Young Frankenstein - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Young Frankenstein Reviews

January 15, 2017
My personal favorite Mel Brooks movie, and I would argue the best parody film ever made. Modern spoof movies, please take note. What Brooks has done here is painstakingly recreate the atmosphere and design of the original Universal horror classic. He has set this up to be what looks like a legitimate film from that genre and era but then he completely turns it on his head. He's not just tossing in random references to past movies or trends. There's a set up for a joke that uses a reference to deliver the punchline. There's honest to God affection for these older horror films on display here.

As always, the casting is perfect. Gene Wilder, Peter Boyle, Marty Feldman, Terri Garr, Madeline Kahn, and Kenneth Mars (my favorite actor in this movie) all do an excellent job playing the material straight while still winking at the camera. It's the right balance.

Young Frankenstein is a perfect comedy with a heart.
January 5, 2017
Funnier than I expected. Clever humor and a fun twist on a classic story!
December 18, 2016
Mel Brook's masterpiece.
December 10, 2016
Yes this is my first time seeing this highly regarded film and I wish I had seen it sooner. With solid performances, great production, a huge amount of gags throughout, a good score and an iconic dance number to boot this is a spoof that might not be high brow but is funny nonetheless.
December 1, 2016
"It's alive!..." On Blu-ray.
½ November 30, 2016
Young Frankenstein is very well made technically and so well acted with Gene Wilder being excellent in his iconic role and the film is quite funny at times with a couple of terrific scenes, but it is overall pretty uneven with some jokes being great, but with others being not so great. It doesn't quite succeeds as a parody film as it only manages to utilize its premise in approximately half of the movie with the other half being dull, unfunny and forgettable. It is a solid, but very disappointing film.
November 15, 2016
There is no way I can classify this as a horror movie. But this is one of the greatest comedy movies of all time no questions asked. With an all star cast of Gene Wilder, Peter Boyle, Madeline Kahn, cloris Leachman, and marty feildman you cant go wrong. Especially when you have the legendary Mel Brooks. In Robin hood : men in tights Mel says a joke : " Loxley and bagel, can't miss" I feel the same with Brooks and wilder.

If you have not seen this movie I am seriously wondering why you havent
truely amazing movie.
½ November 1, 2016
A hilarious film with some truly excellent performances.
October 24, 2016
Some funny stuff here, might be brooks' best.
October 5, 2016
One of the best comedies of all time. A classic.
½ September 22, 2016
This is my favourite Mel Brooks film. Parody at its finest! The use of original Frankenstein movie set pieces / instruments is great addition and references to several characters and incidents from several other Frankenstein films/books adds many inside jokes. I literally love the cast, too. Perfect. Rating: 9 / 10
September 21, 2016
Loved it, Wilder's most famous, and in my opinion, his best work.
½ September 17, 2016
Fun, funny, and entertaining! A great cast!
September 15, 2016
Young Frankenstein more than a spoof feels like an homage to classic monster cinema, to black and white horror movies, plus the humor that Gene Wilder brings with his amazing performance and the clever/funny script by him and Mel Brooks, one of the best spoofs and a beautiful homage to monster movies.
September 14, 2016
Young Frankenstein is directed and co-written by Mel Brooks, and it stars Gene Wilder, Peter Boyle, Marty Feldman, Cloris Leachman, and Teri Garr in a parody film of Frankenstein about a grandson of Dr. Victor Frankenstein that doesn't want any involvement with his grandfather's work, that is until he goes to his grandpa's place to see what he has done. When I saw Gene Wilder's passing, I felt like watching one of his well known films which is this, which when I first saw this movie, I thought it was boring and but only have some chuckle moments, but I was at my teen years at the time, so I wasn't quite getting a grasp of Mel Brooks films. So at second viewing, this is a lot better than I first saw of it. Gene Wilder is great for being the straight man, but when he goes insane, it's a lot of fun to watch. It has a cameo by Gene Hackman who is known for his serious and villainous roles, and he's probably one of the funniest parts of the film. I was relived to see that I didn't need to watch the original film in order to understand the jokes in this as I'm assuming that the serious parts that were in the original film were played in a comedic way that doesn't make fun of the film that was making a parody of. The jokes really work in a very silly way, and the characters are very memorable in a way that they are very funny. It does show that they are making this as a bit of a tribute to the original film as they care very much about it, and probably wanted to be similar to the movie. Young Frankenstein is a classic comedy that is one of Mel Brooks's best.
September 12, 2016
A.B.S.O.L.U.T.E.L.Y A.N A.M.A.Z.I.N.G MEL BROOKS C.L.A.S.S.I.C!!!!!!
September 11, 2016
Young Frankenstein is a goofy, silly film that feels like a sequel to the original with Gene Wilder's brilliant performance of wackiness to the flair. Also, the ensemble cast, they were all funny
September 7, 2016
If you think this movie deserves less than five stars, we cannot be friends.