Young Frankenstein - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Young Frankenstein Reviews

July 14, 2017
My favorite Mel Brooks/Gene Wilder collaboration it , in my opinion, ranks among the funniest movies of all time. An excellent cast who all work to create a classic movie.
½ July 7, 2017
Subtle humor done right. Absolutely perfect.
½ July 1, 2017
A hilarious homage/spoof of the original Frankenstein movies (that's Fronkensteen) aided by its outrageous characters. One of my favorite comedies of all-time.
June 30, 2017
A great and hilarious movie!
½ June 29, 2017
A movie well ahead of its time, 'Young Frankenstein' isn't as funny as some of Mel Brooks' other films, but it's the best. Final Score: 8.9/10
½ June 28, 2017
This is a good movie, but isn't really as hilarious as everyone says it is. "Young Frankenstein" has its moments, and is mostly pretty enjoyable.
June 16, 2017
I would give this film a 95% overall rating.
June 15, 2017
10 out of 10:

Young Frankenstein manages to stay accurate to its source material with funny moments, memorable dialogue, and an insane performance from Gene Wilder.
½ June 15, 2017
Comic writing and performances at its best. The writing, timing, and performances from the cast are the best in any comedic picture.
June 7, 2017
A great spoof from the mind of Mel Brooks brings plenty of laughs along the way. Likely a film that gets better with each viewing.
June 3, 2017
Perfect way to wash out the terrible feeling of "Wonder" I was supposed to feel this weekend!
May 25, 2017
The greatest movie of all time!
May 6, 2017
Never have I laughed so hard at the ending of a comedy. Wonderful stuff.
April 26, 2017
One of the best Gene Wilder performances of his career. So sad he died in August of 2016. Overall, a HILARIOUS movie!
March 19, 2017
This is by far the best movie made by Mel Brooks. Gene Wilder is excellent in the role of the descendant of Dr Frankenstein. And the fact that it was made in Back & White just helps create the ultimate finish to a horror spoof.
½ February 19, 2017
Feldman steals the show, and a funny show it is, too.
February 14, 2017
While I don't like it as much as most, I will not deny that this is FUNNY. Other crappy spoof movies need to take notes from this and Mel Brooks' other classic spoofs.
February 13, 2017
Only Igor kinda funny. Liked the atmosphere
½ February 10, 2017
Many years ago I saw Young Frankenstein and I remember enjoying it just like I do with almost all Mel Brooks movies. It wasn't until this rewatch that I realized...it might be his best movie. The effort they put into making it look like a classic black-and-white monster movie is totally worth it. It feels like the perfect spoof of a classic.

Gene Wilder is hilarious. He plays anger for comedy better than anyone I know. The opening scene where he starts ranting at a student in his class was great! One of my favorite aspects was how Wilder and Marty Feldman played off each other. That kind of silly banter is totally my kind of comedy. "There wolf" is such a stupid joke but I was laughing so hard.

There's lots of other great performances by amazing actors in this movie. Peter Boyle, Madeline Kahn, Teri Garr, etc. and all of them are at the top of their game. There's even a cameo by an unrecognizable Gene Hackman that was great. I suppose what I'm trying to say is that Young Frankenstein really worked for me. It's a superb comedy, and it reminds me how great spoof movies used to be.
January 24, 2017
Comedy classic that remains one of the best spoofs ever made and is probably even better than "Blazing Saddles". The cast is superb, with Gene Wilder giving the performance of his career as the title character, giving a neurotic energy to Frankenstein. He gets wonderful support from the rest of the cast, particularly Marty Feldman who steals every scene with his distinctive eyes alone, while Peter Boyle as the Monster brings life with every movement & grunt. Behind the camera, Mel Brooks (with a fantastic story crafted by Gene Wilder himself) pays a loving tribute to the classic Universal monster movies, shooting the film in the same style & black & white (a move that nearly cost the film it's funding), while the actors capture the overacting style. The film is filled with so many sight-gags & one-liners, you will get a new laugh with each viewing. Plus, it's even sharper than Brooks's other classic, "Blazing Saddles", which says a lot since that is another comedy classic. Simply put, one of the funniest movies ever made and only gets funnier with age.