Arrested Development: Season 1 Reviews

• Sep 04, 2019

Like "It's Always Sunny" you have to watch from the beginning or you won't get most of the humor and character development.

• Mar 13, 2019

Easliy one of my favorite seasons of television ever made.

Easliy one of my favorite seasons of television ever made.

• Feb 04, 2019

A TV show with the perfect characters and setting for comedy. The perfect depiction of a dysfunctional family.

• Nov 29, 2018

This Is by far the best show I have ever seen! If you want to binge watch a well written/ hilarious show...look no further.

• Jul 08, 2018

Arrested Development is a rare case of steady direction, hilarious and well-written script and a talented ensemble cast that combine to deliver a great comedy sitcom.

• Jun 12, 2018

I guess you love it or hate it. I hate it. In the face of overwhelming opposition, I can't even be bothered to say why.

• Jan 17, 2018

One of my personal favourite examples of single camera sitcom is arrested development, a satirical comedy that follows the life of Michael (Jason Bateman) who leads his strange family and their real-estate development business following a securities fraud situation caused by his own father. Along the way, Tobias (David Cross) directs Maeby (Alia Shkat) in a school play, and George Sr. (Jeffery Tambor) calls on Gob (Will Arnett) to cover a company error. A young Michael Cera, Jessica Walter, Tony Hale, Portia De Rossi, Henry Winkler and Liza Minneli also star throughout. This show received incredible scores from critics worldwide, receiving 100% on rotten tomatoes and each episode receiving no lower than an 8/10 on imdb. It’s brilliantly innovative for the more mature viewers and is honestly heaven-sent for anyone who’s been longing for something outside of the comedy norm. It’s comedy is so unique using an interesting meta narrative. Arrested development is produced by Ron Howard, who also serves as narrator throughout the duration of the programme, He’s the ideal comic choice: a down to earth, family friendly voice subversively put to the service of a comedy about a wildly dysfunctional family. The closest the Bluth family comes to normal is in the form of Michael (Jason Bateman’s character) a hardworking widower with a 13-year-old son named George Michael, a name choice that proves his dad is a bit off himself. Although off, his intentions are pure, Michael has spent his life sacrificing for the Bluth family development business, but his reward he thinks, is on the way: A long, expected partnership. It’s safe to say out of all the family members he’s certainly the only sibling who deserves a promotion. His twin sister, Lindsay spends the family money on losing causes, such as an anti-circumcision movement. And as for his older brother Gob is a failed magician: and his younger brother Buster… well he just generally fails at everything he participates in. And finally, we have Lindsay’s husband, Tobias is an ex-doctor who is assumed to be gay by everyone... including Lindsay. Yet instead of promoting Michael, George Bluth Sr. gives the job to Michael’s brittle mother and then promptly gets dragged off to jail by the SEC. This show is a great example of single camera drama, the comedic value is high whilst still engaging audiences throughout. It uses traditional single camera techniques, yet also stays unique and gives audiences a completely new experience by introducing incredibly well written characters, there quirky mannerisms will sometimes leave you in stitches, these characters paired with the sarcastic narration is just fantastic. As previously mentioned we follow a Meta narrative it isn’t as straight forward as most shows placed within the same category.

• Jun 27, 2017

Incredible television. I long for a comedic TV shows as brilliantly executed as Arrested Development.

• Mar 29, 2017

Extremely well acted, although it's less noticeable when the show's not funny. Aside from the first three episodes, and Episode 11, I barely laughed. Not quite sure why everyone likes this so much.

• Jan 26, 2017

It's hilarious and unpredictable; nuanced and complex; well-written and well-acted. (The Original) Arrested Development rests at the pinnacle of the Mt. Everest of TV-Sitcoms.