Young Frankenstein - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Young Frankenstein Reviews

August 20, 2017
I consider it a classic in its own right, as a comedy. While parts are over the top silly, other parts are slightly more serious, and seem a throwback to the original.
August 11, 2017
I feel like there's something I'm just not getting with this movie, everyone else seems to like it but all I see is a movie where some jokes land and I found myself laughing but most of the jokes have something to do with sex and aren't really funny and then there are the jokes that just don't make any sense but the movies acts as though they are knee-slappers
July 30, 2017
I have a hard time believing anyone would give this film a poor rating. I don't contend that it's the greatest film of all time. But I don't know of a comedy that is definitively better. It's classic humor modernized(at its time) and excellently executed by an ensemble cast that delivers flawless performances. Perfectly paced and presented with self-awareness and wonderfully crafted homages to vintage horror hallmarks while adding smart originality of a comedic bent. Feldman, Wilder, Kahn, Leachman and Brooks at their finest and funniest.
½ July 27, 2017
Werewolf to Therewolf to Therehorse to Therecastle is one of the best jokes ever.
July 25, 2017
Relentlessly silly, as Mel Brooks movies tend to go. Gene Wilder's role in the screenwriting is apparent though, compared to Brooks' solo works. Wilder keeps the satire in sharp focus, allowing the silliest of jokes to remain in line with the homage/parody of classic horror movies. The results hit far more often than miss, but there are so many great jokes that the misses may actually be weaker hits. Flawless recreation of 1930s cinematography / score / lighting, used for both jarringly funny jokes and plot development (ex. The mysterious violin we had assumed was just the score). Awesome use of editing to pack greater punches in the jokes. JOKE SPOILER: The best example of this is the sexual "tension" between Dr. Frunkunshteen (Gene Wilder) and his assistant Inga (Teri Garr). For most of the film, it seems entirely one-sided, Inga reading everything that the Doctor says in a sexual way. Near the end of the movie, Inga continues to flirt, only for the Doctor to have a seemingly non-sexual revelation. (Like, dude, how are you NOT seeing this?) Cut to next scene in an empty laboratory, when innocuous dialogue is traded while the camera slowly pans to the Doctor and Inga naked under the covers. So wonderful. Gosh, the acting, too. Gene Wilder may have the most screen time, but this feels much more like an ensemble work. Peter Boyle as the Monster, Marty Feldman as Igor, Madeline Kahn as Elizabeth the eventual Bride of the Monster, Cloris Leachman as Frau Blucher (NNNNEEEEIIIIGGHGHHBBRBRRB), even a cameo from Gene Hackman, pretty famous at the time for his starring role in The French Connection, as a Transylvanian blind man looking for a friend to share soup, cigars, and espresso with. It's easier to appreciate Young Frankenstein if you have seen films like, duh, Frankenstein, but the jokes in this parody are aplenty and so tangible that it well stands the test of time. Even the "Puttin' on the Ritz" routine, thanks to Peter Boyle's autistic enthusiasm for singing and dancing. You laugh with him, not at him -- Key to a fantastic parody.
July 14, 2017
My favorite Mel Brooks/Gene Wilder collaboration it , in my opinion, ranks among the funniest movies of all time. An excellent cast who all work to create a classic movie.
½ July 7, 2017
Subtle humor done right. Absolutely perfect.
½ July 1, 2017
A hilarious homage/spoof of the original Frankenstein movies (that's Fronkensteen) aided by its outrageous characters. One of my favorite comedies of all-time.
June 30, 2017
A great and hilarious movie!
½ June 29, 2017
A movie well ahead of its time, 'Young Frankenstein' isn't as funny as some of Mel Brooks' other films, but it's the best. Final Score: 8.9/10
½ June 28, 2017
This is a good movie, but isn't really as hilarious as everyone says it is. "Young Frankenstein" has its moments, and is mostly pretty enjoyable.
June 16, 2017
I would give this film a 95% overall rating.
June 15, 2017
10 out of 10:

Young Frankenstein manages to stay accurate to its source material with funny moments, memorable dialogue, and an insane performance from Gene Wilder.
½ June 15, 2017
Comic writing and performances at its best. The writing, timing, and performances from the cast are the best in any comedic picture.
June 7, 2017
A great spoof from the mind of Mel Brooks brings plenty of laughs along the way. Likely a film that gets better with each viewing.
June 3, 2017
Perfect way to wash out the terrible feeling of "Wonder" I was supposed to feel this weekend!
May 25, 2017
The greatest movie of all time!
May 6, 2017
Never have I laughed so hard at the ending of a comedy. Wonderful stuff.
April 26, 2017
One of the best Gene Wilder performances of his career. So sad he died in August of 2016. Overall, a HILARIOUS movie!
March 19, 2017
This is by far the best movie made by Mel Brooks. Gene Wilder is excellent in the role of the descendant of Dr Frankenstein. And the fact that it was made in Back & White just helps create the ultimate finish to a horror spoof.