Young Frankenstein - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Young Frankenstein Reviews

December 18, 2017
Easily one of my favorite movies. Most people notice more gags after watching it several times I have found. Truly hilarious and dry humour that works very well.
½ December 9, 2017
a skillful homage/parody, but the shine has come off some of the gags.
½ November 24, 2017
I'm going to be a heretic here. After a few attempts I finally made it all the way through Young Frankenstein...and it just isn't funny, at all. The jokes are so lame, there's no wit, style or sophistication. Even the worst thing Woody Allen has ever done is like Shakespeare compared with this desperately unfunny offering. A comedy film for those without a sense of humour, perhaps? Notwithstanding the lack of any laughs, the film is beautifully shot and is a loving tribute to the Universal Frankenstein movies.
October 31, 2017
Mel Brooks directs this hilarious spoof of Mary Shelley's original source material with witty dialogue and brilliant performances by Gene Wilder and Peter Boyle as well as paying homage to horror films of the alike.
½ October 28, 2017
its a great family movie, funny jokes. i give it a 4 and a half because there are a couple curse words. i recommend it for nine and up maybe ten and up.
October 25, 2017
My favorite Mel Brooks film!
October 22, 2017
Loved this again Mel brooks zany comedy. Gene wilder is brilliant
October 7, 2017
Comedic gold was spun in 1974 when Mel Brooks and Gene Wilder hatched and laid the masterpiece that was Young Frankenstein. It's one of the most popular and well-respected comedy films of all time and it isn't difficult to understand why. You'd have be dead and brought back to life if you couldn't find humor in this wonderful movie. While Blazing Saddles solidified Mel Brooks as the master of the spoof film, it was Young Frankenstein that set in stone. The performances are wonderful, the look of the film is fantastic and the score is just pitch-perfect. I'd recommend this to anyone with a funny bone to tickle. For those who just can't recognize genius when they see it, DAMN YOUR EYES!!... too late.
October 6, 2017
A spoof in the guise of a spin-off/sequel, this Brooks film is funny, occasionally irreverent, and in any case, probably a worthy addition to the classic monster's legacy.
September 27, 2017
Never have I laughed so hard at the ending of a comedy. Wonderful stuff.
September 27, 2017
Some funny moments but nothing good really
August 20, 2017
I consider it a classic in its own right, as a comedy. While parts are over the top silly, other parts are slightly more serious, and seem a throwback to the original.
August 11, 2017
I feel like there's something I'm just not getting with this movie, everyone else seems to like it but all I see is a movie where some jokes land and I found myself laughing but most of the jokes have something to do with sex and aren't really funny and then there are the jokes that just don't make any sense but the movies acts as though they are knee-slappers
July 30, 2017
I have a hard time believing anyone would give this film a poor rating. I don't contend that it's the greatest film of all time. But I don't know of a comedy that is definitively better. It's classic humor modernized(at its time) and excellently executed by an ensemble cast that delivers flawless performances. Perfectly paced and presented with self-awareness and wonderfully crafted homages to vintage horror hallmarks while adding smart originality of a comedic bent. Feldman, Wilder, Kahn, Leachman and Brooks at their finest and funniest.
½ July 27, 2017
Werewolf to Therewolf to Therehorse to Therecastle is one of the best jokes ever.
July 25, 2017
Relentlessly silly, as Mel Brooks movies tend to go. Gene Wilder's role in the screenwriting is apparent though, compared to Brooks' solo works. Wilder keeps the satire in sharp focus, allowing the silliest of jokes to remain in line with the homage/parody of classic horror movies. The results hit far more often than miss, but there are so many great jokes that the misses may actually be weaker hits. Flawless recreation of 1930s cinematography / score / lighting, used for both jarringly funny jokes and plot development (ex. The mysterious violin we had assumed was just the score). Awesome use of editing to pack greater punches in the jokes. JOKE SPOILER: The best example of this is the sexual "tension" between Dr. Frunkunshteen (Gene Wilder) and his assistant Inga (Teri Garr). For most of the film, it seems entirely one-sided, Inga reading everything that the Doctor says in a sexual way. Near the end of the movie, Inga continues to flirt, only for the Doctor to have a seemingly non-sexual revelation. (Like, dude, how are you NOT seeing this?) Cut to next scene in an empty laboratory, when innocuous dialogue is traded while the camera slowly pans to the Doctor and Inga naked under the covers. So wonderful. Gosh, the acting, too. Gene Wilder may have the most screen time, but this feels much more like an ensemble work. Peter Boyle as the Monster, Marty Feldman as Igor, Madeline Kahn as Elizabeth the eventual Bride of the Monster, Cloris Leachman as Frau Blucher (NNNNEEEEIIIIGGHGHHBBRBRRB), even a cameo from Gene Hackman, pretty famous at the time for his starring role in The French Connection, as a Transylvanian blind man looking for a friend to share soup, cigars, and espresso with. It's easier to appreciate Young Frankenstein if you have seen films like, duh, Frankenstein, but the jokes in this parody are aplenty and so tangible that it well stands the test of time. Even the "Puttin' on the Ritz" routine, thanks to Peter Boyle's autistic enthusiasm for singing and dancing. You laugh with him, not at him -- Key to a fantastic parody.
July 14, 2017
My favorite Mel Brooks/Gene Wilder collaboration it , in my opinion, ranks among the funniest movies of all time. An excellent cast who all work to create a classic movie.
½ July 7, 2017
Subtle humor done right. Absolutely perfect.
½ July 1, 2017
A hilarious homage/spoof of the original Frankenstein movies (that's Fronkensteen) aided by its outrageous characters. One of my favorite comedies of all-time.
June 30, 2017
A great and hilarious movie!