiracies within. Makes one hope Bond is out there now looking between the cracks of the US government and Al Quadea!
½ July 11, 2016
Not too bad. The underground, volcano lair and the scar-faced bad guy bring me back, again, to Austin Powers. Loved the raggedy helicopter scene.
½ June 13, 2016
WHAT I LIKED: With the stakes raised, we see a harsher side to Bond's character and some pretty exciting new environments. What's more, the cold-war plot allows for some against the clock tension, and abolishes some of the cringe-worthy humour of the previous installments
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: Sadly, it's not Connery's best installment - over-abundant 'explosive' action and endless scored montages manage to extinguish my engagement. It's sexism/racism can be cringey to endure, too.
VERDICT: It might make you tense sometimes, and it might appear explosive, but 'You only live twice' can't live up to it's predecessors.
May 16, 2016
Solid Bond movie. 83 out of 100
April 25, 2016
This is the 5th James bond movie. It is better then the first 4. The 7th James bond movie Diamonds are forever is better. This is a great movie. See it.
March 28, 2016
Really cool way to introduce Blofeld into the franchise. A bit cheesy in parts, but hey, it's a Bond movie. It still kept my attention.
March 25, 2016
The first two acts tend to drag, but You Only Live Twice closes on a magnificent final act boasting the most iconic adaptation of Blofeld in Donald Pleasance. There are ridiculous subplots, such as Bond getting surgery to become Asian (which is insane by Moonraker's standards), but the gorgeous theme song and riveting climax make up for many of the movie's faults.
March 9, 2016
Distractingly sexist, the only thing worth enjoying about You Only Live Twice is the music.
½ February 22, 2016
You Only Live Twice is a bit over-the-top, but Donald Pleasence is one of the most intriguing villains there is, and Sean Connery delivers a solid Bond in a cool action flick.
February 19, 2016
The film that got me into the franchise all those years ago, and I found it enchanting even though it was confusing to my young mind at the time. Who was this guy who made plastic surgery look like he was merely getting a haircut? How could he become a ninja on what seemed like an intensive weekend course? Why did he have a really elaborate fake wedding (which possibly was a really valid one because Hell I didn't know what a traditional Japanese marriage ceremony consisted of)? How is it that a school of piranha blow bubbles when they're travelling? Regardless, this guy was smooth as silk, handled a weapon with immense skill, and had a damn evil looking antagonist, and to top it all off, flew a mini-helicopter like a boss. I was hooked for life.
February 6, 2016
Another great bond film starring the legendary sean connery. You only live twice sees bond in japan investigating after a US and a Soviet satellite get intercepted. Some many iconic moments in this film such as the theme tune and blofeld the films antagonist. An explosive finale, with a high body count, you only live twice is another classic bond.