You Only Live Twice - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

You Only Live Twice Reviews

½ November 7, 2017
You wouldn't think that spaceships, ninjas with guns, and Donald Pleasence would make a good James Bond movie, but you'd be wrong. You Only Live Twice is a very underrated Bond film, and features the best villain in the entire franchise; Donald Pleasence as Ernst Stavro Blofeld.
October 21, 2017
The finale of You Only Live Twice is arguably the best in all of Bond, with the introduction of the most iconic villain in cinema history, the most impressive film set ever built, and a beautifully done battle sequence that blows Thunderball's finale out of the water (pun intended). If only that first two-thirds wasn't so painfully dull, and if only Sean Connery could've bothered to act this time around. His boredom is palpable, folks.
½ September 30, 2017
The reveal of Blofeld! It saves the movie really. Kidnapping astronauts? It seems economically unnecessary.
½ September 24, 2017
This is my favourite Connery Bond film. I love the plot which is totally silly of course but just about works, and I love the action which doesn't stop in this film. I also love the setting of Japan which is used to very good effect. It's a very fluid film which I find very exciting .
September 7, 2017
Quite a big-scale film with lots of impressive (and some not so impressive) effects and wonderful locations. Moreover the first where Blofeld's face is seen as he confronts Bond, and that's a plus. We also have to endure a failed attempt to make Connery look Japanese, which is a minus. But the main drawback for me was that, even though the first act was quite intriguing, I found the story to be not as captivating as possible, and, you know, no matter how much hell breaks loose, that counts too.
September 5, 2017
first half is good but the other half is just boring. great villain
½ September 2, 2017
Although the You Only Live Twice part of the movie is pointless, You Only Live Twice is still a solid Bond movie. It has amazing action, especially in the ending climax, and a nice Japanese setting. Where this film falls is its plot and villain. A giant ship that swallows whole spacecraft is just stupid and Blofield is barely in this movie, and the parts he is in are just flat. He is an uninteresting villain. That being said, YOLT is pretty good and it deserves a spot as one of the best Bond movies.
August 23, 2017
It was more a comedy as a action movie for me :) When i had watched it for 40 years i would love it maybe,but not now :) Too old for me
½ July 25, 2017
You Only Live Twice has some great action and visual effects along with a great villain from Pleasance, yet none of this can redeem the sluggish plot, the ridiculousness of introducing ninjas and making Connery appear Asian to no effect, but most of all the lack of charm and wit in Connerys usually iconic role of Bond, making the whole film feel like a dull, middling addition to the Bond series.
July 20, 2017
The first Bond from director Lewis Gilbert - who would return for The Spy Who Loved Me and Moonraker - is similarly over-the-top, but Connery gounds it a bit. It is still quite silly, though, and at times a bit culturally insensitive to modern eyes. The movie also loses points with me (an Australian) by casting an English actor (future terrible Blofeld Charles Gray) as the only Aussie character to appear in a Fleming novel (based on a real Aussie dude). Boo! Akiko Wakabayashi is good as Aki - better than Mie Hama as Kissy. I don't like Donald Pleasence, so I cannot condone his Blofeld, despite many considering it the best (give me Telly any day). Little Nellie is good fun, but surely all those guns and things would weigh her down... Oh, right - this is the one with the hollwed-out volcano lair, so logic isn't paramount. The theme song is OK, and John Barry's score is tops, as always. Not terrible, but probably Connery's weakest entry - until Diamonds Are Forever, that is.
½ June 26, 2017
An ok plot and villain. Sean Connery's performance is not that good this time around. The final act was exciting though.

6.8/10
May 27, 2017
The fifth Bond film continues the series trajectory of upping the ante to the point where it becomes the first (but certainly not the last) to go overboard. The ambition isn't quite matched by the budget and technology of the time nor the concept by the story-telling. Many elements stretch credulity, but they are at least fun and memorable and Connery helps sell them, even his acting doesn't quite hit the mark this time around. It is also disappointing as a culmination of the build-up from the 3 previous SPECTRE films; the villain is finally revealed and the lacklustre writing and actor's lack of menance combines to make it pretty anti-climatic. Still there are many top moments and the sheer entertainment value of the film make the short-comings hard to begrudge.
May 23, 2017
Not a meomerable film. One of the bad Bond films
½ May 23, 2017
The Ian Fleming novel of You Only Live Twice was one of his most interesting. It featured a castle-bound villain who tended to his garden of exotic, deadly plants to dispose of trespassers, wearing a suit of armour to protect himself. Meanwhile, Bond is ridden with amnesia and becomes a liability to the secret service. Sadly, none of these elements were used in the film treatment- Despite the hiring of the highly imaginative children's writer Roald Dahl to pen the script. What results is a cliched, clumsy travelogue of Japan helped little by Connery's laziest performance as the iconic superspy. The revisionists will argue it's merits in the afirmative and if that is the case maybe we can re-appraise some of the Moore episodes!
½ April 30, 2017
Sadly, YOLT is showing its age. What was cutting edge and exciting in the late-sixties now looks creaky and slow, and - shock horror - that even includes Ken Adams' forced perspective volcano interior. Roald Dahl's screenplay plays up Bond's sexism, Connery rather phones in his performance, and the final explosive twenty minutes are tedious. At least there's Donald Pleasence laying down the template for Mike Myers' Dr Evil - and John Barry's fine score.
February 26, 2017
Another brilliant performance by Connery still on top of his game as Bond. Brilliant soundtrack and future hit Millennium that followed years later
½ February 17, 2017
½ January 29, 2017
Slightly better pacing than the previous attempts, but still ridiculous. No one is buying Sean Connery as a Japanese fisherman.
½ January 21, 2017
You only live twice, adds more action and a memorable performance by Donald Pleasence as the villainous Blofeld. It's not the best the series will offer but is a step up from Connery's last effort as the super spy.